NREMT and EMT Certificate confusion (California)

Hi there,

I'm going to become an EMT certified with my college which is recognized by the state and has been certifying EMT's for over 30 years. I was wondering if after successful completion of this course, if I'd need to take the NREMT. If so, would I be able to work as an EMT before taking the test, or would I have to do it before I even get hired?

I'm a bit nervous about the NREMT..

Oh and just a side note, are EMT B and EMT 1 the same?

Thanks for helping out the noob to the EMT world!

- John

Google it. EMT-B is basic technicians. EMT-I are Intermediate: they can provide some Advance care. Check your EMT book; it'll go over this. Most likely you'll be able to work with a Calif State EMT in Calif. The NREMT is a separate body which certifies you on a National level; it makes reciprocity easier.

Check www.nremt.org

These are questions that should have been answered during class. All the best...

Hi there,

I'm going to become an EMT certified with my college which is recognized by the state and has been certifying EMT's for over 30 years. I was wondering if after successful completion of this course, if I'd need to take the NREMT. If so, would I be able to work as an EMT before taking the test, or would I have to do it before I even get hired?

I'm a bit nervous about the NREMT..

Oh and just a side note, are EMT B and EMT 1 the same?

Thanks for helping out the noob to the EMT world!

- John

It depends on what state you live in. In all states, you will have to pass at least a state test to become certified to be an EMT. Some states accept the NREMT test in place of a state test, some its in addition.

EMT-B and EMT-1 (number 1) are the same I believe. Can't remember which states use EMT-1 EMT-2 and EMT-3 as names for their levels

EMT-B is a lower level then EMT-I (letter).

Google it. EMT-B is basic technicians. EMT-I are Intermediate:

Correct... However, he asked about EMT 1. As in EMT-1, EMT-2. Only Alaska and California use said numbering; Alaska is EMT 1, 2, 3. California has EMT 1, 2. I seem to recall a discussion in the past about these no longer being used (for Cali).

EMT 1 was an EMT Basic, and EMT 2 was an EMT Advanced in Cali. While in Alaska, an EMT 1 is a Basic, 2 is an Intermediate and 3 adds Cardiac Care and more medications.

Edited by 2c4

Here in California EMT-B and EMT-1 (number 1) are the same things...some schools haven't gotten away from listing their programs as emt-b or emt-1. After you complete your course, you will have to take the NREMT. Then you will need to apply for your California state card...after you are nationally registered, it is your option to keep that current. I would highly recommend keeping you national registry up though. Many places that I have looked at only ask for national registry and one actually told me that they didn't care if I had a state card...weird. But hey, that's what I get for working at a theme park. But anyways, yes, you will need to initally take the NREMT. California won't let you apply for a state card without it. Hope that helps. Good luck.

btw...where in Cali are you?

The last poster has the best answer. You will have to obtain State Licensure/Certification, and the way to do that is by taking the NREMT Exam. It's healthy to have a little nervousness about taking that exam (or any exam for that matter), but you should be able to do well if your program used the National Standards.

Just my .02

AC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.