New EMT Says Hey!

Amanda Hughes

Hey! I am 19 years old and starting EMT in August with my husband, James (21). Both of us are taking the EMT/Paramedic classes together, and then will part ways with my RN bridging to be a NICU RN and him continuing with Fire Academy and CareFlite classes to become a Firefighter and a CareFlite Paramedic! I am extremely excited about EMT and Paramedic. I used to have a weak stomach, but once I started getting involved with the EMT community and making myself watch autopsies and medical shows, it doesn't bother me so much anymore :) I am hoping to hear others experiences and struggles with EMT and Paramedic classes! Thanks!

post-35104-0-99904200-1310676929_thumb.j

Hey! I am 19 years old and starting EMT in August with my husband, James (21). Both of us are taking the EMT/Paramedic classes together, and then will part ways with my RN bridging to be a NICU RN and him continuing with Fire Academy and CareFlite classes to become a Firefighter and a CareFlite Paramedic! I am extremely excited about EMT and Paramedic. I used to have a weak stomach, but once I started getting involved with the EMT community and making myself watch autopsies and medical shows, it doesn't bother me so much anymore :) I am hoping to hear others experiences and struggles with EMT and Paramedic classes! Thanks!

Hey Amanda, welcome!

If you're goal is to be a nurse, why waste your time becoming a medic first? It will be almost a completely wasted space of time towards your goals. Right?

And trust me...read the threads here and elsewhere before even thinking about a bridge program..for the vast, vast majority it is a horrible choice with very limited employment opportunities to follow.

And where is James? Don't tell me...to be a firefighter he doesn't need all of this silly learnin' and networkin'...?

Good to have you....both?

Dwayne

• 4 weeks later...

First off, welcome aboard to the both of "youze guyz".

Second, don't consider any TV medical (EMS, Law Enforcement Officer, Military) shows as training, they are more for entertainment. Someone on the site has, as their signature, the comment to the Fire Fighters, that Dennis Leary's "Rescue Me" is NOT a training video.

I'll add to that by commenting that last year's "Trauma" TV show had San Francisco Fire Department Paramedics, and their nonexistant HEMS (Helicopter EMS) all seeming to be varients of jerks, idiots, and oversexerd fools, who disobeyed direct orders from their On Line Medical Control, yet somehow still saved a few lives.

On a Third point, as all my "Flight Medic" and "Flight Nurse" associates here on EMT City will back me, becomeing a CareFlite Paramedic (presuming that's a particular company)is not just training, but experience prior to hiring.

Welcome to EMS City.

You will find this forum to be stimulating and informative. I agree with Dwayne that if you want to be an RN there are more direct and better ways to achieve that goal. If you want to do Paramedic with your new hubby that is cool and should be a lot of fun to do together, although I would recommend being realistic about your options and your reasons for training and your expectations as well as his. I am not saying that you are not being realistic but your post raises questions.

As far as watching TV to get a feel for the job ... nothing on TV can prepare you for what you will encounter in real life emergencies. Real life is better and worse all at the same time. Regardless of your choice or your reasons, the medical field is exciting and gratifying. Love your wedding picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.