How much time from EMT-B to EMT-P?

student medic

I was thinking more along the lines of things like KEDs, immobilization, OPAs, etc, but anatomy and physiology is a good thought also. HLPP, I like your analogy. Maybe we should move to a system where those that want to be EMTs take an EMT class and those that want to become a paramedic take college level classes to become a paramedic and it would cover all of the basic stuff that you would find in an EMT class.

• Like 1

As someone who never took a paramedic class, let me ask everyone a question. When you took your paramedic class, did they go over the EMT curriculum again, or were you expected to know it before you started?

When I did it, it felt to me like the first year was basically teaching the EMT level how it should be taught. Most of the time was spent on Anatomy & Physiology, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology. We went over basic arrhythmia recognition, learned 12-lead interpretation (which really should be a BLS skill anyway), did our BLTS-Advanced, so we got some very cursory instruction in intubation / surgical airways. Took some of the general supporting courses, e.g. English, Research methodology, communication skills, medical terminology. Went over Obstetrics again, and took NRP.

So really, there was only a handful of ALS "skills" taught. Mostly what we got was the theoretical background to practice that we were never taught well during our (6 month) BLS training.

The second year was 1000 hours of ambulance practicum, 400 hours in the hospital (including a week in the OR, 2 weeks in case room, a couple of weeks in the ICUs and another couple in the ER). Then the merit badge stuff, ACLS, PALS. All the "critical care" stuff (I hate that expression). A little bit of time getting lectures about vents and ABGs, a very quick day learning to suture from an EM doc, learning to do UCs, NGs, etc. .

I think it really depends on the program though. I think my program was OK. But it wasn't until I went to university, got some more physiology and pharmacology, and some cell biology, that I really felt like I got the theoretical background that I needed as a medic. I really think ALS level care should be taught in a university environment at a Bachelor's degree or higher level. I also think it needs to be science-based/focused.

Working as an EMT before starting medic school is definitely a plus, but you should begin medic school once YOU feel ready.

EMT or not, this is probably the best single answer I have ever heard and will begin to use it for my response.

While I was in Paramedic school, I could see how those went straight through the program struggle and my initial thought was, "some field experience is a good thing". Then, somewhere along the lines, I changed my mind because I watched those who had some field experience struggle because, at times, they just couldn't accept the information being presented as it was.

I graduate and get a 911 position with paramedic/emt trucks and I watch those who are getting hands on experience go through a paramedic program who do very well and I go back to my original thought. They seem to have a better grasp because, to some degree, they've already seen "it".

My current stance is...no one can tell you when you will be ready. Only you will know. And, if you aren't ready, you slow down and work at your level.

As someone who never took a paramedic class, let me ask everyone a question. When you took your paramedic class, did they go over the EMT curriculum again, or were you expected to know it before you started?

We were expected to know it when we started.

• 9 months later...

During my time in Paramedic class, we were expected to know how to perform these BLS skills correctly. Since we were now required to look at things in a different light, obviously there were more 'advanced questions' being asked about these skills (for example, when I took my first BLS classes [all them years ago], I was told that when inserting the proper sized OPA, that I had the option of using either a 180º rotation or a 90º rotation). During the Medic class, this turned out to be an 'issue' with my instructor. I still don't know why using 180º rotation is better than only using a 'quarter turn'.....both will displace the tongue and open the airway; which is the ultimate goal of OPA insertion in the first place.