Egyptian Elections

Just Plain Ruff

From an email I received from Foreign Policy Magazine daily

Top news: After a day of apparent success and unexpectedly high turnout, voting in Egypt's first post-Mubarak election has entered its second day. There were no reports of attacks on polling places or stolen ballot boxes, following two weeks of anti-government demonstrations that often turned violent. Turnout is reportedly high for the second day of voting as well.

Egypt's military rulers are pointing to the apparent success of the polls as validation for their interim rule, while protesters in Tahrir Square continued to reject the elections as a sham. Two more rounds of elections will follow, ending in January.

So what if the American political system was like the above. 2 days of elections followed by another 2 rounds of voting.

Would we have any better of a political system or not?

What if if the presidential/congressional elections were voted on over 3 distinct voting rounds?

We are already doing more than 3 rounds. Different states have their primaries on differend days, and due to observed lack of support, some candidates drop out before the next group of states has their primaries. Then, we have the main election in November.

I have heard rumblings for many years of holding a different style of November elections. The new style would have all polls across the country open at the same time, say 6 AM Eastern Standard Time, and they'd all remain open until 6 AM Eastern Standard Time the next day, creating a 24 hour voting period. While the nessesary security costs would probably increase somewhat, nobody elegable to vote could claim that, in that 24 hours, they "couldn't get to the polls". In national elections, it would eliminate western states voters deciding to refrain from voting, under presumption that the eastern states had already made their (western states) votes moot.

Momma B and I expound on any and all elegable voters do so in any election. Politicians across the political spectrum follow numbers, and if they see a sizable portion of voters coming out, they know the constituants care about issues and candidates, and they had better not cross them by not at least trying to be doing right by those voters.

I agree with Richard. Our elections go on for over a year. It's funny watching the Repub. coverage right now. Each week someone new is in the lead and the media goes into over-analysis mode as if any of it matters right now. I'd love to see the primaries on the same day and then the real election about a month later. It feels like the 2010 elections just ended and now we get bombarded with 2012 stuff. I'm just glad there is only one party trying to pick a candidate because we are only slammed with half the crap.

I agree with Richard. Our elections go on for over a year. It's funny watching the Repub. coverage right now. Each week someone new is in the lead and the media goes into over-analysis mode as if any of it matters right now. I'd love to see the primaries on the same day and then the real election about a month later. It feels like the 2010 elections just ended and now we get bombarded with 2012 stuff. I'm just glad there is only one party trying to pick a candidate because we are only slammed with half the crap.

Actually that's not completely true Doc. Even though the republicans are pickiing a candidate for president doesn't make the crap 1/2 time. The dems and their supporters are hard at work crafting the next attack ad to go against the republicans.

Let's also not forget the congressional and local elections which are happening in 2012 as well.

I do agree that the media is just nucking futts in it's analysis. Cain is the front runner, no romney is, no now Newt is, no wait, Ruffems is, no wait it's really Bachman. It's all relative to the day and the time.

I have gotten to the point during elections that I don't watch local network television becuase every other commercial is an attack ad.

I spent one night about 10 days before the 2010 elections and watched ABC network television. Of the 100 or so commercials that I watched when I wasn't taking a dump, about 45 or so of them were local politicians, or national political ads. Sometimes one candidates ad followed the opponents ad so I got both views of the same story.

They say that this upcoming election will be the first billion dollar election. A BILLION dollars to elect an idiot or the lesser of two evils which any more is what you have to choose from. Who's going to fuck up this country less than the other.

In the end, your vote really doesn't count in the overall scheme of things other than to tell the winner who doesn't like him and who he/she doesn't have to try to keep happy.

I distrust politicians immensely and consider the entire industry corrupt and think we need a King and Queen instead of a president and congress. Maybe the monarchy's have it right? just waxing philosophically. But remember if you don't vote, you cannot fricking complain about whoever wins.

But remember if you don't vote, you cannot fricking complain about whoever wins.

Yeah

Honestly, i think the integrity of your whole political system is compromised by the american non-voter