BC hiring - station selection

Can919

I have yet to be considered to be interviewed for the 3 positions I have applied for, and they are not the most bid areas btw, apparently "applicants from IN House have priority" well, so I am told from the horses mouth, no matter experience or what or what credentials one may have.

It is pretty normal in every union environment that I have ever worked in that internal candidates are considered first for any position. Failing to find a qualified internal candidate, positions are posted externally. Just the game we all have to play.

It is pretty normal in every union environment that I have ever worked in that internal candidates are considered first for any position. Failing to find a qualified internal candidate, positions are posted externally. Just the game we all have to play.

The agreement on Internal Trade and Mobility of Labour (signed by all the provinces) would disagree with that statement, union membership is NOT legally a requirement to work in BC in any area of government, in fact one could argue in court (and win) that hiring based on union membership is discriminatory.

Education, Experience, Merit with Seniority being the last of "conditions" in any Hiring process.

Unfortunately at the end of the day if BCAS, Justice Institute and CUPE honestly wish to improve services, logically one would want only the best and most qualified of candidates, agreed is it the way of the world that to have protection (official or not) in place. I don't disagree that this occurs but its not best for ANY system. God knows CUPE and BCAS have had some Epic Fails as of late.

CAN919:

You can apply and through BC Licensing and get your card, but realistic access to FT employment from my experience as an ACP is limited by BCAS and moreover CUPE, like climbing a ladder that is sitting in quicksand. I believe a court challenge is needed i.e. the Inter Provincial Labour Mobility Agreement before their is real reciprocity in Canada.

I have yet to be considered to be interviewed for the 3 positions I have applied for, and they are not the most bid areas btw, apparently "applicants from IN House have priority" well, so I am told from the horses mouth, no matter experience or what or what credentials one may have.

Better Question is do you know about the cost of living in the Lower Mainland and Kelowna area (s) ?

PCP ... Ok question: If you were in Gold River (low call volume hence patient contact) how did you maintain "Patient Contact Hours" as working in AB I can not by law (re: Health Care Information Protection) cannot pass fill out the on line reporting ethically .. I believe I will just let my let censure expire then apply again from out of province ... way easier that doing Con Ed reporting in 2 provinces and 3 regulated professions .. maybe time to push the peas off my plate with slim to none chance of working in BC myself. btw sans = without .

Dear Crotch: 2 + 2 = 4 your ethical standards are questionable, the rules of employment in Canada are a bit more stringent, we require Criminal Records checks vulnerable sectors and mandatory yearly reporting in Alberta AND if you are terminated from any position for any reason of competency it is reportable to the regulatory body, to apply for licensure in BC from AB requires full disclosure.

Sorry still don't and can't figure out how to only reply to the certain portion of your post that is direct at me. When I was hired I had just finished my EMR and just started my PCP training. I had not gone to licensing for my EMR, due to thinking I would be completed my PCP course within the nine months. BCAS hired me under the terms I complete my PCP and go and get my EMR license. So I was a driver only for pretty much the entire two years I was in Gold River! I still had patient contacts, as you know as a driver we do lots to help out in the call.

so yes, I did not have to submit patient contacts. Actually this reporting period is the first time I have to submit contacts. I am also working on getting my 25 IV starts so I can submit that to licensing and have that added to my license. It has been a long road due the strike and trying to complete school.

So I was a driver only for pretty much the entire two years I was in Gold River! I still had patient contacts, as you know as a driver we do lots to help out in the call.

I am also working on getting my 25 IV starts so I can submit that to licensing and have that added to my license. It has been a long road due the strike and trying to complete school.

Edited by tniuqs

The agreement on Internal Trade and Mobility of Labour (signed by all the provinces) would disagree with that statement, union membership is NOT legally a requirement to work in BC in any area of government, in fact one could argue in court (and win) that hiring based on union membership is discriminatory.

Education, Experience, Merit with Seniority being the last of "conditions" in any Hiring process.

Unfortunately at the end of the day if BCAS, Justice Institute and CUPE honestly wish to improve services, logically one would want only the best and most qualified of candidates, agreed is it the way of the world that to have protection (official or not) in place. I don't disagree that this occurs but its not best for ANY system. God knows CUPE and BCAS have had some Epic Fails as of late.

The labour mobility agreements are to do with licensing, not employment. The mobility agreements do not change any employment policy of a service or the collective agreements with the union(s). While union membership is not a legal requirement for employment in BCAS, it is mandatory as per the collective agreement. Just like the collective agreement sets out that vanacnies are to be filled from within the ranks before an external candidate (no matter how qualified) is considered.

I am very new to this career and I don't doubt for a second that you could run circles around me with your hands tied behind your back when it comes to knowledge and skills in the back of the car. However, the law the legal system is something I have some real life experience with.

The labour mobility agreements are to do with licensing, not employment. The mobility agreements do not change any employment policy of a service or the collective agreements with the union(s). While union membership is not a legal requirement for employment in BCAS, it is mandatory as per the collective agreement. Just like the collective agreement sets out that vanacnies are to be filled from within the ranks before an external candidate (no matter how qualified) is considered.

I am very new to this career and I don't doubt for a second that you could run circles around me with your hands tied behind your back when it comes to knowledge and skills in the back of the car. However, the law the legal system is something I have some real life experience with.

Edited by tniuqs

• 3 weeks later...

Incorrect on two counts. The intention of the labour mobility agreement was to improve mobility of LABOUR. Licensing mobility was merely a required step in the process. BC has an extreme lack of ALS care available to its citizens whether BCAS is willing to admit it or not.

Also, as per the collective agreement, vacant positions are to be filled as follows:

1) Qualified full-time internal applicants (highest seniority)

2) Qualified part-time internal applicants (highest seniority)

3) Qualified external applicants

4) Funded (for ACP training) internal applicants (Which anyone in BCAS knows has gone the way of the dodo bird)

Therefore, any qualified external applicant should have hiring priority over any non-qualified internal applicant. If this is not taking place any affected external applicants have every right to file a legal challenge based on discriminatory hiring practices.

wow.. thanks everyone for your input... I knew it was hard to get settled out west but Im not gonna lie.. Kinda feel naive right now.. I guess i may have bit off more than I could chew.

I think i just assumed that because the service is provincially run rather than municipally, there would be a bit more opportunity for paramedics to get a bit more recognition. In Toronto especially, the medics are up in arms becuase we are not considered an essential service. City workers (ie. garbage collectors) get more prority than us.

I have to ask though... Is there a reason why full time isnt offered right away? and why part time hours are so little? is it just budget? or is it because there are too many vetrans not leaving

The average age in BCAS is 50+ at this moment, so you do have alot of the old timers in the most wanted positions. Part time stations are on the pager system, there really isnt the call volume to support a full time car. Here last year we had 299 calls in 728, 2 man shifts. Also BCAS has in the past relied on Vollys (when I joined you got pd for 4 hrs WHEN you had a call no pager pay)and now they are finding that they need to restructure so maybe in the next few years they will open up more full time positions.

happy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.