Texas Legislature and minors

My sister and I were sitting around the house a week ago and a interesting question came up which I didnt know the answer to. Should 911 be dispatched to the house can she refuse transport. The reason why I ask is in texas in some legal aspects she is an adult even though she is 17. However does that also include the capablility of ROT.

My sister and I were sitting around the house a week ago and a interesting question came up which I didnt know the answer to. Should 911 be dispatched to the house can she refuse transport. The reason why I ask is in texas in some legal aspects she is an adult even though she is 17. However does that also include the capablility of ROT.

I would think that you would have to look at it from the state/legal perspective.

Just what aspects is she considered an adult?

I know that with medical control approval in Missouri I have let a 17 year old refuse transport but that was after I talked to medical control and the parents.

I think we need to know what parts of texas law is she considered an adult. I think if one piece says she's an adult then it's across the board but I'm not in texas.

Has she been pregnant? Has she had a kid? that makes her an adult and allows her to make her own medical choices in Missouri. Don't kow about texas though

Is she living on her own, in her own place, paying all her bills? then in missouri if she is, then she's considered emancipated and she can refuse

That's why it's so hard for us on this forum to give you concrete advice unless we are from the state you live in. I can give you all the missouri advice in the world but Missouri laws differ from Texas laws.

Does that make sense?

OK a quick google search and I get tothe Texas College of Emergency Physicians EMS protocol page My link pick your geographical area to find the current protocols.

I picked Houston as an example. Protocol 6.13 (F) states the Non Transport of Minors. According to protocol all minors should be considered for transport regardless of appearence or presentation. Unless an EMS Supervisor and base station physician authorize non transport.

In the Panhandle area 16 and older is allowed to RMA only if they are emmancipated, in the armed forces(wierd), pregnant, or living apart from the parents but not emmancipated but taking care of their own affairs (M-10 protocol)

I would suggest going through the list and finding out your protocols.

Hope this helps

I would presume that an "Emancipated Minor" could RMA (Refuse Medical Assistance), but question, except through OLMC, a non emancipated minor.

Please correct me, as we seem to be using differeent words for the same thing. I Say RMA, You say ROT, which I presume to be Refusal Of Treatment. Is that one and the same?

Please correct me, as we seem to be using differeent words for the same thing. I Say RMA, You say ROT, which I presume to be Refusal Of Treatment. Is that one and the same?

Pardon my poor usage of that acronym. I did not realize it had several meanings. I was thinking of refusal of transport. But from my perspective refusal of treatment is if the patient does not want any treatments but might want to go the hospital ( like taking vitals) and refusal of transport a patient allows treatment but doesnt want to go to the hospital. However my perspective of the two could have entirely different definitions in the law books.

Edited by promedEMT

Don't sweat it. When I don't know an acronym, I usually ask. It is, however a reason I ask all here to avoid acronyms, as what might be common usage by you, might be totally unknown by me, and vise-versa. It's a pet peeve of mine (with an imitation leopard skin collar!).