How would you deal with this crew member

emtgrimreaper

The unfortunate 'side effect' of this behavior (revenge tactics) is that they can range from simple criminal mischief to outright assault. It's bad enough that the supervisor had to be callled into this petty childish squabble, but do we REALLY need to pursue a course of action that could potentially involve law enforcement?

That's why I said "I might be tempted...". What's the saying? Don't lower yourself to their level because they'll beat you with their extensive experience. Or something like that.

Close enough for governtment work? LOL

This is going to sound downright Machiavellian, but how large is your department? How close knit is it? How new is she versus you? Have you considered the simple ostracization that can come from the group dynamic? If she's the new unknown and you're the older trusted colleague then you simply sharing your disgust with the rest of the crews could easily have her noticing the cold shoulder; and hopefully get the quiet message to shape up and know her place. Heck if you get really lucky, you could make her work life so socially void that she'll find other employment.

OR...

My approach is to let it go. Once. Let it roll down my back, assume that I've caught someone on their worst day and make sure that the way I act doesn't escalate anything. But as soon as it becomes a pattern, I call them on it and we discuss my and their expectations and problems. I had that happen with a semi-regular partner awhile back and while I wouldn't call us friends, we can at least work together now.

Sometimes new people have no concept of the unwritten social rules of a station or service that we all hold so dear. Some people get the gentle correction ("Oh hey, the guy you're covering for tonight usually sleeps on that couch.") and some people don't and may need it explained. ("Hey, you're new here. Here's a few pointers that saved me a tonne of hassle when I started.")

All of this though strikes me as issues that should be dealt with individually and don't warrant the involvement of a Supervisor until it affects service delivery. If you two can't get along a simple request (filed jointly even) not to be scheduled together may solve the whole thing without too much fuss.

• Like 1

KY on the pillow, hurricane spray on the toothbrush, man I could sit here all day and list the things I have seen people do to each other in the name of harrassment.

Unless allergic to lidocaine.