Who is your choice for our next President ?

romneyfor2012

Is there an age requirement in the US? How old?

35 years old, natural born US citizen and a permanent US resident for 14 years.

And, not to be a dick, but how do you barely meet a birthplace requirement? Isn't that binary, you're either born in the US or outside of it? Don't you either meet it, or you don't?

Herbie can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he meant Obama barely met the overall requirements (more the age really) than barely meeting the residency requirement.

Isn't this also a bit of a bad deal if you're the child of US parents working / living abroad? How does that work?

Nope. You have to be a natural born US citizen. If your parents are working/living/traveling abroad at the time of your birth, you are still a natural born citizen. John McCain (Obama's republican opponent in 2008) was born in Panama. Interestingly though, there is no presidence and it has not been discussed much at the federal level. Check out this artile from the NY Times (if you're so interested in learning about some US politics and history) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/us/politics/28mccain.html

The rest of the world might want to point out that while the US is a very powerful nation, and the world's dominant economy, most of them probably don't regard the POTUS as the free world's leader. Especially in recent years. This seems to be a very US-centric view.

Take that back or face a preemptive strike as you obviously pose a threat to the homeland.

• Like 1

The rest of the world might want to point out that while the US is a very powerful nation, and the world's dominant economy, most of them probably don't regard the POTUS as the free world's leader. Especially in recent years. This seems to be a very US-centric view.

Now Systemet, don't you know that everything good that ever came about was done by the americans. We are the saviours of all the other peoples of the world. It's our view or nothing.

You can expect a visit from Janet Napolitano very very soon (you should hear the knocking now)

35 years old, natural born US citizen and a permanent US resident for 14 years.

Herbie can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he meant Obama barely met the overall requirements (more the age really) than barely meeting the residency requirement.

Well, in that case, I think I owe Herbie an apology for some of my comments on his post. Sorry!

I didn't realise there was actually an age requirement.

Nope. You have to be a natural born US citizen. If your parents are working/living/traveling abroad at the time of your birth, you are still a natural born citizen. John McCain (Obama's republican opponent in 2008) was born in Panama. Interestingly though, there is no presidence and it has not been discussed much at the federal level. Check out this artile from the NY Times (if you're so interested in learning about some US politics and history) http://www.nytimes.c...s/28mccain.html

Thanks for the link, it was quite informative. My comments about "leader of the free world" aside, I find a lot of aspects of US society and the political process fascinating. What happens in the states does have an enormous influence on the world around it, as we saw during the Bush years.

Take that back or face a preemptive strike as you obviously pose a threat to the homeland.

:)

Well, in that case, I think I owe Herbie an apology for some of my comments on his post. Sorry!

I didn't realise there was actually an age requirement.

Thanks for the link, it was quite informative. My comments about "leader of the free world" aside, I find a lot of aspects of US society and the political process fascinating. What happens in the states does have an enormous influence on the world around it, as we saw during the Bush years.

:)

Just what's all this bush bashing goin on? Them's fightin words.

• 4 weeks later...

The only logical choice is to reelect Obama, republicans will drive us back into that trickle-down economic theory that got us into this mess. It is amazing that so many white people are republicans, when it is the democrats that are for the working man. I understand why rich white people are republicans, but I will never understand why the middle class choose to be republican. I can not wait for my Obama Healthcare Card.

Hang on a minute, if you like Obama that is fine, but let's stick with the facts; Obama had a democratic senate and congress for the first 2 years of his administration, he had the majority to do anything he wanted to do with the economy, but instead of working on jobs, he created policies that killed jobs. He focused on healthcare too much, and not enough on jobs. If you want to blame republicans for what he inherited that is fine, but he had the time and the votes to fix the problem, he now OWNS this economy. And middle class people are republican because we don't like democrats taking money out of our paychecks to redistribute it to the lazy (their voters) in this country.

And can I ask how Obama has helped gay people so far ?

1.  He got rid of that horrible redneck military policy of "Don't ask, Don't tell".  We can now serve in the military with pride.

2.  By passing healthcare for all, he really helped the gay community, as many of us are employed in industries that do not provide health care:  Florist, Designers, Writers, Actors, Musicians, Chefs, etc...........

3.  And he finally stood up to the evil rich and said that you need to pay your fair share of taxes.  In his next term he will be able to balance the haves and have-nots.

Edited by flamingemt2011

Amazing what dreams people have. Hope and change people hope and change, transparancy is the mantra.

I need the medicine, bring the medicine now. Mix it in the Kool-aid..

And now a word from our sponsor www.givetothepoortakefromthebadrichpeople.com