Uniform Pullovers

fakingpatience

Yeah, I know, I'm just wondering if he's advocating all civil EMS providers wear body armor while on duty.

Well, my union local went to bat for us to have the FDNY give us the "vests", with an "over the uniform 'carrier'" available at our own expense (mine was $90 USD). Those of us who didn't want to be assigned a vest had to sign an official departmental paper, basically absolving them of responsibility if one of us were to be shot while on duty, in a body part normally covered by a vest.

Prior to this, I knew a number of service members who had purchased their own vests. One purchased a second vest for his then fiancee, who was also on the job. The bad joke on this was, and I witnessed this, myself, both vests had a secondary "ballistic plate" covering the mid chest, with notation on the plate saying

This Side Towards Bullet.

FYI, the vests cost NYC and the FDNY roughly $350 per "under the uniform" carrier and kevlar sections.

I guess it's probably different in New York, but do you feel like you needed the extra protection? Have you ever had to put it to the test yet?

I work in Detroit, and no one around here is issued, or wears body armor (that I've seen).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was stationed in Highland Park, had a partner who lived in Mt. Clemens come in wearing body armor. I couldn't ever afford it....

Just because I was bored I like light pullover but not for a work application unless crested up and such.

Body armour is improving (a high school kid designed this one as a science project) I have a buddy selling "Line Of Fire" but its really hot to wear.

He wears it as do others, working on one of the most "violent" reserves near Calgary in fact in conjunction with soft "kevlar" and in the event of a highway crash it would be worth the effort alone.

Richard: These "cop" killer so called teflon rounds are pretty dang rare, most gang bangers just can't afford them, and if someone can afford them ... your a low value target if your not packing a firearm.

Some take the attitude that if you're in a uniform, someone has you in the cross-hairs of a sniper rifle.

Oh, by the way, I was at a Police equipment store today, and was updated that the average cost of most "Threat Level 3" Kevlar vests are now over $500.00, not the $350.00 I previously mentioned.

I guess it's probably different in New York, but do you feel like you needed the extra protection? Have you ever had to put it to the test yet?

I've been wearing body armour in EMS since 1979. It has saved my life twice in serious accidents, as well as numerous prevented rib fractures. Bullets aren't the only thing that can collapse your lungs, you know. In fact, bullets are pretty far down on that list. That's why I call it body armour, not bulletproof. Use your head and look at the hazards around you in the back of the ambulance. It's pretty scary. Ever been hit by the sideview mirror of a car driven by a rubbernecker at your scene? I have, and only the vest kept me out of the hospital.

No, I am not saying that all EMS should. In fact, I'd like to see most people in EMS have to get out, so anything that promotes the Darwinian evolution of the profession is a good thing. Anyone who dies in EMS because they didn't take that reasonable precaution is too stupid to stay in the profession anyhow. They won't be missed in the long run.

But, urban or rural, day or night, I wore armour. And I encouraged my partners to do the same, to the point of even buying a vest for one of them. Good partners are hard to replace.

If you could interview every provider who was injured or killed by chest trauma if he knew thirty seconds earlier that it would happen, one-hundred percent would say 'no.' So only a complete idiot would carry one, but not wear it unless he felt threatened. The real world doesn't work that way.

Speaking of being different in NYC, that brings us back to the 'job shirt' thing. In Texas, California, and Floridia, it's almost impossible to get people to even buy a long sleeve uniform shirt, lol. They just pile on layers. I always hated that look. It's so unprofessional. Especially the dorks who wear a long sleeved shirt under their short sleeve uniform shirt. Ugh. So, when I ran things, I forbid that. Either wear long sleeves, or wear a jacket. And if you're wearing long sleeves, long underwear, and body armour, it's pretty rare to be in the elements to even need a jacket.

But I'm curious if the use of long sleeve uniforms is more common up north. The down side to long sleeves is, if you pick up a stanky patient, the odour sticks to your sleeves the rest of your shift. Even though everyone should have a backup uniform with them, the stanky one is still in the truck and stanking!

Edited by Dustdevil

The down side to long sleeves is, if you pick up a stanky patient, the odour sticks to your sleeves the rest of your shift. Even though everyone should have a backup uniform with them, the stanky one is still in the truck and stanking!

Easy:

"Unit to central, put us out of service, and returning to base for BBP cleanup of vehicle and uniform".

On return to the station, handle the uniform per department protocols, shower if necessary, and change into the fresh spare uniform.

• 4 weeks later...

When you have polos or pullovers as EMS/PHC uniforms; you must wash it inside out, in cold water, & gentle cycle. This will prevent tearing and fading. Do not dry it in the dryer. Hang dry it, this will also prevent fading. As for whether polos or pullovers make a Provider look unprofessional; it is obviously subjective. Neat and clean is foremost.

You need a vest for the same reason you wear a seatbelt and use safety type needles for your IV sticks, it is a safety thing. I doubt there is anyone in this forum that has not found themselves in a violent situation. If you haven't you must be a rookie.

• Like 1