Advancing skills as a Medic

I've been a paramedic for about a year now. I work in a system where I get about 15-20 calls in a 48hr. shift. Unfortunately, not all ALS. I'm looking to find ways to become a better paramedic.

I know that the best way to get better is experience, but in my time off I'd like to study, read, practice, etc.

So I guess I'm asking......

What would you recommend to help become a better paramedic?

Read the following

Albert's Molecular Biology of the Cell

Lippincott's Illustrated Biochemistry

Lippincott's Illustrated Microbiology

Porth's Essentials of Pathophysiology

Robbinson's Pathologic Basis of Disease

Pharmacotherapy - A Pathophysiological Approach

What is your educational background?

What areas are you weak in?

My only education is some college and then P-school. I was thinking about taking a college course for A&P, mainly to refresh.

I'm fine with running calls and my skills are good. However, I'd like to get better at the disease processes and knowing why pt.'s present w/ different symptoms for each problem (if that makes sense).

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

My only education is some college and then P-school. I was thinking about taking a college course for A&P, mainly to refresh.

I'm fine with running calls and my skills are good. However, I'd like to get better at the disease processes and knowing why pt.'s present w/ different symptoms for each problem (if that makes sense).

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

Anatomy and physiology would be a fine choice given your goals. Good luck.

Take care,

chbare.

Refresh? LOL! If you've never taken those, you won't be refreshing anything. You'll be pouring a foundation for the house you've already built. Obviously far from an ideal solution, but better late than never.

No, experience is not the best way. Education is. Without a foundation, you have nothing to build upon. Go back to school, starting next semester.

• Like 2

If you've not had the full semester college level courses Bio 201/Bio202 then there is absolutely no question that this is the direction that you should take.

None whatsoever.

You may need some prerequisites before you'll be allowed to take those as well...get them. You are going to see that you are not really doing any true clinical medicine until you taken those....Trust me...you'll see.

Dwayne

• Like 1

Prerequisites to a Healthcare oriented Undergraduate Degree is a direction you can go; if you do not have a BS. In College you can decide which Discipline you want to get involved with. The Associates can be another alternative if money is an issued or the Senior College is quite a travel. There are many Adult centered College Programs you can partake; if you have the ability to study on your own... All of the prior advice given are excellent posts...