Meethinks someone is lying (At least I hope so)

CBFLATLINE

We don't really know what occurred and the reports seem to indicate this guy made some good medical decisions and was actually quite helpful on scene.

She was also delivered to UMC very quickly and on her way to the theatre in about 30 minutes. Dr. Rhee has credited her pre-hospital course as being helpful and ultimately resulting in her rapid delivery to UMC.

In spite of what some may think, assume or say, all indications are pointing to good delivery of care in spite of letting the guy ride in the back. A judgment call was made in the middle of what had to be a terrible situation and it may have paid off on this case. Perhaps, it could have been disastrous, but I see no real benefit in Monday morning quarterbacking things at this point.

Take care,

chbare.

"In."

Edited by chbare

Interesting. I must be alone in my thought process. While I will encourage someone to go POV so that they have a vehicle for the return trip, I haven't minded having a rider.

Flip side is...I haven't had "that rider" yet that would give me cause to rethink this personal policy.

Ya, 7 years in and I have yet to have that rider either.

Although, I am pretty good at reading peoples coping mechanisms, and am pretty quick to put people up front if I think thier going to be a problem.

After seeing a few stories related to this topic and the OP from what I had gathered is the following...

Yes he had ID, in every photo its hanging right around his neck and a local LEO was by his side.

She was holding his hand for dear life literally. She squeezed it upon command from him and the medics.

I think in this unique case the medics felt he was helping the patient. If she would not let go of his hand and they were using at as patient assesment then I see no foul here. As everyone has heard she is doing remarkably well concidering a through and through GSW to the head. ED Docs and everyone else is giving kudos to the prehospital care provided for this outcome. So if they let him ride along (I do believe they did) it apparently did no harm or distraction to the medics.

We can all arm chair quarterback this MCI or any for that matter. I believe in the heat of the moment whatever was done was what was felt to be right. The outcome thus far has been positive. If this gentelman really did what he did (I believe he did) then he should be congratulated not ridiculed same goes for the medics that treated her.

From all that I have read and heard on the news, he tried to stem the bleeding, and kept talking to her, trying to calm her. His voice was a voice she knew. He was given accolades for his actions yesterday at the State Assembley in Arizona.

We were not there. Can we really decry the decision making of those that were? I certainly can't.

That is my two cents worth.

Cookie

• Like 3

I would never let family or friends in the back of the ambulance on a call like this. Sorry, but we're busy and they only get in the way. My experience is that people respect the fact that we have a job to do and they need to give us space to do so. Family and friends are welcome to ride along if they want, but UP FRONT.

Oh also BTW, there isn't anything "unique" about this from an EMS standpoint. Despite the circumstances, this is just another patient, and IMHO the job shouldn't change no matter who it is or how it happened.

Edited by fiznat
  • Like 1

I would never let family or friends in the back of the ambulance on a call like this. Sorry, but we're busy and they only get in the way. My experience is that people respect the fact that we have a job to do and they need to give us space to do so. Family and friends are welcome to ride along if they want, but UP FRONT.

Oh also BTW, there isn't anything "unique" about this from an EMS standpoint. Despite the circumstances, this is just another patient, and IMHO the job shouldn't change no matter who it is or how it happened.

Clearly you have never been involved in a high profile case, with tons of media and VIP's around. It quickly becomes a major cluster...

I wish I could find the picture, but when a former mayor had an MI and died, there was a famous photo that showed the ambulance pulling away from the scene, with so many people in the patient compartment, they could not close the rear doors.

It looked like a friggin clown car. Every one of those people claimed to be the mayor's best friend, closest/,most important aide, bodyguard, chief of staff, etc and the crew had 2 choices- argue or simply pull away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.