Darwin Award candidate or just plain unlucky?

Just Plain Ruff

One would think that there would be certain requirements that have to be met in order to take part in these types of activities. I realize that certain allowances can be made for certain disabilities, but shouldn't limitations be enacted?

I could understand a paraplegic skydiving, because they at least have use of their arms, and in this case could have manually opened their chute.

Since the Mr. Fogle was in fact a quadriplegic, he couldn't have even checked his own equipment, but rather was forced to rely on someone to 'look out for him', from the moment he was put on that airplane to his unforutnate demise.

This raises another set of questions that must be addressed:

1. Who was his 'jump buddy', and why didnt they ensure that ALL of his equipment was in working order?

2. Since no one apparently checked Mr. Fogle's gear after they put him on the airplane, should murder charges be considered?

Investigators drew their conclusions from video of Fogle and statements by skydiving partners. An examination of Fogle's equipment showed no malfunctions, suggesting the skydiver failed to properly set a device that would have caused his reserve parachute to open on its own.

Really REALLY?

Last time I checked, by definition, a quadriplegic cannot use their arms or legs.

With that in mind, how in the world can Mr. Fogle do anything BUT "fail to properly set a device that would have caused his reserve parachute to open on its own"?

*Edited to correct formatting issues, no changes to content*
Edited by Lone Star

One would think that there would be certain requirements that have to be met in order to take part in these types of activities.

Regulated by whom? And if they should choose to regulate at that level, why shouldn't they be able to dertimine that motorcycles are too risky as well? How much risk is to much risk is, and should be, and individual decision.

...Since the Mr. Fogle was in fact a quadriplegic, he couldn't have even checked his own equipment, but rather was forced to rely on someone to 'look out for him', from the moment he was put on that airplane to his unforutnate demise.

Quadriplegia is paralysis caused by illness or injury to a human that results in the partial or total loss of use of all their limbs and tors.Read more: http://www.disabled-...p#ixzz1UQhHn3j0

As well, I don't see any part of that description that states that being mentally incompetent is part of be a quad.

...Who was his 'jump buddy', and why didnt they ensure that ALL of his equipment was in working order?

Again, he had a life altering injury. He wasn't in some way reverted mentally and physically to a child. HE was responsible for his behavior and choices, not those around him. The article states that he jumped, what, 160 times before or so? There is a reason that these things are considered high risk activities...sometimes folks are going to bite the dust.

...Since no one apparently checked Mr. Fogle's gear after they put him on the airplane, should murder charges be considered?

For what? Negligence secondary to failing to babysit the gimp? Despite his condition, it sounds to me like he was every bit a man...I'm guessing he would kick your ass for suggesting that someone else should go to prison for his decision and lack of prep.

...Last time I checked, by definition, a quadriplegic cannot use their arms or legs.

You need to check again brother..

Dwayne

Lone, I seriously think you need to see the Neuro-Proctologist to remove your head from your ass. :)

You are way out of line on this one and your response seems to be a knee jerk emotional one for some reason. He was an adult, he made adult decisions...sometimes bad things happen.

Hell for all we know, this could have been exactly what he was striving for, leaving the planet doing something he enjoyed. A second jump pass in his pocket is irrelevant to his state of mind...how many people have killed themselves in less ideal ways and had other things scheduled?

If I were a paraplegic, I am not sure I would ever want to remain alive. Unfortunately, my options for removing myself would be extremely limited and dependent on someone else who may not have the courage to do what needs to be done. But just what if..what if there were a way where no one would have full responsibility and I could exit doing an activity I loved.

Really REALLY?

Last time I checked, by definition, a quadriplegic cannot use their arms or legs.

With that in mind, how in the world can Mr. Fogle do anything BUT "fail to properly set a device that would have caused his reserve parachute to open on its own"?

*Edited to correct formatting issues, no changes to content*

You obviously didn't read the link I posted about the quadriplegic Ironman Triathlete in the No Excuses thread. You know, the thread in which you commented pretty extensively about overcoming your own adversity? The thread where you said this:

When I hear people (especially able bodied and not 'intellectually challenged') bemoaning the fact that "they just can't" do something; I simply look at them and point out that it’s not that they “can’t”, they just don't want it enough to push themselves hard enough to accomplish it; and by doing so, are doing nothing more than giving up and cheating themselves in the process.

The bottom line remains: The ONLY person/thing holding you back from accomplishing your goals is YOU!

Seems this guy was not only able bodied enough to have completed upwards of 160 jumps but was capable enough to accomplish his goals.

You know, the same kinda' thing you argued for in the other thread. Without making it about you, of course.

...Unfortunately, my options for removing myself would be extremely limited and dependent on someone else who may not have the courage to do what needs to be done.

Hell, I'll do it today if you want. Isn't that what friends are for?

...But just what if..what if there were a way where no one would have full responsibility and I could exit doing an activity I loved.

Excellent point. Unfortunately choosing to die an a manner that suits you is illegal in our country. But, as above, I'll be more than happy to help assuming I can watch the activity that comes before...as I know that there is really only one that you love 'that' much...

Dwayne

i wonder if there was a sign by the aircraft, you know, shaped like a clown with its hand held out saying something like "you have to be this tall kiddies to ride the rollercoaster"

all he power to the guy, still umping when the odds were stacked againts him. I can see where lone is coming from. Theres so many rules and regs on everything these days, im surprised he was allowed to jump, but all the power to him i say.

• Like 1

You know, its comments like the ones from AK, Paramedicmike (and even in a small way from Dwayne) that make people regret ever posting their personal feelings/views on any topic.

Just because I choose to look at things differently than everybody else, doesn't imply that my thought processes are flawed, or that I've got my 'head up my ass' or even that I'm wrong. It simply means that I've got a different viewpoint and I chose to express it. Before you start running your yap and telling people how wrong they are, maybe you should try to figure out WHY they think like that; it might open your minds to another way of looking at things!

With that being said, it's obvious that there are some who are unable to follow my thought processes, so I'll take them by the hand and lead them through the basics that brought me to my opinion. After that, I'm done with this thread!

First off, Ironman John Carson was already in training for an Ironman competition, when he was injured. Despite the fact that the doctors offered little hope of recovery, he was eventually able to walk again. *SIDE NOTE: Just because I was in a similar situation and commented on it, doesn't mean that I was making it's all about me', it simply pointed out that I've 'been there, done that' and have personal experience and can relate to the hardships and struggles that Mr. Carson went through in order to reach this point in his recovery, and have a deeper appreciation for his accomplishments than people who have never had to go through something of this magnitude.

Even though Mr. Carson was able to walk and still ride his bicycle, he still relied on a wetsuit for buoyancy in order to be able to swim.

The article on Mr. Fogle stated that he was 'hampered by his physical disability from manually activating his primary parachute and was likely counting on his backup chute to deploy. This changes his status in my opinion, from 'active participant' to 'passive participant'. This is why I made the statement that there should be some sort of physical requirements to be able to participate in an activity. I would have said the same thing if Mr. Fogle had chosen to participate in scuba diving. I can understand the concept of being reliant on certain devices to ASSIST you in your quest, but to be completely reliant on a device changes things. Everything we do requires some sort of physical input. If you're hampered or unable to do what is physically necessary (in this case, pulling the 'rip-cord')...maybe reconsidering the activity is a good idea.

Additionally, since Mr. Fogle had completed 125 jumps and WAS experienced; logic would dictate that in view of his physical limitations, he should have been even more vigilant in ensuring that the devices that would keep him from getting injured or killed would work when they were needed to perform their task!

Unlike Mr. Carson's story, there is no evidence to support any claim that Mr. Fogle was even remotely able to do ANYTHING, other than verbalize his wishes to have something done for him.

There is no evidence to support or refute that this was nothing more than a suicide attempt by Mr. Fogle. If it WAS his way of going out 'in a blaze of glory', then shame on him for making a public spectacle out of his death!

*edited to correct grammatical and puncutaion errors. No significant changes to content were made.

Edited by Lone Star