PASSION

PCP

I work for a first aid company at a mine site and have now for four years. We have gone through many first aid attendants with that time good and bad. I am not sure if it is just me and if am anal or what, but it seems that the last 4 or 5 attendants we have had just don't seem to get the job. I am tired of training these new people on what we do on a day to day bases and then have them not do the job or even attempt to do what is asked of them by the owner of the company.

I am tired of listening how tired they are and how boring the job is. IF you don't like it find another job! Don't waste my time or my bosses time and while you are working at least do your job and practice your skills and go through the ambulance and fire truck.

I am tired of being woken after working a night shift, to come back down to the first aid office to deal with your first aid patient cause you are not sure what you should do. I have tried to help you teach you how to take a BP, blood glucose, splint an arm or leg, and help by going through practice scenarios. Sure I get over time when I come down to the office and help and then sit at the office until the on duty attendant transports the patient to town and back, but seriously it should not take almost six hours to treat your patient and take them to town, when town is only an hour away!

It burns me when the new attendants say they know there stuff, but when you ask them questions they can't answer the questions or just guess. If you say you know your shit, then don't ask what OPQRST is used for then and when I try to help you, don't brush it off like I am being a dick and Mr. know it all.

Sure I have only been working as a medic for three year, and a first aid attendant for four years and ya I don't know it all, but I do have some experience and smarts that I am willing to share with anybody who is new and willing to listen.

I just don't get it, when you try to help these people and they say they don't need to practice or they know they shit, but when it comes down to doing a call, even a simple report for a sprianed ankle or sore back, I get a phone call and come down and find the patient still sitting in the treatment chair and no questions have been asked or no patient comfort has been done! That really pisses me off!

Okay I am done and I am sorry for venting, but I have PASSION for my job even if it is just being a first aid attendant, but I care about my job and the people I am responsible for treating when they are injured.

Everybody have a great day and stay safe!

Brian :beer:

Yeah, jobs that allow people to do very little and still get paid soon cause them to believe that they should be able to do nothing and still get paid.

I'm on the Gulf Oil spill an it makes me absolutely batshit crazy nearly every day. The medics spend their time around people that believe that they will get fired if they get hurt or injured, contracted by people that don't want a medic to accidently create recordable incidents, a combination that allows medical personnel to sit and tan all day while getting paid. And then they call their friends and families and tell them what heros they are because they're Remote paramedics now! Wankers...

We had a meeting yesterday where people were told that if they want to see the medic that they should go to their supervisors, and if s/he believes they may need to see the medic that they will take them to the Safety officer, and if both believe that you need to see the medic, they will give you permission to go. Ridiculous...I've dealt with some very personal things since I've been here, as most medics do, including counseling two ladies post sexual assault. I wonder how many of them would tell their stories several times just to be able to ask the advice of an ol' fat medic?

Anyway, the reason for the story is that we're going to go from few patients here, to no patients here and the vast majority will celebrate instead of being disappointed. And that sickens me.

If you're waiting for folks to come in, sit and play video games for hours yet remain ready and willing to treat every patient that comes through the door to the best of their ability...don't hold your breath brother.

I'm not sure if they're just not teaching morals AND ethics any more in school...I just don't know...

Dwayne

Dwayne, I always enjoy reading your posts and what you have to share. I think that is bullshit that a worker needs to see their supervisor before going to seek medical attention. What training does a super. have on first aid scenarios? I hope that the workers think the same way, and decide that if they need to seek medical attention that they do so without their supervisor's permission!

I will always try to teach and help out any new medic we have on site, until I get tired of their bullshit and there lazyness. I feel to be a first aid attendant you need to have the drive and passion for the job and always want to learn and practice your skills, as you never know when you are going to be put to the test! It is true we do tons of sitting around waiting, but there are things to keep us busy.

All I ask is that hopefully my next partner has the same passion for the job as I do, as my cross shift now is leaving in two weeks time after only working at the mine site for 3 weeks.

Well PCP sounds like a situation your in, my advise is unplug your phone. You will just get burnt out and be useless to everyone around you.

I wish I could unplug my phone Happiness, but being the back up attendant this is not allowed. Only one more block of 4 days left and then she is gone and lucky me gets to train another newbie :bonk: