First day jitters

CPhT

I got the call on Friday afternoon, and I'm going to my orientation/ training meeting tomorrow. Provided I pass my drug test (those things don't test for caffeine, do they?), I'll officially be a part time basic EMT for Community EMS, based out of Southfield.

That having been said, I've got the jitters. I haven't had a "first day" in a while, and even then, I knew 3/4 of the people I'd be working with.

Wish me luck, and more importantly, wish my coworkers luck.

• Like 1

Dude, It is great that you are starting work! Just relax and it will all come back to you. You are gonna do great!

Yeah, just relax.

First days can be kinda unnerving, but best is just to lay back and face the inexorably.

During training it was pretty annoying - various hospital wards, and every time you got settled in you had to leave again to be the total newbie on another ward, again.

Day one down! I have one more orientation day, followed by 3x nine hour third-rides with FTO and mentor, then 90 hours with FTO or mentor. Then, I get to take a emergency vehicle operations class, and a defensive driving class. Then, provided I pass a peer review, I should be able to start picking up shifts. 89 more days as a probational employee!

The company I work for is Healthlink EMS, based out of Taylor/ Dearborn, MI and is "sponsored" by Oakwood Hospital. They are a partnership company, with 7-8 other companies under the same owner. The company is a not-for-profit, so I'm not sure how that affects how they do business. I'm excited to keep going in the process, as well as to continue my education.

• Like 1

Day one down! I have one more orientation day, followed by 3x nine hour third-rides with FTO and mentor, then 90 hours with FTO or mentor. Then, I get to take a emergency vehicle operations class, and a defensive driving class. Then, provided I pass a peer review, I should be able to start picking up shifts. 89 more days as a probational employee!

The company I work for is Healthlink EMS, based out of Taylor/ Dearborn, MI and is "sponsored" by Oakwood Hospital. They are a partnership company, with 7-8 other companies under the same owner. The company is a not-for-profit, so I'm not sure how that affects how they do business. I'm excited to keep going in the process, as well as to continue my education.

Awesome. New jobs are scary and exciting. Enjoy- now is when all the hard work and studying pays off.

Shoot, you can come and practice in my neighborhood any time man...

The best advice that I can give you? And I swear that I live by this, "When you get nervouse, slow down, when things get chaotic, slow down more, when you see things beginning to go really wrong, slow WAY, WAY down...."

People will try and convince you that speed is what separates the pros from the wankers, but I disagree, it's calmness of thought and action...Though better medics than myself can go fucking kick ass fast and still be calm as a cucumber...me, not so much.

Plus, I've rarely seen speed provide any significant advantage. Even if you can go a hundred miles an hour perfectly calm, those around you can't. The faster you go, the more ramped up they'll get and start dropping things and stepping on people, and you'll actually need them to be productive sometimes.

Good luck man, I look forward to hearing how it goes!

If you want an amazing read from someone that chronicles their noob experiences in EMS. Try,........... Wait! I can't find it now! Fiz, did you delete your blog?

If he didn't maybe he'll be kind enough to post the address...it should be required reading in medic school...

Dwayne