Ambulances that aren't.

I thought this was an interesting photo/thread.

Without trying to take away from the humour and good intentions of the thread/photo in question (thus a new topic entirely), is it wise for EMS as an industry to allow ambulances to be used for something like this? We have an image problem as it is. Do we need to dilute it with fake ambulances used for things like beer advertisements?

The only reason I ask is that you don't often see other vehicles built for a specific purpose tasked for something like this. No converted fire trucks. No converted UPS trucks. No converted police cruisers or mail trucks.

I understand the value that's seen in this as a marketing gimmick. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Thoughts?

A lot of used ambulances end up being sold to the trades. Plumbers, electricians, HVAC, carpenters. etc.

However they need to have all EMS insignia and markings removed. No forward facing red lights or light bars or Caduceus decals. The beer ad in that picture with the lightbar would gather a $1,000.00 fine here, and if the officer was in an ornery mood might end up being hooked to impound.

I should add that I got no context along with this pic. It's possible that either

A: The rig is used as such by medical staff for a large factory(brewery).

B: The company bought the rig and repainted it, leaving it sitting in their lot simply for advertisement.

OR, and this one is by far the unlikeliest;

C: The beer company offered to fully pay for and furnish a new rig for some ambulance service in exchange for painting it as they wished.

As I said, I consider that last to be highly improbable and wouldn't even suggest it if it weren't for the light bar. It's a very odd picture. Looks like a fairly new rig too. *shrug* Honestly, I just thought it was funny. Strange but amusing.

How about the Giants Tail Gate Party Fanbulance? link to http://www.jems.com/video/news/ny-giants-fans-turn-ambulance-fanbulance

I have been at parades where a 1940s Engine company has been reconditioned to have, instead of the Maltese Fire-Cross, The Anheiser-Busch Budweiser emblem. While it has the lights and siren still active, it is obviously NOT a line active pumper. No clue if the machine is still capable to pump water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.