Patient Has A Service Dog

I was bit by a German Sheppard when I was a little kid. I'm terrified of German Sheppards. I know a dog is mean because it was trained to be mean or its a stray and is trying to survive, but I still have trouble with that breed. If its a service dog I will make every accommodation to take them with us, regardless of the breed.

So if I can put away my extreme and unnatural fear of the big dog, anyone else should be able to, especially in the case of a well-trained service related animal.

My husband has actually transported patients with service dogs several times. He adds that most of them will sit in a travel harness and are better behaved then most bystanders or family members on calls. Before the harness was standard gear for pet travel, he had a service dog just lay on the floor between the cab and box for the trip. He said it laid quietly and just watched its owner and never interfered even during the IV start.

Dogs are pretty smart. I'll take a service dog over a human any day.

You really need to take each encounter for its own merits. If the dog is aggressive in any way I cant take it with me, as I know that if the situation in the back with the pt the dog is going to react. I would have to ask the owner to make arrangements to get the dog to him in the hospital.

Ok lets take this to another level Mike. I personally do not have any fear of dogs, so it unlikely I would leaving a service dog behind, but what if you afraid of dogs. There are alot of people that are terrified of dogs, and a big german shepherd can be intimidating to someone with fears.

Service dogs are trained not to be aggressive - they know their job is not protection by aggression. I can't say "never will happen" but I do feel that the chances are incredibly slim.

If the EMS provider has a fear of dogs, they should realize that their fear is exactly that - it is theirs,.... if it interferes with patient care, they need to address it, and if that means calling in a second crew to transport the patient and their dog, then do it. Your phobia, pride, or embarassment need to come second to doing what is best for the patient.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, but I think that refusing to transport a service dog may actually violate the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Again- I have zero problem with a dog in the rig with us. If someone is truly concerned about allergens, then we should probably fully decon the rig after each patient who has a dog or cat in their home. The pet dander would be present on their clothes and belongings and would probably be present long after the patient and their clothes are gone.

Not trying to be callous here, but there is only so much we can worry about. A service dog is a disabled person's lifeline. They need these animals to be as independent as possible, and to deny them the right to have the animals with them seems completely wrong to me.

If I can have a crew transport a dead deer in the side compartment of the ambulance after hitting it with the ambulance, then I think we can transport a non-bloody, non-dead dog in the passenger compartment of the ambulance.

If I can have a crew transport a dead deer in the side compartment of the ambulance after hitting it with the ambulance, then I think we can transport a non-bloody, non-dead dog in the passenger compartment of the ambulance.

No they were transporting grocerys to feed the crew, that is much different than transporting a live animal. Really not sure why you did not have the crew hang the deer from the grab bar and start skinning and quartering it on the way to the station. :icecream:

The only problem with a service animal is if the patient becomes unresponsive and the dog interprets your actions in treating as threatening to its owner they may become aggressive. Animals no matter how well trained still go by instinct. That said service animal in most cases should be no problem.

No they were transporting grocerys to feed the crew, that is much different than transporting a live animal. Really not sure why you did not have the crew hang the deer from the grab bar and start skinning and quartering it on the way to the station. :icecream:

The only problem with a service animal is if the patient becomes unresponsive and the dog interprets your actions in treating as threatening to its owner they may become aggressive. Animals no matter how well trained still go by instinct. That said service animal in most cases should be no problem.

Actually the crew waited until they got back to quarters and then hung the deer by the garage door tracks and gutted it there. There is a lot more to this story but to suffice it to say, they got in a lot of trouble. The deer was also pregnant and the deer fetus was prominently focused in a 9th grade science class/project.

You really need to take each encounter for its own merits.

Agreed. But if the patient says the dog is coming with there will be no discussion. The dog travels with the patient.

If the dog is aggressive in any way I cant take it with me, as I know that if the situation in the back with the pt the dog is going to react.

Dogs with aggression issues are weeded out of training. The organizations that train the animals don't want an aggressive dog to go to someone who needs the assistance. If you're facing a situation where someone is claiming an aggressive dog is a service animal then someone is most likely lying to you.

Ok lets take this to another level Mike. I personally do not have any fear of dogs, so it unlikely I would leaving a service dog behind, but what if you afraid of dogs. There are alot of people that are terrified of dogs, and a big german shepherd can be intimidating to someone with fears.

Then they call for another ambulance to handle the call. If the patient is critical and waiting for another ambulance isn't an option then the provider with the fear of dogs needs to get over it and fast. It's not about you. It's about the patient.

For those who think that leaving a service animal behind isn't a big deal, try being the patient who relies on that animal. If you haven't had a lot of experience with people who use service animals, I suggest volunteering some time with organizations that cater to those with service animals. Spend some time with the people who use them. Find out just how vitally important the animals are to their people. Find out just how utterly lost the people can become without their animal. These dogs aren't family pets. They are vital to the daily survival of their people.

So there is no other level. Service dogs will not be separated from their people.

...A service dog is a disabled person's lifeline. They need these animals to be as independent as possible, and to deny them the right to have the animals with them seems completely wrong to me.

I'm certainly no expert on service animals, though I did train assist animals for handicapped patients when I was training, but what service is this animal going to provide during the ambulance ride or hospital stay other than emotional support? A person requiring a service animal will have human helpers to provide all of the necessary support and care plus a lot more.

And I think that Happiness makes a great point. If you have a severe fear of dogs, and I know many that due, transporting this dog in your unit may not be an option. Though it's nice to say "You just have to suck it up and provide pt care" that is not always possible. There is almost always a work-around, but not always. If this is an ALS patient and I simply can't bring myself to have the dog in the compartment, front or back, then either the dog stays, or the patient is completely informed of their condition and the consequences of refusing, as in any other situation, and refused. (Of course this assumes the common scenario addendum, "No other trucks available, a million miles out in the country without cell/radio service etc.)

Dwayne

Dinner?

All jokes aside though, you are correct. If the patient was unconscious or something like that and was unable to give the dog commands, this might change my opinion. But, he WAS able to make a request to bring the dog with. This means he was conscious and alert right? These dogs aren't something you pick up at the pound and put a collar on them and have at for a service dog. They are highly trained to be with their owner. They see for them and look out for dangers. They are not a threat unless they are threatened... ie forcefully removing them from their owner.

As for allergens... seriously? You work on an ambulance and you are worried about pet dander? Yeah, sure I understand people have allergies to these animals but this is a bit much. You are an EMS provider that responds to numerous calls a day to various locations with unknown occupancies in these homes. There may be 20 cats, 3 dogs, gerbils, snakes, birds, etc etc... would you refuse to treat these patients because of your allergies? You should expect to run into these homes with pets. If you have an allergy to them, then you really have no place to complain about going to homes where they are when it's your job to go there. Put on a mask, get some visine and grow a set.

edit: Only the 'dinner' part was directed towards you Ruff.

Edited by FireMedic65

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.