Reckless Driving

V8SplashMan

Hello all,

Ill try make it short and to the point. Two years ago I was charged with reckless driving for drinking and driving. I had a tall glass of beer with my dinner and so I was never charged with full D.U.I since the alchol concentration was so low. Any how I've also had a speeding ticket for going 41 in a 35 from a cop in which I had to pay just under 100$ if I remember correctly which was back in 2008.

I told this to a college advisor who said that even though I did all the nursing pre-reqs and more that it was a waste of my time to even do anything in nursing because they won't accept me. I then asked about the EMT and paramedic route and he said it was'nt an option.

This guy has helped me understand alot of the programs and signed me up for all the pre-reqs for nursing which i did and passed with a 4.0.

Now when I think about it, I paid almost 6,000$ for nothing and turned down my promotion into management at Walmart. Walmart of all places was going to pay me a good salary, but silly old me gave that up to try pursue what I wanted to do.

Does anyone know here if I can salvage anything to do with the paramedic field or to just give up and go back to Walmart? If im ruined because of my bad luck ill accept what happend, happend but I was hoping someone maybe here could shed some light on any other options my college advisor did'nt think of. Maybe a loop hole or something for stupid people like me!

Would appreciate any input thank you! On a edited side note, I mentioned paramedic field because they want me to become an EMT first obviously, but I think that's obvious but just being on the safe side.

Edited by V8SplashMan

A little confused about what your asking: Were you convicted of a felony driving charge?

That would be the thing that would impede getting a license in nursing or Paramedicine.

Some companies won't hire folks with bad driving records as it causes a higher insurance rating for them.

What was the advisor telling you? that you were condemned to being a greeter at wally world for the rest of your life???

I'd find a different advisor and go on to nursing school.

• Like 1

Depends on your age. If you did this while young, I think you will find nursing jobs that will write off your transgressions as young and immature. You have no chance in EMS with recent driving violations, especially with alcohol involved. 7 years from now you might have a chance assuming there are no more violations. Go for your nursing, then apply at the "hood" or really rural facilities, they will hire you. If you are 40 and just did this, you do not have a chance at most employers of any kind.

If you're ruined because of your bad luck? Seriously? Did you really type that? Bad luck? How about your bad choices? Luck had absolutely nothing to do with it. The sooner you accept this, own it and make moves to be responsible both for your past choices and your future path the better off you'll be.

Why did the academic advisor say it was a waste? Were you given a reason? Unless this was a felony conviction I'm inclined to believe the advisor was not really interested in helping you.

I'm with IslandEMT. Find a different advisor and pursue nursing school. Of course, do this after you own up for your past choices. Don't lie about it but also don't downplay it or over emphasize it. If you have learned your lesson then state that and move on.

I admit that we would be hesitant, but not automatically a fail.. providing that:

1- It was not a felony

2- It was not an actual DUI

3- You had no other driving issues that would show a "pattern", Depending on the time frame, your other ticket may be a deal breaker...may not.

4- You had no issues with drugs, alcohol, etc

Now, given the above, if...BIG if..you made it to the interview board with outstanding performance...and you clearly showed not only good interview skills AND a level of maturity that made it clear that this was a one time screw up and you had clearly learned from it..and you were accepting full responsibility... You could be hired. I am not convinced by your single post that you are there yet, but then again...that is the limitations of an online forum...no disrespect intended.

Yes, those are a lot of "IFS" but keep in mind that which doesnt kill you ...makes you stronger.

Also keep in mind, by the time you get through nursing school, your looking at another 2-4 years. That in it-self can go a long way to putting this behind you.

I will speak to the specific of my alleged knowledge of the policies of the New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services, that any applicant who has an arrest and conviction, who applies for becoming an EMT-B or EMT-P, or renewing their certification as such, MUST report such conviction. Anyone with such conviction(s) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks all for the information! To clarify somethings, I never did any jail time. I paid a 1000$ fine, did ABC for 16 hours and MADD for 8 hours so im gonna say it was a misdeamenor, it was not a felony I know that for sure. To reply to paramedic mike your right I did make a bad choice, but it does bother me how difficult things have become despite the fact that my friend is working to become an Physcians Assistant, smokes pot 3-4 times a day but some how never fails a drug test? They make a massive scene over anti-drug enforcement yet no one at the school can figure this out, not only that, they give him an award for attendance? The drug addict is being glorified, im sorry but this is just backwards. He said that his get out of jail free card consists of Altoids, Free and Clear eye drops, Axe and a change of cloths. I make the mistake of doing something i should'nt have and im cast into the fire but this guy is doing it intentionally and making a joke of it. His quote to me was "If your not good at being bad your only good for being caught." I mean really???

Anyways im going to go the police station and try see if I can get a Level 1 Clearance card. If I can't get that then i'll know where I stand.

Sorry if I irritated anyone with my posts but thanks again :)

Edited by V8SplashMan

You are not responsible for your friends. You are responsible for you. If you are living your life by comparing yourself to what others appear to get away with then you're not living *your* life and are setting yourself up to get burned. (As an aside, if your friend is really as you describe you may do well to find a new friend.)

Focus on yourself. Focus on your choices. Focus on your actions. Focus on your plan and your education. Because you are correct. You are being judged here on your choices and your actions... not on what your friend does. This is the way it will continue for you as you move through school and into the working world. Employers are not going to care about your friends (for the most part). They are going to care about you.

I'm curious, too, just what a "Level 1 Clearance Card" is. Can you elaborate?

• Like 1

My nursing packet says I need a Level 1 clearance card from the police before applying, I also pulled this information to expand on it. This is in arizona.

Difference between Level I and standard fingerprint clearance card

In 2009, a new law went into effect that created two types of fingerprint clearance cards rather than just one type. Beginning on July 1, 2009, DPS began issuing Level I fingerprint clearance cards, in addition to the standard fingerprint clearance cards. There are more types of criminal charges that can cause a Level I card to be denied or suspended, so the Level I card is more restrictive and harder to get. Standard cards correspond, for the most part, with the fingerprint clearance card that existed prior to the legislative changes.

Level I cards are required for the following professions or activities. (Also listed are the state agencies that regulate that profession or activity.) If your profession or activity is not listed below, then either a Level I card or a standard card will suffice.

• Adoption, Department of Economic Security (DES)
  • Board of Fingerprinting members and employees
  • Child care group home employees, Department of Health Services (DHS)
  • Child care group home licensees, DHS
  • Child care home providers, DES
  • Child care employees, DHS
  • Child care facility licensees, DHS
  • Child Protective Services (CPS) employee, DES
  • Day care home providers, DES
  • DES contractors
  • Developmental-home licensure, DES
  • Division of Developmental Disabilities employees, DES
  • Foster-home licensure, DES
  • DES information-technology employees
  • Non-CPS employees, DES

In certain circumstances, individuals who hold fingerprint clearance cards that were issued prior to July 1, 2009, can use those fingerprint clearance cards in place of a Level I.

Ill see what happens when they open up to the public again...im assuming either they will deny me right off the bat or ill get told after they process it. Either way ill repost my results when I can get it done.

=

=

=

=

=

I think I was reading it as Level 1, when it's actaully Level I as in the letter, maybe someone can clarify it's one or the other.

Edited by V8SplashMan