First Ride -a-long was a total bust.

MetalMedic

If one is in a busy high call volume system, one learns to appreciate those "no hitter" tours, but I admit, for students, and adrenaline junkies, it sucks. Also, as payback is a beyotch, I note that the next tour after a no hitter I pulled, was wall to wall calls, running from minor cuts to 5 patients in a 2 car accident that all, due to MOI, need the Trauma Center.

If one is in a busy high call volume system, one learns to appreciate those "no hitter" tours, but I admit, for students, and adrenaline junkies, it sucks. Also, as payback is a beyotch, I note that the next tour after a no hitter I pulled, was wall to wall calls, running from minor cuts to 5 patients in a 2 car accident that all, due to MOI, need the Trauma Center.

I hear ya, Richard.

In nearly 30 years on the streets, I have NEVER had a no hitter- even on the slowest rig in the city. Came close a couple times, but never a complete shut out. Honestly, even after all this time, I would prefer to run a few calls just to make the day go by. Of course I would want those calls to not be after midnight, not during a meal, and not when I am on the throne.

Am I asking too much??

LOL

I would prefer to run a few calls just to make the day go by. Of course I would want those calls to not be after midnight, not during a meal, and not when I am on the throne.

Am I asking too much??

Yes.

...I wouldn't say they were horrible, but they weren't that amazing either, but it was my first time and don't really have something to compare them with.

It's awesome that you are able to see that your perspective has so much to do with your view of things. In this case, I'll loan you my perspective...they sucked. And whoever chose to put you with untrained preceptors sucks too. It was their job, for those few hours, to make you welcome, get you dirty if possible, but above all set an example of professional EMS and make your time productive. They failed in every category.

...The silver lining in all this is that I know if there is a slow night at work I can deal with it. :) And even though it was slow, seeing the respect we get from the public is pretty cool.

And I have to admit, I did feel like a rockstar jumping out of the back of the cab with the purple gloves sticking out of my back pocket... even if it was just to stretch. :showoff:

-MetalMedic

You know what man? As much as I hate to admit it...sometimes I still feel like that too..

I'll tell you what. You have a lot to learn, but you seem to have a really great ability to judge yourself and those around you from a position of honesty. That is a rare thing...It reminds me of fiznat to tell the truth. The very, very best quality for a provider to have in my opinion. (Speaking of which...Fiz, any chance there is news on your continuing education situation??)

I am really, really excited for your future and the things you may bring to the City.

Dwayne

Edited to change the way I displayed my link only.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone.

I did pull my instructor aside and talked to him one on one before I filled out my review. I gave them 10's on the medical portions because from what I saw from the couple of calls we did, they were awesome.

For the teaching portion I gave them a 4-5 and explained to my instructor WHY I gave them that. I made it clear it wasn't based on the fact we were slow, but when I asked questions it was pulling teeth, yada yada yada.

The Medic who was his close friend was more friendly than the EMT and I told him that as well.

I still feel like a jerk for ratting them out as I may have to work with them in the future when I get a job as an EMT.

But new ride-a-long set for 2 weeks from now and with a different location/ company.

-MetalMedic

I still feel like a jerk for ratting them out as I may have to work with them in the future when I get a job as an EMT.

-MetalMedic

Don't. It is your education. If you feel you aren't getting what you signed up for, then you have a reason to express your displeasure. If your instruction mans-up and tells these two about your review, it may even make them better preceptors.

Not everybody is preceptor material. It has been my experience that when a student is "dropped" (for lack of a better term) on the crew, they resent it. Precepting is a acquired skill. We have to take a class here of 48hrs in length just to have the privilege of precepting. Plus you must have 2 years experience w/o any QA issues.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Chalk it up to experience and start preparing questions for your next ride-along and hopefully an enjoyable tour!

• Like 1

I am sorry that your first experience on car was not very good at all. Hopefully next time you have a better expereince and more calls! :beer: