CPR Evaluation

DFIB

Following is a real life CPR video of a 20 something apneic and pulseless patient on the beach.

As I was watching I can only contribute the success of the CPR to the young man’s metabolic reserve and resiliency as well as early CPR. There are a few observations that jump out at me.

First the rescuers did a good job of getting him onto the dry sand. I don’t mean to bang on anyone but wonder if my observations are correct.

1. They walked past a guy with a surfboard, wouldn’t CPR been more effective if they had put him on the surfboard?

2. The compressions seem to have good depth but the rhythm seems slow to me.

Is there any observations or thoughts that our pannel of experts would like to add?

Edited for spelling

Edited by DFIB

To be fair, the date in the corner was 2006. The new standards hadn't been applied yet. But yeah, the surfboard would have been a good idea before attempting CPR. Anyways, good job on the save. Early CPR, early defib. Who knew?

To be fair, the date in the corner was 2006. The new standards hadn't been applied yet. But yeah, the surfboard would have been a good idea before attempting CPR. Anyways, good job on the save. Early CPR, early defib. Who knew?

I noted that and purposely ommited any comment on ventilating before compressions. I think it is way cool that they saved this guy. Who would be lucky enough to have a team of stud lifeguards just hanging around when you need them?

Edited by DFIB

I noted that and purposely ommited any comment on ventilating before compressions. I think it is way cool that they saved this guy. Who would be lucky enough to have a team of stud lifeguards just hanging around when you need them?

If they were in the Baywatch country they could have the Hoff! and that big boobed blond - forget her name.

Yeah, good job. Compressions did seemed to be a bit slow, but I`m too lazy to count right now.

Surfboard would have been a good idea - but you can always point out things if you haven`t been in the one`s shoes. Would I have realized that there was a dude standing there with a solid surf-board? Propably not. In any case, sand might be easily swapped aside, but it`s a solid enough underground if not moving.

Edit: Was creating my post in between chasing my boy around the house with his toy helicopter, so redundancies are accidental due to others posting at the same time.

1. They walked past a guy with a surfboard, wouldn’t CPR been more effective if they had put him on the surfboard?...

I can't say for sure, but sand packs pretty well under a surface like his back, so my guess would be that though the surfboard would have been really good thinking, it would have made little difference.

...2. The compressions seem to have good depth but the rhythm seems slow to me...

Yeah, slow by today's standards, but I'm not sure when that was shot.

...Is there any observations or thoughts that our pannel of experts would like to add?

First, epic fail of an Asian student going to Australia to learn English. Must have been, like, an indentured servant exchange program or something or surely he would have chosen a country where they talk normally.

Second, though my guess would be that they don't run a lot of arrests, their calm, professional manner would trump many of the codes that I've seen paramedics run. Kudos to them.

Edit: Also, they were constantly thinking and communicating. I noticed that at one point the guy on airway went to check for a carotid pulse and palp'd both sides of the neck at the same time. He was in that position for a moment only before I could see the, "Oh shit, that's not right" movements and one hand was removed. It's so nice to see people doing the right things instead of trying to do things that will look to the crowd like the right things.

Also, there was no unnecessary talk. Everyone was listening, spoke when they felt that they had something to say and then shut up again. Cool, calm, professional, each person doing their job without trying to stand out as a hero for the cameras...Awesome.

Dwayne

• Like 1

Yea the board would have been nice but the sand is touch enough too. The CPR was to slow and I wonder if they were instead doing abdominal thrusts which were still used back in those times. I wonder if he coded later but for a while it looked like he was still breathing. If u look his tongue is moving side to side which is the bodies natural response to trying and clearing an airway which is different than agonal breathing.

- he was so Cyanotic too. Poor dude. Did anyone catch the stacked shocks?? Old school CPR or was I seeing things, but it looked like they

shocked him twice then a pulse check after analyzing.

I tried to count the compressions but the video kept moving.

- how different compared to now where we have litte down time off the chest. Looked like they were waiting forever for the shocks and pulse checks

how different compared to now where we have litte down time off the chest. Looked like they were waiting forever for the shocks and pulse checks

As said above, the vid is a bit older - but there`s not much you can do otherwise with an AED. It advises you not to touch the pat. while it analyses. Dunno if it is different with todays AEDs, but I doubt it.

As said above, the vid is a bit older - but there`s not much you can do otherwise with an AED. It advises you not to touch the pat. while it analyses. Dunno if it is different with todays AEDs, but I doubt it.

Thats what we can do ... we can invent a quicker AED in our spare time. The time I used one it seemed like it took forever!

I never used an AED - had an instruction how to use one during para (RettAss) training though.... pretty useless, since it tells you everything, anyway. ;)

EDIT: As for the inventing part - am not really into IT-electronics and stuff. But I`ll gladly applaud anyone who`ll do it. ;)

Edited by Vorenus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.