New to EMS field HELP PLEASE

emtdavexnc

I am very interested in becoming some type of EMT but I am unclear on many things. I just dont know where to begin, could someone help clarify different levels eg fire, private, emtb, i and p. I am 17 and have my GED. Im ready to begin the process so I just want to know if I should take classes or volunteer or both. If someone could just help get me started, also I have done some research online so I know some basics but im getting mixed messages and its is unclear. Thank you in advance.

I am very interested in becoming some type of EMT but I am unclear on many things. I just dont know where to begin, could someone help clarify different levels eg fire, private, emtb, i and p. I am 17 and have my GED. Im ready to begin the process so I just want to know if I should take classes or volunteer or both. If someone could just help get me started, also I have done some research online so I know some basics but im getting mixed messages and its is unclear. Thank you in advance.

Hi! First of all, welcome. You will get a lot of good information here. There are people who are new to EMS, as well as those who have been around a while, so this is a great place to start looking for some help!

To start out, in what state do you live? I know that some (if not all) states require you to be 18 before you can start EMT school. Also, you have to start out as an EMT-B (or EMT-1). Here in California, I have noticed that the fire departments don't really hire EMT-B, you have to be an EMT-P and fire fighter. EMT-I is a good step for those who do not really know where they want to be, or at least from what I have seen. That is an intermediate step between being an EMT and a medic. They are taught limited advanced life support, but again, here in CA I have really only seen either EMT-B or EMT-P, not too many of the other. If EMS is where you want to be, then I would recommend finding out the minimum age requirements for your state/schools, get your EMT-B, and then go to medic school.

Another thing to look into is the age requirements for your local ambulance companies. A lot of private companies will not hire you until you are 21. I am having this problem while looking for a job because I just turned 20. Even with a clean driving record, a lot will not hire under 21 because of their insurance policy, so definitely check into your local companies. But other good places to look into are your local hospitals. Once licensed, you can work as an ER-Tech, so I would highly recommend also taking an EKG course (basic 3 and 12 lead) as well as a basic dysrhythmias course. Both of these will help you get a job in the ER.

Hope that helps and good luck!

~Kristina

Hi Dave.

Welcome to the forums. The first question I have for you is what do you want to do? I know this is a loaded question for being 17. I remember when I was 17. I couldn't tell you what I wanted to do next week much less five or ten years from now. But it is an important question as it will help direct our answers and advice for you.

It's ok if you're not sure on the details or what certain positions/provider levels are called. We'll figure it out along the way. But if you could help at least give us an idea what you're interested in doing with yourself I think you'll get much better guidance.

So... what do you want to do?

Thanks to both of you for the prompt response. I live in Raleigh,NC. I am interested in the most challenging and highest paid for both reasons equally. I would like to be someone in an ambulance who attends to emergency calls, I think it would be more exciting in a big city but im still far from knowing the specifics. Also I would like to know the pros/cons of associating with the fire department.

Also I would like to know the pros/cons of associating with the fire department.

You have arguably one of the best EMS systems in the country on your doorstep - Wake County EMS. I would suggest learning as much about them as possible.

I would suggest becoming a volunteer firefighter. If you have it available to you, they can give you insight... they possibly can help pay for classes, and you could experience both the firefighting part of it and the medical/EMS side of it too. I live in Kansas and I know that in our rural districts they are desperate for volunteers and are willing to pay for all training. I know a lot of 17-18 year olds that volunteer and they LOVE it. It gives them the opportunity to get a ton of life experience... plus they just love getting in the trucks and wheeling around. I admire that. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I would suggest becoming a volunteer firefighter. If you have it available to you, they can give you insight... they possibly can help pay for classes, and you could experience both the firefighting part of it and the medical/EMS side of it too. I live in Kansas and I know that in our rural districts they are desperate for volunteers and are willing to pay for all training. I know a lot of 17-18 year olds that volunteer and they LOVE it. It gives them the opportunity to get a ton of life experience... plus they just love getting in the trucks and wheeling around. I admire that. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

FYI, Wake County EMS is a stand alone EMS system. Although they work closely with Raleigh FD, they are not affiliated. In fact, there is only one Fire/EMS service in NC that I am aware of. I don't see the point of joining a FD if he wants to pursue a EMS career.

My advice to the OP is to finish high school and enroll in the Emergency Medical Science degree program at Wake Tech if EMS is what you truly want to do. There are some really great EMS services in NC. Wake, MEDIC and Forsyth County readily come to mind.

Like paramedicmike stated, it is difficult to know what you want to do in the future at the tender age of 17. We know, we've been there. I suggest you give Wake County EMS a call and see if they have a ride-along program (I'm certain they do). Explain that you are interested in becoming a Paramedic and would like to observe the crews at work. Until you actually are exposed to what EMS is truly like, you really don't know.

Edit: I just re-read your opening post. I neglected to see that you had your GED. Kudos to you for finishing school! Stop by Wake Tech and ask an advisor about the EMS degree programme for this fall. If your going to do this, go big!

Edited by JakeEMTP

Hi Dave, Im Brian. I am also 17 years old and I am currently going through the same about where to start off. I live in NY, many different regions have different protocols. You may start your EMT-B classes at 17 years of age, but you cannot take the written test until you are 18. In my area, the different levels of training are as follows:

CFR-Certified First Responder-- One step below an EMT-B and you are eligible to take this class at your age.

EMT-B-

EMT-CC

EMT-P

My area does not do EMT-Intermediates, but your region might.

I am currently an observer at my local Ambulance service to try and gain experience before I start my classes. You should check into that in your area. Most agencies do accept applications for observer only at 17 years old and the time you spend really pays off.

Good Luck!

emtdavexnc ... your 17 ? get into medicine !

Volunteer in local a hospital, just to check it out.

EMS is way too overrated, do not set your sights so low.

cheers

• Like 1

Wow thanks to all of you for this goldmine of information. I am learning so much and realizing their are so many differnet oppurtunities, as well as seeing there is much debate over the best path to take. If wake county is such a great place for emt I will most likely take the course at Wake Tech to become a paramedic and probably do the ambulance ride along program instead of joining the fire dpt, do you think that is adaquete experience or is that not enough?

Also to tniuqs what do you mean by medicine? I am not interested in being an rn and I have thought about doing x-ray,ultrasound,nuclear medicine, but to me it is too much shcool for me and would be boring and less rewarding. Are there other similar careers for more pay or something?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.