combined events channel

PCP

We are doing a trial run by using a combined events channel with our local fire department. We have selected a certain channel on our portable radio that we are to use when responding to a delta or echo call. We are to let fire know we are responding and say the road name and that is it. Fire is to the same and we are let each other know of our arrival on scene. As well as who ever arrives first is to give an update of the situation.

Do any of you do this within your service or know of any other agency that does this and how it works for them? As mentioned this is something new to us as of April 1, 2011 and so far it has not worked very well, as either fire or the duty crew that is on forgets to turn on the portable radio and alert fire that we are rolling.

I think it can work for giving each other updates on what is going on at the scene before arrival. Either a confirmed arrest or we can let them know if we require an auto extrication to get our patients out.

Anybody have any thoughts on this good or bad :beer:

Brian

We essentially do this on every call. I work for a commercial agency with our own dedicated dispatch channel, we respond with another agency on almost every call we go on, unless it is a scheduled IFT or an emergency call originating from one of our SNF or adult care facility contracts.

We have multiple 911 contracts, some of which are full transporting ALS/BLS contracts, responding with a BLSFR or ALSFR fire department, some of which are intercept ALS contracts with volunteer fire or non-fire based BLS transporting agencies. We typically send a full ALS/BLS ambulance on most of these responses as those agencies fail to "crew up" often enough that we feel the need to already have the transporting vehicle enroute; in addition, it gets us back in service quicker as my partner can drive my ambulance behind the volly rig.

So, after acknowledging the call, we have to change frequencies and say "ALS 22 to the fire [or EMS, or XYZ FD] dispatcher, responding with XYZ FD to the call on Main St, starting from Rt 1 and Rt 2" or something similar. 99 times out of 100, the only transmissions on the county fire or EMS frequencies that we make are "enroute" and "on scene." In nearly 4 years at this agency, over a year of which as a Paramedic, I think I've actually been updated by units on scene about twice. Of course, that's because our response times are typically excellent to the point where we're pulling up within 30 seconds of the FR unit in the more urban areas, and many times BEFORE the BLS truck on the intercept contracts. Since they show up before we're ready to transport, we'll go on their truck anyways.

So, in theory, it's a great idea. In practice... seems like a waste of time, at least where I'm working. The only times I could see it REALLY being useful, in MY RESPONSE AREA, is if a BLS unit on scene is requesting ALS for a call not initially dispatched as an ALS priority, and more importantly, if they're transporting towards you and you're attempting to make an actual on-the-side-of-the-road-somewhere-between-the-scene-and-the-hospital ALS intercept. I think the primary reason we continue with this protocol is so we're actually monitoring the fire/EMS channel instead of our primary dispatch channel, on the off chance that somebody actually lets us know something useful prior to arrival.

I havnt heard anything up here, but our fire is volley so that may be the differnce in our stations. but when we are called out for a MVA or something that may require the FF we ask our dispatch to call them and they will show up. Also if we are both on a call we do have a channel that we can do our updates. We are lucky to have good relationships with the FF and so far what we do has worked well.

I havnt heard anything up here, but our fire is volley so that may be the differnce in our stations. but when we are called out for a MVA or something that may require the FF we ask our dispatch to call them and they will show up. Also if we are both on a call we do have a channel that we can do our updates. We are lucky to have good relationships with the FF and so far what we do has worked well.

Happiness, they are talking about using the combined events channel with our volunteer fire departments that surround Port Alberni, we will see how well that works out. I feel it is nice to have this channel to use with the full time Fire as they do respond to certain calls and I think it will be great to get updates as to the pt condition or if there is a certain way that we have to enter into the house. We have an okay relationship with the full time fire crews. I know I have never had any problems with them, but some crew members do.

We will see how it works I guess. I feel it is alway nice to have extra hands on a call, even if it is only for a lift assisst or to carry our gear back to our car.:beer:

P.S. where did you say you are located again? I think I work with a lady who was at your station for about 10 years. Her name is Sonja. Ring any bells?

Hey PCP. My area does this. We have a second base unit on the rigs and communicate with the fire dept if we are both responding be it a MVA or a fire scene.

Our police force is our first responders and as well we operate on their channel and get patient updates while in route as well. Also ALS operates on a different channel so if we need them we switch to theirs and communicate directly with the chase truck.

It works well as long as the channels are easily defined and everyone is on the same page. We have motorola units so our displays are alph numerica so its quite easy. Ie Dispatch, Fire 1, ALS, Fire 2, JEMS 1, JEMS 2, JEMS 3.

I like the the way it works. Especially during an MVA or fire scene where there will be multiple rigs and units in close proximity. Cheif figures out what apperatus is needed where and it keeps things organized. We are not blocking rescue trucks or fire equipment with the rig and vise versa. I did respond to an area once that did not operate this way and we were blocked in by two fire trucks which was a real PITA when we were ready to transport as they already laid hose.

Hey UGLYEMT, I never thought of when we respond to a fire that it could be helpful as to letting the fire guys know we are coming and to leave room for our car, as well as give us updates as to if there are any patients needing medical aid. I always like to be prepared when I respond to a scene as to what we are possibly dealing with. As lots of times we get dispatched out for one thing and it turns out to be something different. At least this way fire or our us, can give each other updates. We just have to remember to turn on our radios when responding.

I am sure this combined events channel thing will take time getting use to, but for the most part it sounds like a great idea!:thumbsup:

Happiness, they are talking about using the combined events channel with our volunteer fire departments that surround Port Alberni, we will see how well that works out. I feel it is nice to have this channel to use with the full time Fire as they do respond to certain calls and I think it will be great to get updates as to the pt condition or if there is a certain way that we have to enter into the house. We have an okay relationship with the full time fire crews. I know I have never had any problems with them, but some crew members do.

We will see how it works I guess. I feel it is alway nice to have extra hands on a call, even if it is only for a lift assisst or to carry our gear back to our car.:beer:

P.S. where did you say you are located again? I think I work with a lady who was at your station for about 10 years. Her name is Sonja. Ring any bells?

Im on Haida Gwaii but if it is the same Sonja was at the other end of the islands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.