Online CEUs

kndoug1

Hey all!

So I have started working on my CE units so I can re-cert and I have done several courses with the school I did my EMT training through. The only problem with that is that the school is 2 hours away from where I live, and there aren't any campuses up where I live that offer courses unless you are a registered student with them because they are private colleges. So, I was wondering if anyone in California knows of a good place to take in class courses?

Also, does anyone know of any good online websites that offer CE units for EMTs? I came across EmCert.com. Has anyone heard of them? I did their free online class, and I really liked the way it was structured, but I'm not sure if there are any benefits to online vs. in class courses. If anyone has any opinions on in class vs. online courses, I would love to hear what you think the best way to do the CE courses are and if you prefer the online, what websites have you found to be the best?

Thanks!

www.ems-ce.com

offers EMT and medic ceus online

I know that I recerted with this group and the state of missouri has approved them for my recert process.

Prices are pretty reasonable.

Last time I checked if you took all their classes and took all their tests that you would end up with over 150 hours of CEus.

Let me first say that I have only taken one online EMS related class, from the CSX Corp, a free "interactive railroad safety training for first responders" (www.csxsafe.com). I also took a New York State Department of Motor Vehicles accepted "Defensive Driving" online class, which reduced my car insurance payments.

Might I suggest, before making the investment in any on line Continuing Medical Education (CME) class, that the training credits offered are accepted by your local, state or provence, or national EMS authorities, i e the Department of Health,

All excellent posts so far. Definatly check to see if the companies are certified in your location.

As far as differences between online and inclass depends on the CEU.

I took my CBRNE, Haz-Mat, ICS 100 and 200 online most of those CEUs is strictly book learning, nothing really hands on so online is sufficent. Now if your looking at more in depth CEU's where hands on would be a benifit then go to class.

In my area my State Dept of Health issues classes and online CEUs directly from them so I know they are certified. The online course catalog is pretty basic and is ment to be able to have you learn outside the classroom most of the book work then move into a classroom if hands on is required. Just like the ICS 100 and 200 delt with the basic structure and layout, same as a book, but for 400 500 and 700 its all classroom as they deal in scenarios and hands on. Instead of the course being several days longer because of learning the book work who handle it then transition into hands on.

Another thing to consider is your own personal learning style. Some folks are great at book learning other hands on. Get a feel for an online course, take a simple one, maybe a free one thats just 1 ceu so if it doesn't work out for you you didn't loose out alot in time or money. Just to see if its your cup of tea or not.

Check with the state to see if they will recognize online CEH's. Many states don't or only allow a certain number of hrs to be done that way.

Here they allow up to 10 hours online out of the 56 required for a basic to relicense.

Here in Texas I am using rapid ce. I am looking for an alternative though as some of their material is not current.

Some of my co-workers have used them for all their CE hours. I am unsure of the pricing, as it is paid for by my employer, but their are quite a few CE topics.

Good luck to you!