Medics with science backgrounds...or...not...

PRPGfirerescuetech

Medic background...Science, or Vocation?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Medics with science backgrounds are always better...
    • Medics with vocations backgrounds are much better...

I'm really glad I opted to take the extra classes through the associates program. Getting the extra info from 2 A&P classes, 2 pharmacology classes, extra airway and cardiology work, plus chemistry from State earlier, have all made my confidence go up even in basic calls. Having the understanding of how the body works and how drugs you are administering effect the patient at a deeper, more in depth level and knowing how that plays into your treatment is so important! It really pushes us to work harder and keep learning.

I agree that sciences should be added as a part of the standard ALS curriculum with perhaps some basic sciences in the BLS curriculum. Part of our knowledge should also include the science behind what we are doing, why is the effect happening, what two chemical mixtures inside the body would be dealy or helpful?, etc. This is the "why" part that we should be learning.

-Alco

I feel both are good traits in a medic and both have advantages, As far as college goes it is a reality that until all paramedic hold at least an Associates degree that the profession will limit it's self, nursing is going through a similar debate, whether all Rn's have to have a BSN...I think yes ... education leads to greater professionalism and less old cowboy stuff, the days of cowboy medics are done let us tell the stories and move on , the profession as a whole will be better with an educational background instead of the quagmire we have today

I am sort of on the fence here, as are several others. I feel that ALS practitioners should have a strong collegiate health science background as well as a strong BLS and precepted ALS patient care background. As ALS providers we are no longer practicing strictly "cookbook" medicine, we now take a patient's pathophysiology into account as we choose our treatments and to correctly do so is quite difficult without both experience and education.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.