Vollie Non Emerg Ambos Vs Paid State Staff

Just wanted to know more about this AREMT. It is, what it is; a chop-shop or a progressing organization. Thanks...

It is a club for wannnabe vollies or industrial first aiders with no credentialling, certification or licensing power that none of the state run ambulance services nor professional paramedic body in australia have anything to do with.

This dreamer would fit in nicely with all the ricky rescue wackers who have medical packs in their car that is brimming with LED lights.

hence the reason hospital staff are needed on transfers etc ...

No necessarily though. There are plenty of para-lead CCT teams in the US doing level 3 transports daily, and SECAmb's CCP course looks to be heading that way (as well as the thoracotomy-in-a-ditch type work).

...you will work as a member of the critical care team' date=' operating in ground ambulance unit undertaking critical care transfers throughout the south east coast area[/quote']

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912662233

No necessarily though. There are plenty of para-lead CCT teams in the US doing level 3 transports daily, and SECAmb's CCP course looks to be heading that way (as well as the thoracotomy-in-a-ditch type work).

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912662233

but that is also a case of do the training = play with the kit it's only like the paeds retrieval services who employ their own clinicians

It seems like it's a growing organization. It has affiliations with 14 Countries including [...] Germany [...]

Just checked: "Germany" here means one single school, offering some special first aid courses but no official german medical profession education. No wonder, because this would be observed by state authorities...but it just takes not very much to be allowed to train "official" first aid courses accepted for getting a driver licence and recognized by work security insurances.

Tricky: they simply made a german, austrian or swiss medic profession (protected titles) mandatory as entry level for the AREMT certificate program. So, the student at least has a state recognization already and just gets an AREMT certificate on top. But an AREMT diploma alone isn't sufficient to staff a medic position here in Germany. Nobody would know about it anyhow.

WOW! I had no idea Australia was lowering its standards this much! I have heard of AREMT but haven’t really taken much notice of it, I’ve been in my little world of nursing for a while and haven’t had much time to partake in the prehospital side of things as much as I would have liked.

I think the introduction of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (for our international friends, this year they nationalised the registration for Nurses, Doctors, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy and all those allied health people out there. AHPRA is our agency who regulates all health professionals, investigates claims of unsafe practise and ‘protects the public’ from the evil perils of unsafe practitioner) is the best thing since sliced bread! It gives you so much more autonomy to travel around and what not. The sooner the state ambulance services have registration the better in my opinion.

I think all Health Care Professionals should be registered and regulated by a professional body that reflects professionalism, accountability, responsibility and comes down on professionals who are unsafe. I’d have no problem in reporting someone who displayed unsafe care, likewise I’d expect someone to report me in the same situation. Does this EMT mob reflect the same values?

I always find the private sector a little on the dark side, it pretty much comes down to you don’t know what your paying for, I mean, anyone could call themselves a paramedic, paint up a van and toddle off to a standby to provide care, who would know! All of you know I’m a volunteer with St John, although I don’t have as much time for it as I used to nowadays. St John is like bread and butter, everyone knows it’s a first aid service and the scope of practise pretty much reflects that, we certainly don’t have people running around waving there 10ml syringe full of morphine around just because they have a Certificate 2 qualification in basic care and are registered to this EMT mob. Anyone who is registered with AHPRA as a Doctor or Nurse can practise to there registered level within St John providing they can provide yearly evidence of registration, likewise with any qualified paramedic who has one year of employment with Ambulance Victoria can practise to there level of training.

We’ve done some co location standbys with private services before, some are great and some are really less than desirable. There’s a particular mob that make me laugh every time, this particular raceway hires this group to cover all there major car and motorbike racing and St John provide cover to the crowd, in previous years we did provide an on track transport vehicle which we no longer do. This mob are very financial because they cover a lot of high profile events with volunteers and charge through the teeth, they only have high performance sedan response cars that have to be trucked in because there not street legal. During the breaks of racing they race there response cars around the track, doing burnouts and carrying on like pork chops really. They carry all the latest and greatest equipment but the motorsports body provide its own medical director on race days so I’m assuming this is how they can legal administer medications. I think the racing people are being ripped off for what they paid. We also worked with a company that had “First Aid – Paramedic” written on there vehicles, I mean, make up your mind!

So what is the summary of all of this? Non-emergency ambulances are being staffed with first aid whackers? Not to turn the subject in a different direction, but the local volunteer fire department just acquired an ambulance (Star-Of-Life, stretcher, lights, kitchen sink, the whole nine yards) for use as a "rescue truck" (as in carrying the Jaws and other tools). But just one of about 20 of the firefighters on the department is an EMT-B; the rest are CPR/AED trained. So why would you need an functioning ambulance to carry a JOL, when you could stash it on one of the pumpers? The department isn't licensed by the state as an ambulance service, so it's a bit strange.

I guess in conclusion the emergency ambulance services in Australia (every state has one service) are very good, they provide well educated paramedics with a pretty good scope of practise. That being said the ‘Private Industry’ in Australia is growing rapidly, that being non emergency transport that the state ambulance services contract out to and private event standby mobs which are not regulated.

We have similar issues in NYC. Private vs Municipal 911 vs Hospital 911 vs Private 911. All this started in 1999/2000; where a Private Ambulance Service was grant permission to run 911 in NYC through Hospitals who at the time did not have EMS Ambulances but these Hospitals had a contractual agreement with this certain Private Ambulance. Plus, the Owner/CEO of this certain Private Ambulance Service was a voting member in NYC REMSCO, the governing body with oversees EMS with the confines of NYC; where the NYS EMS allocated EMS Coordinator is the Chief of FDNY EMS, who is the NYC REMSCO Liaison to NYS EMS. The Private Ambulance CEO was a large campaign contributor to the NYC Mayor, America's Mayor after 9/11, and to many of the NYC Council Members. The CEO was the Member at Large of the American Ambulance Association. This certain Private Ambulance allow provided these Hospitals who did not have EMS; free Ambulances with the Hospital's Logo on the Ambulances, where there was promises of patient steering to their Hospital. Lastly, this certain Private Ambulance had merged with a larger Private Ambulance Service in 2002/2003 which is own by a big Banking Corporation.

So, NYC EMS is technically privatized even though FDNY runs EMS in NYC and NYC REMSCO oversees EMS in NYC; this is all on paper because it must be run by a non for profit organization but who's profiting on this?

Of course this is a paraphrase of the truth. I do have intimate knowledge of all this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.