IS A.D.D. a real disease ? Or just a lack of discipline ?

crotchitymedic1986

A.D.D In Children, Real or Fake ?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Attention Deficit Disorder is a Real Disease in Children ?

• Yes, No Doubt
    • I think it is for some, but some may just be poor parenting
    • It is not a disease, but rather an emotional issue
    • It is simply a lack of discipline

...When querried about what 'problem' she was referring to, I was informed that most of my extended family thought I was mentally retarded...

Just for the record... I still think you're mentally retarded....Just sayin'...

But if given the opportunity to medicate you, I wouldn't even consider it. Watching you travel the path from where you were, to where you are? Amazing.

B. F. Skinner once took a beating, (one of hundreds) when a popular study came out that studied the levels of some cerebral chemical or another in those incarcerated for violent crimes. (taken from memory so I don't know the chemical or the level of crime). They 'proved' that an increase in this chemical would cause a person to be more likely to commit these types of crimes.

Skinner posed the challenge, "Show me how you know that the chemical cause the behavior instead of the behavior causing the production of the chemical." (paraphrasing, as explained above.)

I see this the same way. We can medicate these children for behavior that we find unacceptable based on neural chemistry that we believe to be responsible, but did the brain cause the behavior or did the environment cause the creation of the pathology?

I don't know of anyone qualified to answer this question to date. Unfortunately human nature is most motivated to simply choose an answer most likely to support our personal needs/beliefs...so it remains a mystery I believe...

Dwayne

...When querried about what 'problem' she was referring to, I was informed that most of my extended family thought I was mentally retarded...

But if given the opportunity to medicate you, I wouldn't even consider it. Watching you travel the path from where you were, to where you are? Amazing.

B. F. Skinner once took a beating, (one of hundreds) when a popular study came out that studied the levels of some cerebral chemical or another in those incarcerated for violent crimes. (taken from memory so I don't know the chemical or the level of crime). They 'proved' that an increase in this chemical would cause a person to be more likely to commit these types of crimes.

Skinner posed the challenge, "Show me how you know that the chemical cause the behavior instead of the behavior causing the production of the chemical." (paraphrasing, as explained above.)

I see this the same way. We can medicate these children for behavior that we find unacceptable based on neural chemistry that we believe to be responsible, but did the brain cause the behavior or did the environment cause the creation of the pathology?

I don't know of anyone qualified to answer this question to date. Unfortunately human nature is most motivated to simply choose an answer most likely to support our personal needs/beliefs...so it remains a mystery I believe...

Dwayne

Dwayne

Dwayne

Dwayne

Dwayne

Dwayne

However, where do you draw the line? Most everything we know about the physical world is empirically derived. Most of our greatest theories came about as ways of explaining observation. Where do you transition from correlation to causation.

Edit: What's up with the city, it's nearly impossible for me to view, post and edit with a mobile device?

Edited by chbare

However, where do you draw the line? Most everything we know about the physical world is empirically derived. Most of our greatest theories came about as ways of explaining observation. Where do you transition from correlation to causation.

Edit: What's up with the city, it's nearly impossible for me to view, post and edit with a mobile device?

And Tapatalk doesn't work for me anymore.

Dwayne

Holy crap...Sorry all. When I posted I got a blank page with an error. I kept hitting it to see if it would go through, but evidently it went through every time.

Certainly wasn't such a funny/intelligent post that it needed to be posted once, much less a gazillion times...

Sheesh...

Dwayne

Even when you don't hit the 'post' button only once, it happens to repeat the content severa times in one post.

As far as being 'retarded'....I MUSTbe...Who in their right mind wants to get back into a field with low pay, exorbitant levels of stress, irregular hours, coupled with having done time running into burning buildings.... Added together, it doesn't say much in support of 'mental stability' and 'normal psychological growth rates'.....ROFLMAO :bonk::wtf::showoff::pc:

B.F. Skinner would have taken many beatings for how he derrived his results. Not only were they turning the world of psychology on it's colective ear, but at that particular point in time, wasn't bound by all of the rules and laws we have now about ethics and such. In fact, other psychologists like Milgram, Watson, et al were responsible for the enacting of may of the ethical and moral limitations that the medical and psychology fields operate under.

Oh, the trash that gets posted when people realize that their already poor reputation can't go any lower......

*edited to remove multiple instances

Edited by Lone Star

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.