Stretchers

emtbcmvfd

I suggest either Ferno or Stryker.. I would look at the best suited for your situation There is no reason to purchase an expensive one with all the whistles and gizmo's.. these can up to several thousands of dollars. Since you will not transport except to infirmary, keep it simple.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Key Word: Industrial Setting

I'm going to assume that you are buying a plain old stretcher, not something for an ambulance. So, I'll share our supplier w/ you...

http://www.junkinsafety.com/kitsacsy.html

saf666kt.jpg

saf655.jpg

saf501na.jpg

jsa604s.jpg

saf604.jpg

saf603.jpg

saf362a.jpg

Junkin. We've used Junkin stretchers for the funeral home for 50 years, MSA uses it, Junkin came before Ferno. We didn't use stretchers with wheels for years, so our bodies didn't roll away at crash sites. They had fold-down "U" shaped feet. Then we switched to four wheeled stretchers w/ a raising head and a long steel handle on each end. Of course then it was onto Ferno 35A's... But we never raised them, just rolled around w/ it down all the way, and had handles on each end. If you're going to be carrying people up and down narrow steel stairways, and across concrete levels, a conventional gurney is too heavy.

jsa604s.jpg

You should really go w/ something like this... Carry or roll it, doesn't matter, perfect for a first aid team.

I agree. a simple folding stretcher with wheels and an elevating head is more than adequate, and a LOT more reasonably priced than an ambulance cot, which you really probably have no use for. And it will be a LOT easier to get up, down, and around an industrial plant too. Especially since you are probably going to be the only one on scene who knows how to work that stretcher. You wouldn't want bystanders attempting to raise and lower your patient with you.

You could get one of those stretchers, a scoop stretcher, a stair chair, and a tonne of other goodies for your clinic for the same money you'd pay for a Ferno or Stryker ambulance cot.

Remember, in most cases you are going to be carrying somebody simply to the clinic to recover and return to work or go home. I am guessing that you would not be transporting. And those patients who require immobilization and transportation would usually be transported by EMS directly from the scene, not from the clinic, so an elaborate cot just shouldn't be required.

If falls are a problem, then you also need to go with something that is quick and easy when it comes to evacuation. Many times the area they are in is too dangerous for public/private sector EMS to enter. Really, it comes down to how well equipped and skilled your team is. I could go on and on about how to properly equip a first aid team, I did safety equipment inspections for MSA. The mines often had their entire emergency kit in one box, first aid kit, blankets, stretcher, etc.

I would recommend a couple long boards w/ separations between the legs, which are made to #1 immobilize the legs and #2 make it fit in a wire stokes basket.

On that note, you should also have a modern, sturdy Stokes Basket or two w/ your plant safety equipment. You can put anyone in it for evac, and just set it on the roll-away stretcher for simple evac's.

• 1 year later...