seriously WTF

runswithneedles

While reading through an H&P on a pt I transferred I came to the plan section and this is that the MD wrote

The patient has been hospitalized and will be continued on IV antibiotics one more day, although, she is going to be discharged at this time. We will consider discharging her tomorrow

What the hell is the doc doing. carrying on a argument with his alter ego in his report?

Edited by runswithneedles

Here's what Doc meant to say and how they should have written it:

"The patient has been hospitalized and is now potentially nearing discharge. Patient will be continued on IV antibiotics one more day; we will consider discharging her tomorrow."

Pardon my "rascism" is showing. But really?? The Indians fucked up dell tech support and you cant understand a damn word they say and now MD/Residents cant write a damn report to save their life.....UGHHHHHHH!!! Ive seen basic students write better SOAP narratives.

I am going to play Devils advocate here Needles; how do you know the Doctor who wrote that report was not an extremely tired House Surgeon on the last minutes of his shift before going home having just worked 12 or 14 hours only to come back in some hours and do it all again, which would make it his six or seventh consecutive night of working?

The piddly little bit of a narrative on your PRF and some check boxes pales in comparison to an actual medical note or progress entry that a Physician will write. Documentation often the last thing the Doctor will write on a patient, and it may be written hours after-the-fact; and unlike you who has one one patient at a time a Doctor, particularly a House Surgeon or Registrar in the Emergency Department will have many patients, sometimes up to a half dozen or more at any one time, they have to assess them, formulate a diagnosis and treatment plan, keep the Consultant off their back, arrange admissions with the acute House Officer/ Registrar and do eleventy billion other things ... then they have to write it all up.

You really don't have base of knowledge or experience to criticise this time mate.

If you're interested, I know the House Surgeon who is covering night shift at the ED two blocks from my house would love you to go down there and write up all her medical notes.

I am going to play Devils advocate here Needles; how do you know the Doctor who wrote that report was not an extremely tired House Surgeon on the last minutes of his shift before going home having just worked 12 or 14 hours only to come back in some hours and do it all again, which would make it his six or seventh consecutive night of working?

Woops. Did I seriously write that?!?! Okay im done. Im becoming a bludgering idiot. Im heading to bed. *Note: Ive spoke with the Doc/resident several times on other patients. And his accent is freaking horrible. But hes taught me quite a bit.*

I wasnt intending for criticizing. Just "taking the piss" I think is what its called.

Sorry kiwi. That was embarrassing

I wasnt intending for criticizing. Just "taking the piss" I think is what its called.

Taking the piss is having a joke, don't try to use knowledge I gave you to weasel out of making a dickhead of yourself :D

I might have to slap you round the head with a jandal like those big Pacific Islander momma's in South Auckland do

Edited by kiwimedic

Woops. Did I seriously write that?!?! Okay im done. Im becoming a bludgering idiot. Im heading to bed. *Note: Ive spoke with the Doc/resident several times on other patients. And his accent is freaking horrible. But hes taught me quite a bit.*

Sorry kiwi. That was embarrassing

First, It is obvious to me that you initial intent was to criticize whoever wrote that report although you may have changed your mind later.

Second. Every professional is responsible for writing accurate and correct documentation of patient care and orders. We don't get a pass for being tired. Anyone who has actually had a patient under their care can clearly understand this simple concept.

Third. What goes around comes around. Would you like for the doc to analyze your PCR's and post whatever discrepancy he found on the net? Probably not.

Kiwi, did you quote something RWN later edited out?

Actually, as long as we laugh at some mispronunciations, such as "Peanut Butter Balls" for Phenobarbital, or "Ford Motor Oil" for Formoderol (my Spell-check didn't have a clue, here), no problem.

Yes he did. I had been on running on fumes the entire day and for one unknown reason or another that PCR set me off on a very inappropriate tirade which I later deemed unprofessional and needed to be removed. Im just sick and tired of getting reports that dont tell me squat of why the patient needs an ambulance, whats wrong with him. You know the simple stuff that I need to make sure my run gets thorugh billing without a hitch and I dont get called into the office.

At that point I realized i was becoming a you know what so I decided to excuse myself so I could straighten myself out and get some sleep

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.