I resigned my job today

Kaisu

Gave them one month's notice because messed up as I am, I still know not to burn my bridges. Supervisor told me that when I was ready to come back, come and see them. He said "good medics are hard to find, and one that's a good person is even harder". It felt really good to hear that, but I am sure not counting on it.

I have been having a very difficult time since my brother died. The joy of the job is gone for me. I hang on by the skin of my teeth, pulling myself together enough to do the job, and grateful for the fact that I run in a system that has a lot of good medics on the scene. I have done a good job through it all, but the cost is mounting.

I am going to Canada for a few months. My mother is very ill and she has no one advocating for her up there. I need to be there for her. I need to be with my daughter for me. Living in the middle of the desert has been great for getting out of the snow and cold - not so great for being away from everyone and everything familiar to me.

I feel burned out. I really hope I am not done with EMS.

If not previously offered, please accept my condolences on the loss of your brother.

It's good to know your soon to be former employer recognized the quality person and medic that we have long known you to be. But as you alluded, that only goes so far.

Please be safe in your travels. Please know that you have many friends here, too, should you need to bend an ear for a bit.

Hang tough. All the best to you, your mom and your daughter.

• Like 1

Crapmagnet, it sounds like you took a very mature look at your life and knew what changes to make. I'd just rather there were more people who could do that. Its kind of the Catch-22 of medicine, the people you want to have working with you are the ones that know when to take a break. Please accept my condolences about your brother, and if down the line you do decide that EMS isn't for you anymore, thank you for your years of service.

I hope life turns sunny for you again soon. I am proud that you saw the signs in yourself and were strong enough to take the steps for helping yourself. Please keep posting as life allows you. If this really is the end of your EMS career I hope you success in your new endeavors. If not I'll look forward to hearing about your new EMS career in the future.

I'm really sorry to hear about your brother and your departure from EMS, but I'm glad that you were able to recognize what's best for you and act on it to get yourself well again. I hope things get better for you and your mother.