Er and ems liason

All of the hospitals in this area have an EMS Coordinator that helps arrange followup on critical patients, manage con-ed offerings at the hospital (and at the squads), and look into issues that arise from either end. They tend to be RN+paramedic, with field experience as well as ER experience. They are typically some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure to work with.

'zilla

Man, what a treat that would be. How educational would it be if only you could have an intelligent way to follow up on interesting patients? It sounds as if this is very close to what Celtic is talking about. Man..this would be so good...which means that the fire dept would most likely not let if fly for one reason or another.

Dwayne

What ERDoc is describing sounds exactly like what you are after Celticcare. Things may have changed downunder, but there were never many cross trained nurse/paramedic staff in days gone by. However this would necessarily be a problem, education can occur anyway. I assume you don't work in Auckland?

Hi magic. I live and work in Auckland but at North Shore hospital. DO you know our area? :)

Thank you all again for your posts and all are great for this project. I will follow up any patient fir any EMS crew as it's part of the learning circle :)

Scotty

Hi magic. I live and work in Auckland but at North Shore hospital. DO you know our area? :)

Thank you all again for your posts and all are great for this project. I will follow up any patient fir any EMS crew as it's part of the learning circle :)

Scotty

In that case, I'm sure you could talk to Tony Smith about something like this. I believe he is burning the candle at both ends at the moment with taking on a role at RPA over the ditch, but he is a very approachable guy and very pro ambulance and ambulance education. He may be able to provide some direction or assistance with you quest.

I not only feel that whoever the "Liaison" person is should be "bi-lingual" in "hospitalese" and "Field EMSese", but, indeed, MUST be. However, to question actions in front of the family/friends of a patient, going either from the EMSers to the ER Rn's, or the Rn's to the EMSers, should always be a strict No-No. Even if it turns out to just be the need for an explanation of actions from one to the other, the family/friends might misinterpret it as some kind of major screwup, and physically go after someone they erroneously believe to have hurt their friend/family member (the patient).

• 2 months later...

Not to drag up the past but ....

The 2011 Clinical Procedures should be out very, very shortly; I know Version 4 of the National Diploma which has been rewritten to include the updates will be out in October, the last round of CCE dealt with "new treatment options" which will be in the new Procedures.

Why not have either Tony Smith or Mark Deoki (Northern Clinical Standards Manager) or one of the Clinical Standards Officers come talk to ED?

If you want a PDF of the 2009 Clinical Procedures you know how to get ahold of me, once I get the 2011 ones I'll send you a copy.

Hi all. Have a question for you lovely people out there. I had a situation recently in the er I work in in where a fellow collegue was unsure of certain things the EMS providers here can provide and do such as in field spinal clearance or tourniquet application. So am just curious does your ER have a nurse assigned as an EMS liason to assist with education or staff issues? If so, how does this system work? I would like to create this role within our ER and would love some input including what would you envision the nurse in this role to have and what would you expect them to do for your voice in the ER?

Thanks in advance guys

Scotty

coming in late to this conversation but a large hospital Chain in kansas City just put into effect an ems liaison. If you want to PM me your deet's I'll put you in touch with her. She can maybe help you decide what you want in an EMS liaison.

We have a meeting every 3 months with our colleagues in the ER. It tends to smooth out any wrinkles. As far as scope of practice is concerned, most of the pre-hospital nurses here (we don't have paramedics) have, at one time or another, all worked in the ER themselves. We therefore, mostly, speak the same language.

WM

Hi magic. I live and work in Auckland but at North Shore hospital. DO you know our area? smile.gif

Thank you all again for your posts and all are great for this project. I will follow up any patient fir any EMS crew as it's part of the learning circle smile.gif

Scotty

Scott,

I've heard that NZ is a lovely place. You get funding for the post, and I'll beat you to it! :icecream: :icecream:

Just kiddin'

Carl

(how's life, haven't been around here for a while...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.