Job pride vs. Hero complex?

MedicAsh

So I was looking on Facebook and one post from a co-worker caught my eye. It was a post about being an EMT/Medic/Firefighter and how people NEED to thank us for the job we do. While I realize there is some pride in our jobs when does pride turn into the "Hero Complex"?

Let me define my definition, to me the Hero Complex is when pride gets taken too far and you believe that EVERYONE should Thank you for your service and they should bow down to your because you are the "mighty lifesaver". (Hmm Sorta sounds paragod-ish)

Well, maybe I am just naive here or maybe I am just strange, but I don't think anyone owes me anything for being in my profession. This is what I want to do and this is what I love. If I get a Thank You out of something hey thats cool but if I don't thats ok too. As long as I know I did my best for the patient.

So while some may feel this is an overreaction on my part, the person who posted this on Facebook is one that feels they need to be held on higher ground because they "save lives". They believe that once you become an EMT or Medic that you are the hero. It makes me wonder if some people are getting into EMS for the wrong reasons.

So here is my question to you, do you feel that there is a point where job pride becomes a hero complex? Do you think that people NEED to thank you because you save lives? I want true honest opinions here. At what point do we draw the line and say this is a thankless job and we all need to put our big kid undies on and just accept that?

• Like 3

Teachers, cops, firefighters, EMTs, Paramedics, soldiers.... there's a reason these are called THANKLESS jobs.

If someone feels the need to be thanked for their job, perhaps it's time to move on to something else.

• Like 4

I've been doing this for 20 years. I think I had thank you said to me a handful of times. I didn't expect it nor did I look for it. I accepted that this is a thankless job a long time ago. I didn't get into it for the money and I am in no way a hero.

• Like 1

I am thanked all the time by my patients or by the family. It took me along time not to look at the floor and blush. Now I just say your welcome and thats that. Patients are just sometimes just polite and want to say it.

When it becomes expected is the time that person should be out of the profession

• Like 2

Why would someone NEED a thank you for doing their job- regardless of what your profession happens to be? Is it nice- sure. Is it appreciated? Absolutely. Is it necessary? No way.

For me, whether or not I get a "thank you" depends primarily where I work. When I was in the ghetto full time, I would RARELY get a thank you, and when it did happen, it was usually from the elderly folks. Generally we would hear things like "do your m-f'in job", or something else derogatory- as soon as we pull up on the scene. It usually didn't even faze me- it was so common. The running gag is when someone leaves the ghetto and they start dealing with tax payers again, they have no idea how to react when someone says THANK you, instead of F___ You. LOL

The other group who we often would have a problem with- yuppies. They always seem to have this entitlement mentality where they feel everyone else exists to serve and indulge them. It is VERY tough to keep my tongue in check when dealing with that group- for some reason they just get on my last nerve.

Now I deal more with elderly and with middle class tax payers who often express their appreciation to us.

It's funny- my treatment never changes, regardless of what groups we deal with, but their reaction to us is quite different.

Another thing that amuses me is that the folks where you go the extra mile, do all the little things, or work really hard to keep someone alive- they often don't express appreciation. Then you get the little old lady who has a very stable general weakness complaint for weeks- nothing special- and they thank you profusely- as if you walked on water for them. Go figure... LOL

• Like 1

So I was looking on Facebook and one post from a co-worker caught my eye. It was a post about being an EMT/Medic/Firefighter and how people NEED to thank us for the job we do. While I realize there is some pride in our jobs when does pride turn into the "Hero Complex"?

Let me define my definition, to me the Hero Complex is when pride gets taken too far and you believe that EVERYONE should Thank you for your service and they should bow down to your because you are the "mighty lifesaver". (Hmm Sorta sounds paragod-ish)

I am going to have to disagree with you on this topic. In fact I am going to approach it from an entirely different angle.

As a preface a would say that we all are “risk takers” to a degree and have a desire to contribute to our communities in a positive and most importantly proper way.

I am assuming that by “hero complex” you are referring to the whackers that ride around with scanners, equipment ect. The persons that have a constant desire to ride up on the MVC that requires Extraction or the CPR victim so they can “crack some ribs” and tell their buddies about it later.

I would contend this is not pride at all but a delusional projection of an alter ego that is rooted in their low self esteem, past failures and current inadequacies.

This is why we often find them on the fringe of a formal service. They don’t like rules, have training but not always the adequate or proper training and have difficulty relating to professional providers. It is almost like they would like to project a person that they would like to be but are not.

The rest of us are proud. In fact most of us are very proud of our profession and skills. We worked hard to get them and use them for the greater good. We show our pride through professionalism. We perform the right job, through the right means based on the right training. We show our pride by dressing sharp, showing up on time, treating people with courtesy and working within the rules and regulations of our protocols.

I would conclude that for me, pride and the “hero complex” are opposite behaviors with opposite results.

No thank you is required.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 2

So here is my question to you, do you feel that there is a point where job pride becomes a hero complex? Do you think that people NEED to thank you because you save lives?

I'm not sure if hero complex is the right word for it. When I think of hero, I think of Batman/Superman/etc who do what they do without expectation of gratitude. Of course, I can't figure out the right word(s) for it. Egomaniac? Egoistic? Egotistic? I do hear what you are saying. :D

No, I don't think we should expect people to thank us. HOWEVER, it's feels awfully good when they do and reminds me that helping someone is the reason I got in to this business in the first place.

To add to this, when I was a volunteer, it was easy to accept the thanks. After all, I was doing this on my own time and, occasionally and at my own cost. Once I went paid, it was harder to accept the thanks. As Happiness wrote, it took me a long time not to look to the floor and blush.

Teachers, cops, firefighters, EMTs, Paramedics, soldiers.... there's a reason these are called THANKLESS jobs.

If someone feels the need to be thanked for their job, perhaps it's time to move on to something else.

Agree with you 100% - and that's the reason for the + post.

I am thanked all the time by my patients or by the family. It took me along time not to look at the floor and blush. Now I just say your welcome and thats that. Patients are just sometimes just polite and want to say it.

When it becomes expected is the time that person should be out of the profession

Agree with you 100% - and that's the reason for the + post.

• Like 1

Defib

No I am glad you challenged me on this. I can see it from your stand point but I have to agree with the others. If someone expects a thank you I dont think EMS is the place for them. Yes, we do get thanked. I do know there are people out there that appreciate the emergency responders. I guess just knowing this person it made me mad because I know she expects the thanks and when she doesnt get it She takes it as they are ungrateful.

TCRIPP- Maybe hero complex isnt the right word. It was what popped into my head at the time. I just dont think we should have expectations that everyone will say thanks. Its great when they do but if they don't thats ok too. It is a time of emergency for them and depending on whats going on, I dont doubt that they are grateful that someone answered the call. Am I making any sense??

Ash

• Like 1

Defib

No I am glad you challenged me on this. I can see it from your stand point but I have to agree with the others. If someone expects a thank you I dont think EMS is the place for them. Yes, we do get thanked. I do know there are people out there that appreciate the emergency responders. I guess just knowing this person it made me mad because I know she expects the thanks and when she doesnt get it She takes it as they are ungrateful.

Ash

I read your post again and think I was thinking of a different “hero complex” than you. I think you where thinking more on the lines of the narcissistic, egomaniac that thinks their patients should adore them and feel privileged that they had time to step away from their mirror long enough to run a call “hero complex”. Society does not owe us for choosing a profession of public service.

Maybe instead of the patient paying for their transport they could instead give them the The Disney Princess Magic Talking Mirror Set that parrots “you look lovely today” and stuff like that. Or a battery powered box of applause so they can feel special at their leisure.

All joking aside. Some folks just never grasped the concept that you don’t deserve thanks for a job you are being paid to do and the idea “that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

However, when people do say "thank you" it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside for several reasons. First I am human and appreciation is always a bonus. To me a thank you means "you helped me" it means I was able to be cordial and connect with the patient on some level. Thank you, means the level of care met or exceded the patients expectation even when the results are poor. Thank you means the patient perceived my genuine empathy. Thank you means I was able to be professional, thank you, means the patient perceived that I was able to make a difference in their life. Thank you means I made the patient or relatives feel I was willing to go the extra mile. Thank you means i was an patient advocate,Thank you means I did my job.

So yea, I enjoy a thank you as much as the next guy but never expect it.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.