Thoughs about AMR?

Remember Mike: A pulse & a patch are the requirements. :-}

Yeah, this is the first time that I'm going to call bullshit on Island. You can smell the resentment, right? So the opinion is obviously tainted after 'the lovely mom and pop shop' sold out.

All AMR ambulance companies are locally managed, which means that they can be radically different. When I did my clinicals with AMR I rode in Pueblo CO and saw what was easily the most screwed up EMS system I've ever been exposed to, and also Colorado Springs where I was inspired and believed then, as now, that I saw exactly how EMS should be run. In fact they have a new hire accademy that is way hardcore. I've not taken it but have talked with many strong medics that have, and they claim that it's really challenging. Unless things have changed radically there, there is not 'meat in the seat' there.

The liberals would have you believe that anything big business must be evil. And that can be true, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

When I applied to them we took a written test that I found pretty challenging, this was as a basic. And then ran skill stations, just like you did for NR. It was a little bit stressful, took several hours, and there were maybe, 75 other basics there too. But that has been a while back....

Also, spelling is important. You didn't not get responses because of a simple spelling error, but I'm willing to bet that you missed many by throwing a tantrum before 24hrs had even passed on your post. This is a forum..we respond when we can, and don't when we can't. But to pout in front of those that you're asking help from...well, that's pretty bad form.

The good news? I've stepped on my dick in so many ways here that it's ridiculous, and it's not terminal. Move on, be brave, participate and you'll find that it's very worthwhile.

I'd be interested to know how your interview went, and what you thought of the process, and perhaps you can update this thread with current information for those that come after you?

Have a great day!

Dwayne

• Like 1

There is a lot of negativity on this forum towards AMR, and usually most of it comes from people who have never worked for the company. I've worked for AMR for six years, and I'll give you my honest opinion.

First, you need to know that the working experience at AMR is going to vary widely depending on where in the country you work. AMR is a large corporation that sets up divisions all over the country, and those divisions are largely locally managed. In some areas of the country, AMR does mostly transfer work, in other areas they hold the PSA for primary 911 response. In some areas it is a really terrible and negative place to work, and in others it is the best service in the region. It really depends where you are.

There are some negatives to working for a large company like AMR. The company is by it's private nature profit-driven. That means that there will always be some tension between the employees and management over pay and benefits, and there will always be a little bit of a conflict of interest when balancing emergency work and interfacility transports. My experience is also that the equipment isn't always as top-of-the-line as it is at some volunteer or municipal services.

That said, working for a large company has it's benefits. FEMA has contracted with AMR to provide EMS services in the event of national disasters, and as a regular road medic I have had the opportunity to fly all over the country to work. I went to hurricane Katrina and Dean, and I'll be ready to go again if something happens again. That is an exciting opportunity you don't get everywhere. On a more local level, AMR has contracted with large local concert venues and sports facilities, which means I get to do EMS coverage at events like Ozzfest, Warped Tour, professional sports events and shows. I've been backstage at at more major events than I can count, and it was AMR that has given me that opportunity. AMR contracts with local towns around the city, and offers it's employees a really diverse choice of working experiences. I can work as a fly-car medic with volunteers if I like, on an ambulance in the city, or as an intercept medic in a fire-based system. A smaller company would not be able to offer me all of that choice. Even with those opportunities, AMR paramedics and EMTs enjoy some of the highest wages in the state.

As far as the day to day management, I will admit that it sometimes sucks. AMR seems to like hiring middle managers that take the job for the wrong reasons, or are otherwise under qualified. There is often a lot of frustration here about day to day things like scheduling, dispatch, and paperwork. Recently my division has been cutting the number of ambulances on the road, which has caused a lot of frustration and anger. That said, this company for the most part allows us to get in our trucks and go out for the day to work EMS on our own terms. Despite the frustrations that do exist, I really feel like I am in charge of how my day goes, and I am allowed to make individual decisions regarding my scenes and my patient care.

If you are interested in working at AMR, my advice to you would be to seek advice locally. The experience will vary widely depending on where you are, and only people in the system will be able to tell you how things really are. Don't give up on the company though just because it is large and private. I am very happy that I chose to work for AMR, and it is possible that you could be also.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to comment about the hiring process. Again your experience may vary, but around here the potential new-hires get two exams: a written that is just like the state EMT-B written (probably just like NR), and a practical that involves a few NR-esque stations. As I remember there was a trauma assessment, and an airway management station when I was hired 6 years ago. It wasn't crazy, but it is more than you see at a lot of other places.

Edited by fiznat
  • Like 3

You didn't not get

Yes, spelling is important, and grammar.... whistle.gif (double negative)

And immediate responses are tough because EMS tends to be populated by individuals who work lots of hours.

I worked for Rural/Metro in Lexington,KY. Our biggest competitor (for transfers and such) was AMR. They had nicer equipment, better uniforms and more vehicles. One thing I always noticed was that the nurses were always telling us that they liked Rural/Metro more. Just because we were nicer to them and to our patients. All private services tend to be focused on $$$ but remember, that does not stop YOU from providing quality compassionate care to your patients. If they try to push you to do otherwise... attempt reform from within. When it comes to patient care, the correct action is pretty clear. Treat them with respect, follow your protocols, and document thoroughly. These are things you should be doing regardless of working 911 or private. YOU are the face of the company to the patient. smile.gif

Good luck in whatever you choose.

• Like 2

Yes, spelling is important, and grammar.... whistle.gif (double negative)

Heh...yeah, thanks for the correction..

...And immediate responses are tough because EMS tends to be populated by individuals who work lots of hours.

I worked for Rural/Metro in Lexington,KY. Our biggest competitor (for transfers and such) was AMR. They had nicer equipment, better uniforms and more vehicles. One thing I always noticed was that the nurses were always telling us that they liked Rural/Metro more. Just because we were nicer to them and to our patients. All private services tend to be focused on $$ but remember, that does not stop YOU from providing quality compassionate care to your patients. If they try to push you to do otherwise... attempt reform from within. When it comes to patient care, the correct action is pretty clear. Treat them with respect, follow your protocols, and document thoroughly. These are things you should be doing regardless of working 911 or private. YOU are the face of the company to the patient. smile.gif

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Awesome message, awesome attitude, grammar correction! I wish I could give it more than one point! :thumbsup:

Dwayne

There is a lot of negativity on this forum towards AMR, and usually most of it comes from people who have never worked for the company. I've worked for AMR for six years, and I'll give you my honest opinion.

First, you need to know that the working experience at AMR is going to vary widely depending on where in the ....

I agree with your post 100%

I am a happy employee of AMR for the past 3 years and will continue to be.

Sure not everything is perfect but over all I consider my work a great experience.

I think that the original question has been answered and really have nothing to add.

Good Luck!

Yeah, this is the first time that I'm going to call bullshit on Island. You can smell the resentment, right? So the opinion is obviously tainted after 'the lovely mom and pop shop' sold out.

All AMR ambulance companies are locally managed, which means that they can be radically different. When I did my clinicals with AMR I rode in Pueblo CO and saw what was easily the most screwed up EMS system I've ever been exposed to, and also Colorado Springs where I was inspired and believed then, as now, that I saw exactly how EMS should be run. In fact they have a new hire accademy that is way hardcore. I've not taken it but have talked with many strong medics that have, and they claim that it's really challenging. Unless things have changed radically there, there is not 'meat in the seat' there.

The liberals would have you believe that anything big business must be evil. And that can be true, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

When I applied to them we took a written test that I found pretty challenging, this was as a basic. And then ran skill stations, just like you did for NR. It was a little bit stressful, took several hours, and there were maybe, 75 other basics there too. But that has been a while back....

Also, spelling is important. You didn't not get responses because of a simple spelling error, but I'm willing to bet that you missed many by throwing a tantrum before 24hrs had even passed on your post. This is a forum..we respond when we can, and don't when we can't. But to pout in front of those that you're asking help from...well, that's pretty bad form.

The good news? I've stepped on my dick in so many ways here that it's ridiculous, and it's not terminal. Move on, be brave, participate and you'll find that it's very worthwhile.

I'd be interested to know how your interview went, and what you thought of the process, and perhaps you can update this thread with current information for those that come after you?

Have a great day!

Dwayne

Hey brother: while I respect your thought process in waving the flag, I will stand by the statement, A pulse & a Patch. As long as I've been in the business and worked in several different states , the perception of the Empire is pretty much universal.. I know that many of the employees of the company are good providers and try to do there very best as an advocate for their customers.

It's just the problem of corporate management mentality that revolves around turning a profit for the shareholders.

Some regional managers actually are medics from the street that took collage course to learn management skills.

However many times the local supervisors have zip street experience and wave the beancounter spreadsheet when telling the crewdogs what they need to do to cut costs.

The company invented the idea of parking ambulances in convenience store or gas station parking lots [sSM] because a numbers cruncher figured out that they could staff fewer trucks by keeping the crews hopping from one place to the next based on analysis of where a call might occur next.

They think nothing of using a SSM truck to do a nursing home transfer while moving a truck from the other side of the city/ county to cover a 911 contract. even though it means a delay in response time.

They prefer to keep the trucks in constant motion whether loaded or empty. Besides it cuts down of basing facilities and places where the crew could actually sit and take a dump thats not in a convenience store or restaurant bathroom.

As was pointed out above by Lone star they come into an area take over on a lowball price and then raise the costs to make more money. If they don't make a profit they will close up the doors and move onto the next unsuspecting town/ county.

They will succeed or leave and the employees are expendable.

There are places where the company does a good job and treats the staff responsibly,but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Fiz: I'm glad you like the Empire. you seem to have lucked out in your management staff.

I do know personally many employees of the Empire , including management staff in several business profit centers. Some are very good , some not what would be called cream of the crop. this really isn't about them it's the corporate mentality that has been passed along through the last 5 changes in ownership of the corporation. All have one thing in mind : make the most profit with the least amount of expenditures. Running trucks until well over 300,000 miles because they can even though the doors need a pry bar to close properly as the hinges and mounts are worn out is not a safe practice.

I find the comments interesting...

Island worked for them for what, a week or less and is an expert. Lone, how long did you work for them? Not being sarcastic, truly curious. And you statement that 'they move into an area, take over and soon get their privileges revokes.." Rubbish. There is not a single company in the world that can stay in business if that is your 'habit.' I always find it interesting that those that have never owned a business are always experts on how a business is run.

Despite how it may sound, I'm not defending AMR. I too know many that work, and have worked for them and the vast majority report being happy with them. Personally by far the worst, and my far the best paramedic experiences that I have had have come from AMR.

I'm not defending them, but I am really hating all of the "This is what they do!" as, with any other fact you should make some attempt to back up such statements. I can claim all kinds of shit, but if I'm going to do so then perhaps I should feel obligated to provide a source.

Dwayne

I liked the concept of AMR, because when they came along, most ambulance services were mom's &pop's that lasted about 5-7 years. Most medics did not enjoy good benefits or a decent retirement. So the concept of a strong national provider seemed good for EMS. I worked for them for a short amount of time (my company was bought out), I did not think they were evil, but I do not agree with their cookie-cutter approach to ambulance service. To those who hate the "evil profit motives", I would suggest that you get used to it; most municipality based agencies are just starting to feel the pinch of this economy which means their recovery will be about 24 months after the private sector. There is a good chance that you will be working for AMR or RM in the immediate future.

Here is a good test for you government guys: Take your total budget (EMS or Fire/EMS) and then divide it by the population you cover. If the figure you came up with is anything more than $15/head, you will probably have an AMR or RM uniform in your future. Why, because they can do it for less than $10.00/head; we can argue about the quality of that service all day, but right now $$$ is all that matters to most politicians.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.