Alternate BVM mouthpiece

Hey, has anyone see that mouthpiece for the BVM that looks like the mouthpiece for a snorkel? It fits between the teeth, or gums if there are no teeth, but with a flange that goes up under the lips...A sales rep brought one to where we worked once and I remember thinking, "Holy shit! This is so obvious, so much easier, that it's a no brainer!" But then....nothing.

Anyway, I was sure that it was going to be the new wave in EMS, but haven't heard a peep since. Just wondering...

Dwayne

Sounds interesting, got a name or something? My google-fu is weak with this one.

No man, I tried to Google it too. But it has a tube that goes through the teeth, softish rubber, and a softish kind of bite block on both sides of the tube and then a flat piece of rubber, like on a snorkel mouthpiece that fits over the gums up under the lips. Cool as hell.

It looked a lot like this , only fit for a BVM of course.

He let us play with a bunch of new ones and we tried them on each other. The vast majority of the time you could bag one handed. If the 'pt' resisted vents then a little upward pressure on the jaw would reseal it and when I tried to prevent vents completely they just put their fingers around the tube and pressed down just a little bit on my lips and then it just wouldn't leak, no matter how I tried. In this service there were plenty of times that we had untrained responders and man, so often when you wanted them to bag for you they just couldn't get it done unless you intubated. Huge/fat, toothless, etc. I thought this would be the bomb! But never heard another word about it...

One of our Google ninjas will track it down I'm confident...I think you'll be impressed. So amazingly simple and effective that it makes a normal mask seal seem like a ridiculous idea.

Dwayne

Multiple sizes like the OP's?? Im really quite intrigued!

Only two or three sizes I think...I can't remember for sure though...but I think most of us, from 5'1-100lbs (I think that's like 1000kgs or something) to 6'4 300lbs all used the same size...though again, I can't remember for sure. Not sure what put this in my head this morning...it's been a few years since I saw them...When we find them I'm willing to bet you'll be a fan.

Though I'm not sure if they make them upside down for your side of the world or not? We'll have to check..

Dwayne

Only two or three sizes I think...I can't remember for sure though...but I think most of us, from 5'1-100lbs (I think that's like 1000kgs or something) to 6'4 300lbs all used the same size...though again, I can't remember for sure. Not sure what put this in my head this morning...it's been a few years since I saw them...When we find them I'm willing to bet you'll be a fan.

Though I'm not sure if they make them upside down for your side of the world or not? We'll have to check..

Dwayne

Just cause we are on the bottom, dont mean we ventilate patients through it ;)

My ninja skills are strong :devilish:

EMS One article

type BVM Snorkel Mouthpiece into Google LOL

here is the company's website Numask

Nice find Dwayne, definatly going to look into these.:thumbsup: I like they have CPAP and Nebs also. Even have a pocket version for CPR. Going to order their sample and bring it to the Med Director's attention, who knows might actually get this onboard.

Edited by UGLyEMT

My ninja skills are strong :devilish:

EMS One article

type BVM Snorkel Mouthpiece into Google LOL

here is the company's website Numask

Nice find Dwayne, definatly going to look into these.:thumbsup: I like they have CPAP and Nebs also. Even have a pocket version for CPR. Going to order their sample and bring it to the Med Director's attention, who knows might actually get this onboard.

Pity it didn't have an OPA like strucutre built into it.

Pity it didn't have an OPA like strucutre built into it.

Yeah, I guess you would have to use one or two NPAs... Not really a deal breaker. If they're using them in the ER and Denver health I'm thinking that they can't be all bad!

Dwayne

Doesn't really help maintain the airway your using though.

hell, i want one of these just so i can say ive seen one :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.