Losing my touch

thrutheashes

Hey all. I'm writing because I feel like I am in a slump. I just returned to work after a 2 and a half month absence, and I in all honesty have been having a hard time getting my head back into things. I have yet to do a run report that I am happy with, am having a hard time getting myself motivated to do our hall duties, and am in generally feeling blah. I don't know if this is depression, a demon I have battled before, or something else. This does have me concerned, because I love my job, and just don't know which way to go, just want to get it rectified before impacts my patient care. Thanks for letting mr rant.

Hey all. I'm writing because I feel like I am in a slump. I just returned to work after a 2 and a half month absence, and I in all honesty have been having a hard time getting my head back into things. I have yet to do a run report that I am happy with, am having a hard time getting myself motivated to do our hall duties, and am in generally feeling blah. I don't know if this is depression, a demon I have battled before, or something else. This does have me concerned, because I love my job, and just don't know which way to go, just want to get it rectified before impacts my patient care. Thanks for letting mr rant.

You do not say why you were absent from work for 2.5 months, but it certainly sounds like a depression type issue. Get some help to find out.

Sounds like its time to sit down with a counselor. Maybe a PTSD thing? If you are feeling off then there is something underlying the issue. Talk it out don't suffer in silence!! Took me a while to figure it out so I am speaking from experience. I am now a happier EMT.

That was an oversight in my post. I was off work due to a fractured bone in my left foot. And since I've been back have been having a hard time getting back into the swing of things, as per my first post.

It's sometimes tough to get back in the groove after being off for awhile. Been though it myself. I couldn't wait to get back to work- I was climbing the walls, but I felt a bit our of synch for a couple weeks after I returned to duty.

You say you still enjoy the job, so it sounds like personal issues you need to address. Don't let it get out of hand- see someone ASAP. Good luck.

You aren't alone my friend, there are friends here who you can PM and even vent at if anything, random words or anything just come to mind. I know about the rutt feeling, that you try to get back into it and feel useless. You can do it mate, just breathe and message if you need to :)

Scotty

You'll get it back. It takes a while to get your chops back when you've had an absence from something. They're still in there, just a little rusty. Give yourself some time- don't expect to be 100% on top of everything when you've been out of the groove for a while. Gotta let your brain re-learn the work patterns.

Are you feeling off about it because you expected to be totally on your game, or are you finding it just hard to find the same joy in what you were doing before? Not a bad question to ponder with a counselor- may be time to find new motivations to love the job you're doing. I used to love my job because I loved some of my coworkers and one of my nurses. They have all since moved on. So now, I take joy in making the mental connections between why certain things are happening with certain residents and their overall plan of care, disease pathophys, etc. In other words, I'm looking at the "nursing picture" that I'm learning in school and applying it at work, even though my job description doesn't require me to do that.

In any case, it's very soon that you're back after a fairly significant absence... just be patient with yourself! Hang in there!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1