What my "Project" is / general EMT question

Seth,

I don't personally discourage you from taking on the project you have described. Though if you're looking for help when researching this topic, I'd recommend answering the questions (even those that are negative) that are asked. Ignoring them or replying with a purportedly satirical response won't earn you that much respect, which in turn won't earn you much help either.

Think of it this way: how would you feel if I came onto a journalistic forum (if there is such out there--which in making a bold assumption, I'm sure there is) and claimed I wanted to benefit budding journalists get started with their career. Then when asked questions about my project or my own integrity I ignored them or skipped around it using a satirical response. Would you sit back and think, "I respect this person and would like to help them" or would you think, "this person is asking me for help on their own project and doesn't respect my profession enough to warrant me with a legitimate answer"?

That's what I thought about when I saw a few of your recent posts. I can't speak for anyone else.

If you're here to learn (just as I, and a lot of others presumably are) then I support you. If you're here for your own personal gain then I do not support you. I'd be more apt to helping (albeit I can only speak of things in BC, Canada) you with your project as I'm well aware it's difficult to get a grasp of all the information that's available without conversing with others at the very least.

The gist: respect others and get respect in return (maybe some helpful tips along the way, too). I say this from the perspective of someone who respects the other, more intelligent minds here (because my general intelligence, and knowledge of EMS is likely a lot less than a lot of others here).

That's my opinion at least.

• Like 3

Dear Dwane,

Hello again. Your sense of smell seems to be growing by the minute! What astute observational skills you have there Dwane. With such a nose, maybe you should have taken up a career in the police narcotics drug "sniffing" unit. I'm sure they could use a nose like yours out there. I bet we'd get a lot more drugs off of the streets, and back into the hands of the police... so they could plant the drugs back on the streets. It's a never ending cycle, which means you would essentially be employed forever.

To address your "points".. I'm not sure what size shoe you wear, but the men of the Russin Ballet usually take their normal shoe size, and subtract 1/2 an inch off to get the exact size they should buy when purchasing their "points". (Pointed ballet shoes). Now, I'm not sure your shoe size so I am unable to address that issue as you have pointed out, but If you go to your local Men's Warehouse they will measure your shoe size for free! God knows how good "free" sounds like in this economy, right?

I hope this finds you well.

Regards,

Seth

I hate to say, "I told you so" all, but, well, there you have it.

Not only is s/he a child, and not here for the reasons stated, but certainly not a journalist either, based on sentence structure, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

See "Seth" a professional, or someone truly doing what you claimed to be doing would have been mature enough to understand the questions. You didn't even end up in the right ballpark. I lobbed you a pop fly, and instead of snatching it out of the air and making a play, which would have earned you the respect that you needed here to accomplish your bullshit project, you let it hit you right in the forehead.

You and your whacker buddies, vollies without the balls to even go to EMT school I'm guessing, go ahead and work on your site that you'll try to sell to other wackers like yourselves...Perhaps you'll earn enough to move out of mom's house...Though it's unlikely.

Uh Oh!....It turns out that you're not as sneaky as you thought! Who'da Thunk it?

Good day.

Dwayne

Just some points. As a published author, I've written and co-authored several historical related books. I also wrote articles for the local paper for a number of years, and sought education from a state teachers college in the subject. Purely an observation; you have to word your piece for the audience. Above, you're trying to win the upper hand, but a person reads that as arrogance. Unlikely to gain respect or get help, coming off like that.

Perhaps before you advise people on a career in EMS, you should learn it and live it, so you have a better point of view? Just constructive criticism; no more, no less.

Seth, sometimes we get into "flaming" sessions with others on this site, myself included, but not (so far) with you. A point that I try to make with all newbies (new-jacks, n00bs, boot recruits, earthworms and ground grippers), and the established members of both the EMS community, and the EMT City Community, is, try to keep any criticism to a minimum, and if you feel that an answer is incorrect, say so, but followed with a reason why. That reason why, whatever it is, best not be along the lines of "You're wrong because you're some variant of the south end of a northbound horse", better along the lines of "Unless my previous sources were incorrect, you're wrong, due to the following items from that previous source," and list them. No, you don't have to be that formal, either.

Due to my longevity in EMS (from 1973), some feel I practically wrote the book on EMS. Due to constant changes in trainings and protocols, I will tell you flat out that I did not, and can not. When I first took EMT training, it was a 40 hour long course, with 20 hours for refresher, mandatory every 3 years. The last full class I heard about was over 150 hours, and for the mandatory 3 year program, at least 45 hours for the refresher, prior to the startup of a new "5 Year Refresher Pilot" program, consisting of "X" number of hours of Continuing Medical Education, broken down by specific subjects, call reviews, and other topics within the field, per year, during those 5 years. (That reminds me, I'm going to need a separate "Rescuer CPR" class soon)

While the line of "You don't know what you don't know" is quite accurate, I know where there are certain holes in my training, hense, I ask questions here, too. Others ask me, to help them fill their holes. If I don't know, I admit it. EMS training is one field where you cannot always dazzle them with your brilliance, and definately cannot attempt to baffle them with your BS.

Seth, I don't really know you, and many here have a well calibrated "BS Meter", way better than mine. If, and I emphasize IF, you are attempting to BS them, you will be found out, and called on it. My personal opinion is currently, admittedly, "the jury is still out".

To all on this string, let's try to keep it civil.

• Like 2

Seth, sometimes we get into "flaming" sessions with others on this site, myself included, but not (so far) with you. A point that I try to make with all newbies (new-jacks, n00bs, boot recruits, earthworms and ground grippers), and the established members of both the EMS community, and the EMT City Community, is, try to keep any criticism to a minimum, and if you feel that an answer is incorrect, say so, but followed with a reason why. That reason why, whatever it is, best not be along the lines of "You're wrong because you're some variant of the south end of a northbound horse", better along the lines of "Unless my previous sources were incorrect, you're wrong, due to the following items from that previous source," and list them. No, you don't have to be that formal, either.

Due to my longevity in EMS (from 1973), some feel I practically wrote the book on EMS. Due to constant changes in trainings and protocols, I will tell you flat out that I did not, and can not. When I first took EMT training, it was a 40 hour long course, with 20 hours for refresher, mandatory every 3 years. The last full class I heard about was over 150 hours, and for the mandatory 3 year program, at least 45 hours for the refresher, prior to the startup of a new "5 Year Refresher Pilot" program, consisting of "X" number of hours of Continuing Medical Education, broken down by specific subjects, call reviews, and other topics within the field, per year, during those 5 years. (That reminds me, I'm going to need a separate "Rescuer CPR" class soon)

While the line of "You don't know what you don't know" is quite accurate, I know where there are certain holes in my training, hense, I ask questions here, too. Others ask me, to help them fill their holes. If I don't know, I admit it. EMS training is one field where you cannot always dazzle them with your brilliance, and definately cannot attempt to baffle them with your BS.

Seth, I don't really know you, and many here have a well calibrated "BS Meter", way better than mine. If, and I emphasize IF, you are attempting to BS them, you will be found out, and called on it. My personal opinion is currently, admittedly, "the jury is still out".

To all on this string, let's try to keep it civil.

Thank you for this.

Seth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.