How do you process thing out on the field?

CaliChic

Something to ponder -

I believe that almost anyone can do this job, given the right training, the right mentors, the right coaching and support, and a decent system. I think we are way too quick in this field to tell people that they "don't have the right stuff." I know this is not what Dwayne is doing here -- I'm not suggesting that he is one of these people. I'm talking in generalities, rather than specifics.

A lot of students, at every level, wonder if they have "what it takes". Personally, I believe the majority of them do. There's probably a very small percentage of people out there who have stress disorders or personality types that render them completely unsuitable. But I think most people can. It just comes, like every job / occupation / profession / trade / calling, at something of a cost.

EMS can be incredibly rewarding. It can also be very difficult. I think what students should be asking themselves instead of "do I have what it takes to do EMS?", is "am I willing to live with the consequences of doing EMS?".

A few people have raised the point that you might be incorrect in assuming the patient was at fault in this accident. Regardless, you're going to encounter similar situations again, and in some of them the patient will be the one at fault. You are going to see sick kids. And unfortunately a small percentage of them are going to be sick because of neglect or outright violence perpetrated against them. These are hard things to see. They will affect you for the rest of your life. Part of the challenge of doing this job is sometimes surviving it and not letting those experiences turn you into an angry, bitter person.

• Like 1

Clergy, even if not your religion, can be helpful. I have more Priests than Rabbis as friends, even though I'm Jewish. Ask if your organization has one or more on staff, or if they (your organization) can make a reccomendation. Another way would be to ask for someone in "Pastoral Care" at one of your recieving hospitals. Those clergymen and women have the training, especially with dealing with survivors of those who died in their hospital facility.