So I've been applying everywhere for a job

BillKaneEMT

Hang in there. It sucks. I am hearing what you're saying- there are people who graduated a year ago from the RN program I'm in who still haven't found employment. That's why I'm trying to network like crazy right now and get my foot in the door somewhere in the hospital system as a CNA. I'm also very resigned, and not at all peeved by the fact that I may need to commute or work in long term care until I can break into the hospital systems up here, which are very choosy... it is what it is, and I have no illusions about the job market.

Take part time, per diem positions if you get the chance- you will eventually move to more hours. Get yourself out there. Dress well, practice interviewing with friends if interviewing sucks for you, and don't let the fact that "needs experience" is the buzzword of the day get you down. You'll get there.

Chin up, kemosabe! You'll make it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Just Google "Overseas (fill in the blank with your occupation) Jobs."

That's what I did awhile back when I was looking for a change. Currently, I'm working in Saudi Arabia making pretty good money. There are all kinds of jobs overseas that need to be filled. Some require experience, and others not so much.

Why not give it a shot. I'm glad I did. :)

No tickets, no accidents. Ever. :) Our instructor has taught the class for nearly 30 years now, it's done through the American Red Cross and it's around 240 class hours if I recall correctly. Plus volunteer stuff with ALS units and in the ER of course. What's odd is that people who take the emt classes 20 minutes away in Illinois usually go for around half that. But IL people can't work over here unless they test with us which was semi hilarious. We had 35 students, 13 finished the class, the rest dropped or were booted. On practical night we had 5 people from Illinois doing the stations as well and all 5 of them failed at least 4 stations. No one from our class failed more than one, and they retested that night with no trouble. As far as state written tests go I think the 70% requirement is a joke. I'm still in touch with our class and none of us got below an 85 on it. They ought to bump it up to at least 80% required, particularly since that was the bare minimum to pass our class final.

I was honestly a bit shocked at the IL EMT's who came to test with us. They were nice enough people but all of them failed the KED, a couple of them failed the long board and I believe they all failed the non-visualized airway. Also either trauma or medical generally. Alas, all I got was a plain old EMT-B cert, plus an Illinois one I sent for. IN emt's just need to send a form and a letter of completion from Indiana to get the IL one. Thing is, there are about 9 million Illinois emt's so that's less helpful than it ought to be.

Anyway, I'm certainly not going to give up, and I'm definitely going to do Paramedic school as soon as I can but it costs around 6-7k here and I just can't afford it right now. Oh well, I'll just have to exercise patience. It probably builds character or something.

Just Google "Overseas (fill in the blank with your occupation) Jobs."

That's what I did awhile back when I was looking for a change. Currently, I'm working in Saudi Arabia making pretty good money. There are all kinds of jobs overseas that need to be filled. Some require experience, and others not so much.

Why not give it a shot. I'm glad I did. :)

I've seen several of those lately but I've honestly been worried about applying to them. Most of the ones I see offer great pay but they all say "job is located in Saudi Arabia, requires 1/2/3 year contract" or something along those lines. I was, I admit, somewhat suspicious of the ads. You got one of the jobs, how is it? Did you need to know the language beforehand to be qualified? The ads are somewhat vague, can you describe how it works? Thanks!

i was in the same boat as you were a while ago. I receive my card on Sept of 2011, and I just now got call backs for jobs.... I mean, I wasn't that mad or pissed off cause, I already had a full time job and i was just actually looking for either perdium or part time work. I now have 1 part time job doing inter-facilities transports while driving Mercedes Benz sprinters for ambulances which I have to say it is freaking awesome! And I also have a perdium job on the side another IFT. the pay rate sucks.. 11.25 and 11.00 and hour. But I'm just grateful I finally got my foot in the door. I do too want to get into paramedic school. Hang in there man. It's great your keeping us updated. Something is bound to come a long soon. It sounds like you have a great passion for EMS just like I do, which is awesome.

Good luck bro

Denny

Hang tough. When I got my card February 2011. I originally had a job lined up with a Ground/ Air CCT. I was only able to work 2 shifts before they realized how much it would cost to insure me since I am under 21. And they had to cut me. But luckily I got hired on with another ITFT that because of my co-workers at the other company recommended me. Definitely get on a volunteer squad if needed. Make friends there and work your ass off. EMS is like small town. Everyone knows everyone. You get a respectable EMT or Paramedic on your side it makes life a whole lot easier and the better your chances are on finding a really good job.

If there is any chance to relocate for you try western Canada...Alberta in particular. There are plenty of well paying jobs here, although you may have to work in the oil and gas industry, as an EMT B.

Anyways, check out this site

collegeofparamedics.org

• 2 weeks later...

Had another interview in Lafayette today. Felt like a great interview to me and I got a callback shortly after I got home telling me I had made the cut for round 2 of interviews and to come back in on Friday. Fingers crossed, we'll see how it goes.

Had another interview in Lafayette today. Felt like a great interview to me and I got a callback shortly after I got home telling me I had made the cut for round 2 of interviews and to come back in on Friday. Fingers crossed, we'll see how it goes.

You'll just be picking up my Purdue mates who got way to pissed :D

I told you, get your ass to Indianapolis, you can translate for me (seeing as how you're a native) and whatnot

Medic 100 calls Control, Medics Kiwi and Native available ...