Saving One of Your Own

tcripp

I had to run a code on one of our own (EMTs) from the next county over and its not easy. When I heard it was one of our own I said I wasn't going to loo at the face and I never did. I think that is what helped me keep a level head. I treated it as any other ACLS call. We were not able to revive him. I never thought I would have to do this but now that I have (this may sound bad) but I feel better knowing that I can keep a level head. There were other EMTs in the rig that were just yelling and screaming and crying and I made them step away. It was making things worse. Once everything got calmed down it was much better. Its horrible when we are trying to save one of our own (EMS, Fire, police) But if it happens keeping a level head is key.

I forgot to add, that is one thing I never learned in school. I am thankful that I have a good team that I can debrief with and work through bad situations.

We talk a LOT about this in the EMT class that I teach...mainly because it happened to us about 7 years ago. It is important to be able to focus on the job at hand, and provide every bit of assistance you can..but it is also IMPERATIVE to debrief afterwards...even the hard core naysayers of CISD's were appreciative that one was held when it happened to us.

We talk a LOT about this in the EMT class that I teach...mainly because it happened to us about 7 years ago. It is important to be able to focus on the job at hand, and provide every bit of assistance you can..but it is also IMPERATIVE to debrief afterwards...even the hard core naysayers of CISD's were appreciative that one was held when it happened to us.

You "talk" a lot...but do you actually practice getting off the bunker gear in this type of emergency? I would have no clue on how to begin taking off the mask or such. As EMS only (and not part of fire), I pity the FF I am trying to save.

**edited to remove redundancy

Edited by tcripp

A few years ago we returned from a fire call. One of the guys wasn't acting right, a chatty front of the room guy, very quiet, pale. Collapsed in a seizure and then it was all over. It happened so fast, there was immediate CPR, shocks, color improved. He got everyone's best effort. It looked promising, got a pulse back a few times.. But he died, our first line of duty death.. That affected me more than any call I've ever been on.

Bunker gear can be replaced, in fact, most firemen won't be too harsh over getting a new set. But you mess with their lid, that's a death sentence. I remember being in the back, someone trying to ease the stress said; you know what he'd say to us all right now? You dumb shits, you've got three crews, and didn't leave anyone else behind. We did, everyone got on, so there would be fresh, strong hands. The medic truck met us, and obviously some people had to get out and go back. But the last moment we were together as a family per se, the chief said to the patient in a quiet voice, come back to us (name)..and I lost it. I got out and that was that.

Now I'm gonna start crying, in fact I already am.

Edited by 2c4

tcripp..good point..and well taken...we'll be practicing that tomorrow..as I am currently teaching in a Firehouse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.