Longest cardiac Arrest with viable resuscitation

On January 8, 1977 in Winnipeg Canada the following happened

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=0553587129&page=excerpt

1977: 20-year-old Jean Jawbone was revived by a cardiac team at Health Services Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her heartbeat had stopped for three hours 40 minutes.

From the Guinness book of world records

Longest heart stoppage The longest recorded heart stoppage is a minimum of 3 hr. 40 min. in the case of Jean Jawbone (Canada) who, at the age of 20, was revived by a team of 26 medical staff using peritoneal dialysis in the Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, on January 8, 1977.

It also seems that this guy did just fine too

Longest cardiac arrest The longest cardiac arrest lasted four hours in the case of fisherman Jan Egil Refsdahl (Norway), who fell overboard off Bergen, Norway, on December 7, 1987. He was rushed to Haukeland Hospital after his body temperature fell to 75¡F (24¡C), and his heart stopped. He made a full recovery after being connected to a heart-lung machine

Edited by Ruffems

On January 8, 1977 in Winnipeg Canada the following happened

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=0553587129&page=excerpt

1977: 20-year-old Jean Jawbone was revived by a cardiac team at Health Services Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her heartbeat had stopped for three hours 40 minutes.

From the Guinness book of world records

Longest heart stoppage The longest recorded heart stoppage is a minimum of 3 hr. 40 min. in the case of Jean Jawbone (Canada) who, at the age of 20, was revived by a team of 26 medical staff using peritoneal dialysis in the Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, on January 8, 1977.

It also seems that this guy did just fine too

Longest cardiac arrest The longest cardiac arrest lasted four hours in the case of fisherman Jan Egil Refsdahl (Norway), who fell overboard off Bergen, Norway, on December 7, 1987. He was rushed to Haukeland Hospital after his body temperature fell to 75¡F (24¡C), and his heart stopped. He made a full recovery after being connected to a heart-lung machine

If I remember correctly there is alot of new research on getting a pt into a hypothermic condition ASAP as it may save more lives. With that being said I do believe that age is a big factor and the health of the pt. I wonder what the age of the Norway guy was. The body is an amazing thing :thumbsup:

Actually, I think the longest cardiac arrest is significantly longer than a couple hours... whistle.gif

yep that is true but I think I quantified the post where it was a successful resuscitation but you don't miss a thing do ya???. :devilish:

Edited by Ruffems

Its cool that NYC has implemented Hypothermic Cardiac Resuscitation. There's allocated hospitals for it. I'm all for change to benefit the patient.

It would be great if the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) was on board; if they increased their scheduled reimbursement wages this will help healthcare institutions to survive. If they do; HMO/PPO/EPO will increase their remibursements too. DHHS needs to balance Gov't sponsored insurance. Premimums and Copays need to be enforced and inplemented. That's another argument for another time.

Things always come full circle. If it was a hit then; it'll be a hit today.

There are audits and restriction that has crippled the healthcare institutions. As science has advanced, wages and benifits increased, taxes gone up, insurance premiums on the rise, attorney retainers, stocking & re-stocking costs, vehicle maintenance, computer aide dispatching, GPS, refective strips, denial of insurance claims, payroll tax, etc: this has not made it easy on the employer.

Ex. Many people have Medicaid in NYS especially the Nursing Home residents. At the base reimbursement for ambulance service at $139.50 (Regardless of care; ALS & BLS; travel distance: emergency or non emergency; carry down or carry up; morbidly obese or non obese). How do companies survive? Medicaid reimbursements has gone down over the last decade, as expensives has gone up.

What I'm saying is; look at your net income and your expenses. Say if your net income continues to go down but your expenses goes up. How do you survive? You won't.

So sorry for hating but we all hate something relating to the government.

But awesome FYI stuff, thanks....

• Like 1

Its cool that NYC has implemented Hypothermic Cardiac Resuscitation. There's allocated hospitals for it. I'm all for change to benefit the patient.

It would be great if the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) was on board; if they increased their scheduled reimbursement wages this will help healthcare institutions to survive. If they do; HMO/PPO/EPO will increase their remibursements too. DHHS needs to balance Gov't sponsored insurance. Premimums and Copays need to be enforced and inplemented. That's another argument for another time.

Things always come full circle. If it was a hit then; it'll be a hit today.

There are audits and restriction that has crippled the healthcare institutions. As science has advanced, wages and benifits increased, taxes gone up, insurance premiums on the rise, attorney retainers, stocking & re-stocking costs, vehicle maintenance, computer aide dispatching, GPS, refective strips, denial of insurance claims, payroll tax, etc: this has not made it easy on the employer.

Ex. Many people have Medicaid in NYS especially the Nursing Home residents. At the base reimbursement for ambulance service at $139.50 (Regardless of care; ALS & BLS; travel distance: emergency or non emergency; carry down or carry up; morbidly obese or non obese). How do companies survive? Medicaid reimbursements has gone down over the last decade, as expensives has gone up.

What I'm saying is; look at your net income and your expenses. Say if your net income continues to go down but your expenses goes up. How do you survive? You won't.

So sorry for hating but we all hate something relating to the government.

But awesome FYI stuff, thanks....

Sorry, but I'm a bit lost. What exactly does this rambling have to do with this thread? Maybe you could start your own thread on reimbursement rather than clutter up other conversations with unrelated stuff.

I dont know if I have the exact reference available.....but I recall two extreme cases where suddden immersion hypothermia was the proximal cause and the arrest lasted (IIRC) close to 6 hours. Both occured in Canada AND (IIRC) the same paramedic was involved in both cases. But it has been a number of years since I read the articles so I may have some of the facts wrong.

I dont know if I have the exact reference available.....but I recall two extreme cases where suddden immersion hypothermia was the proximal cause and the arrest lasted (IIRC) close to 6 hours. Both occured in Canada AND (IIRC) the same paramedic was involved in both cases. But it has been a number of years since I read the articles so I may have some of the facts wrong.

Speaking of derailing the thread....Good to see you Croaker! Where the hell you been??

Dwayne

Speaking of derailing the thread....Good to see you Croaker! Where the hell you been??

Dwayne

Oh good, creeping about here and there poking my head in to offer sage (AND NOT SO SAGE) thoughts....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.