First "Real" Shift as a Paramedic!

Bieber

Couldn't find a better place to put this thread, so this is where it ended up.

So as some of you may know, I work for a busy urban service part time (I've applied for full time, just waiting) and recently got my paramedic certification in January. Thus far I've worked two shifts as a paramedic, totaling one call each of those shifts that I was up for; one ALS and one BLS. But tomorrow I'll be working my first shift at one of our busier stations (AVERAGE of 6-10 calls in 12 hours) tomorrow. To be honest, I'm a little nervous. It's only half a shift, since I have an exam tomorrow evening, but it's still a little nerve wracking. On the bright side, I'll be working with my former preceptor, but this will really be the first time I'll be working a heavy call load as a paramedic.

I'm still a little nervous, being new, but hopefully it'll be a good day. Anyway, I guess I didn't have too much direction for this thread, but I am a little anxious about it and wanted to vent. Wish me luck, I'll let you guys know how it went tomorrow evening.

P.S.

Actually, to give this thread a little more direction, I'll add some questions!

1.) How long did it take you to really start feeling "comfortable" as a paramedic? Obviously there are always calls that make you pucker no matter how experienced you are, and you'll never experience everything that EMS could throw at you, but in terms of feeling like you can handle your own without sweating too profusely?

2.) Do you have any good (or bad) "first day" stories?

Bieber: I'm sure that from your postings here , you'll be fine. When in doubt let your brain take charge and go with the flow.

My first shift alone in the back [1972] We had a motorcycle vs guardrail high speed crash with bilateral amputations below the knee. A 14 yo giving birth in a getto tenement basement. and a code in a 5th floor walk up. You want to talk about stressed out.

Not trying to make you nervous,

Good luck

Wow, what a day! It all went very well, and I had some very good and interesting calls. Got to see (and convert) my first SVT, rate of 180. Had a little trouble with the four-way stopcock, but in the end it turned out all right. And I saw an atrial flutter with a rate between 280-290 with new onset CHF. Tried some diltiazem, but it didn't slow down a whole lot.

I think after that, I feel a lot more comfortable handling some heavier call loads and some tougher patients. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Wow, what a day! It all went very well, and I had some very good and interesting calls. Got to see (and convert) my first SVT, rate of 180. Had a little trouble with the four-way stopcock, but in the end it turned out all right. And I saw an atrial flutter with a rate between 280-290 with new onset CHF. Tried some diltiazem, but it didn't slow down a whole lot.

I think after that, I feel a lot more comfortable handling some heavier call loads and some tougher patients. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

You chemically converted and used Diltiazam in the same day? Holy shit....

I've never pushed Diltiazam and have only cardioverted in any fashion maybe 8 times...Good day man!

Dwayne

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in a Paramedic class. Got about 10 months till graduation. But my first run (first clinical) was a massive brain bleed and the medic was awesome, treating and explaining things to me at the same time. =) my first clinical as a medic? Massive brain bleed. This time in a hospital where i got to follow through from the ER to CT to Trauma. And this time helped with intubation and IVs =) This thread just made me think about what they always say " To be a good medic you have to be a good basic." But it feels GREAT when that comes full circle and YOU know that you know what you are doing. =) My plan for gaining confidence is this.

1. To know my skills

2. To find a medic that i admire, and STICK to him.

3. To treat as many patients as i can, the best way that i can.

4.? idk, continuing education i guess.

This is a great career we have, but a complex and constantly evolving one. The best thing I think i can do is never feel like ive learned enough. Theres so much info out there.

• 3 weeks later...
P.S.

Actually, to give this thread a little more direction, I'll add some questions!

1.) How long did it take you to really start feeling "comfortable" as a paramedic? Obviously there are always calls that make you pucker no matter how experienced you are, and you'll never experience everything that EMS could throw at you, but in terms of feeling like you can handle your own without sweating too profusely?

2.) Do you have any good (or bad) "first day" stories?

1.) To answer your first question, I dunno. I still go bat shit, just from the phone ringing ! Seriously though, I do not know when one starts to feel comfortable. I seem to get quite comfortable, then out of nowhere, something comes along to shake me up, then it seems things are back to square one. My perception though, is the ones that are comfortable with all calls are the most desensitized, and I'm not quite sure I want to ever reach that point...

2.) LOL. I love it when people ask this question. Everyone seems to have a wild, rare, you see once in a great while type of call as their first call ever on the ambulance. Anyways, my first was an open femur fracture due to a vehicle wreck.... :whistle:

1. I've been a paramedic a little over two years and I still get the pucker factor on some calls. Sometimes, after I have a call that flows well and requires brain use I feel pretty confident in my abilities but that usually doesn't last too long. You never know what can happen in EMS!

2. My first paramedic call was for a man on cocaine that jumped off 4 stacked tractor tires, did a double backflip, and landed in about 8 inches of water on his feet. His only injuries were breaks in each foot and a pelvic fracture. He was lucky.