Reading suggestions regarding communal philosophy

DwayneEMTP

Considering that the contemporary female shaving movement was heavily influenced by marketing campaigns such as the promotion of razors, I have to question why we consider this an integral component of a polite, educated society.

I think our goals differ somewhat. My interest is in the continuation and technological advancement of society. Ultimately, we must take to the stars for humanity to survive. This cannot occur unless humanity puts its best foot foreword and embraces creative diversity. If humanity is not able to overcome it's current issues, it will cease to exist. Therefore, my frame of reference is based around human advancement. Self preservation if you will.

As I've stated earlier, there is a significant body of evidence regarding human behaviour and society when you look to the fields of anthropology, sociology and psychology. A key component of studying the human condition is known as cultural relativism. We often tend to think our personal notations of norms and mores are correct, but we can learn much when we take a more relative approach to the human condition. As I've stated, you may want to consider taking some anthropology courses if possible. If anything, they may give you a better idea of what you want to do.

• Like 1

To answer above....

I have no issues with public breast feeding, but commonly accepted standards of polite conduct should be the norm I think. Men and women will shave and maintain an acceptable appearance. No hairy armpits or legs on women, no flip flops/sweat pant/5 day beards on the men.

And in a more progressive community I think that people should all have functions that disallows knitting hats as a full time activity.

To be healthy I believe that you need to produce. I've known no one without responsibilities that are healthy and happy.

Also, to privacy, that's why I think that a hotel would work well. Kiwi can shit and wank as he likes, couples can....couple, as they choose.

Afg and Mongolia, and certainly my childhood time with the Hell's Angels has convince me that we've been brainwashed to believe that 'life' happens in the privacy of our homes. And that's not true I think, or if it is, why do we spend so much time planning, and spending large amounts of money, to leave it?

Lack of life most often happens in the privacy of our homes I think. Where there is TV to suck up our spar

Pretty interesting discussion from my point of view...thanks to you all for taking the time to participate!

Dwayne

Dwayne: I used the above as an example of the crunchy overdose feeling I got when visiting this place. They felt they were doing good by helping poor children by knitting winter hats and had the most sincere reasons for doing so. the group breastfeeding was just one of many feel good things to show that they did truly fit into the mold or pattern of the group.

They just seem to have lost touch with reality of daily life for the "average "person.

The majority are graduates of expensive New England colleges.

They are living in their little piece of nirvana and the majority of them are glad they chose to live in CO-Housing arrangements.

As I stated there was an fairly high 6 figure buy in price so they kept those below their social standing out.

ok, Dwayne I love ya and all that but heres my suggestion

Get about 10000 acres overlooking the rocky mountains. Parcel it off in 100-200 acre plots and keep most for you and Babs.

Have the collective provide for security such as fences and armed security and also have the collective provide the living materials.

The group(communites) can come and go as they please but you can have a requirement of get togethers every week or so to make the collective function smoothly.

I'll buy 500 of the acres or we can go in halvesies on the 10K acres.

That is my dream

What is wrong with women not shaving? Body hair is a natural, biological function. The only issue I can appreciate is one that is imposed due to social dogma with no significant biological basis.

Look I don't like wading through a forest during a monsoon mmmmk?

On the subject of hair...

She ask him why

why i'm a hairy guy

I'm hairy noon and nighty-night night

My hair is a fright

I'm hairy high and low

But don't ask me why

cuz he don't know

It's not for lack of bread

Like the Grateful Dead

Darling

Gimme a head with hair

Long, beautiful hair

Shining, gleaming,

Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair

Shoulder length or longer hair

Here baby, there mama

Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair

Grow it, show it

Long as I can grow it

My hair

I let it fly in the breeze

And get caught in the trees

Give a home for the fleas in my hair

A home for fleas

A hive for the bees

A nest for birds

There ain't no words

For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder

Of my...

Hair, hair, hair, hair,

Grow it, show it

Long as I can grow it

My hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy

Snaggy, shaggy, ratsy, matsy

Oily, greasy, fleecy

Shining, gleaming, streaming

Flaxen, waxen

Knotted, polka-dotted

Twisted, beaded, braided

Powdered, flowered, and confettied

Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!

Oh say can you see

My eyes if you can

Then my hair's too short

Down to here

Down to there

Down to where it stops by itself

(No never have to cut it cos it stops by itself)

Oh give me a head with hair

Long, beautiful hair

Shining, gleaming,

Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Won't you gimme it down to there (hair)

Shoulder length or longer (Hair!)

Here baby, there mama

Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair (hair hair hair)

Grow it

Show it

Long as I can grow it

My hair ( hair hair hair)

Grow it

Show it

Long as I can grow it

My hair( hair hair hair hair hair hair hair hair hair)

(Cowsills version, link @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZBX6bVO3s&feature=related

Or George Carlin on his longer hair...

I'm aware some stare at my hair.

In fact, to be fair,

Some really despair of my hair.

But I don't care,

Cause they're not aware,

Nor are they devonaire.

In fact, they're just square.

They see hair down to there,

Say, "Beware" and go off on a tear!

I say, "No fair!"

A head that's bare is really nowhere.

So be like a bear, be fair with your hair!

Show it you care.

Wear it to there.

Or to there.

Or to there, if you dare!

My wife bought some hair at a fair, to use as a spare.

Did I care?

Au contraire!

Spare hair is fair!

In fact, hair can be rare.

Fred Astair got no hair,

Nor does a chair,

Nor nor a chocolate eclair,

And where is the hair on a pear?

Nowhere, mon frere!

So now that I've shared this affair of the hair,

I'm going to repair to my lair and use Nair, do you care?

Youtube Link @

Cultural relativism. Just because some chicks could be the poster child for sasquatch magazine does not mean all chicks would consider this practice correct, and vice versa.

Dwayne, you have experienced cultural relativism being an American and living in foreign lands. You do not try to make the natives act American, in fact you probably try to emulate their actions on occasion to blend in and show empathy. It does not change you because it is simply a situational adaptation process.

Cultural relativism applies more to our personal bias when we study or appreciate cultural characteristics that are different from our own. Cultural relativism does not really apply to blending in with other cultures while working as a contractor. You could better define that as participant observation. However, that concept also applies to the scientific study of other cultures. What Dwayne did was likely a form of self preservation. "When in Rome" and all that, if his experiences were similar my own.

In all seriousness, I'm am not arguing or telling Dwayne that he needs a certain setup up or should conduct his communal experience in a certain way. I am only attempting to ensure we at least broadly consider the biggest picture possible. Ultimately, Dwayne is legally able to have pretty much any type of situation he chooses, assuming it does not break any laws. It is my hope that I can bring a different and perhaps unique perspective to the picture. However, I also must admit that I have a strongly libertarian social bias. Take that for what you think it's worth.

While this is turning into an interesting discussion of societal rules, the question is does a society have a right to control such things as shaving legs pits faces, or the use of water & soap on a reasonable basis?

Did not Hitler try to create his idea of an ideal community? genetically pure , blond haired, blue eyes, aryan true.

There are many societies in this world that look at what we would consider the norm, as being utterly ridiculous!

Chris: you are correct on adapting to your environment as a form of self preservation. The term "going native " applies in many ways as a means of not sticking out in society.

If Dwayne wants to have sliced white bread suzy Q's with shaved pits and legs then he is free to include that in the criteria for joining "HIS" community.

That's what I observed in the Co Housing group I visited, selected carefully for the exact qualities the Group wanted.