What does your department carry in your ALS or BLS bag.

emtbasic13

Wow, Linuss, that must be a pretty heavy bag! I'm impressed with all your medications, especially the heparin. I forgot to add Labetolol in my list, we do carry that but I've never given it. It looks like you operate under some pretty progressive protocols.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Linuss, that must be a pretty heavy bag! I'm impressed with all your medications, especially the heparin. I forgot to add Labetolol in my list, we do carry that but I've never given it. It looks like you operate under some pretty progressive protocols.

Bag is actually only a bit heavier than an LP12... I'd say 35ish pounds, and considering an LP12 is about 25ish, it's not bad. I say it's only slightly more than the average ALS bag. But hey, I can guarantee it's less than our Stryker power cots :D

Ah, forgot to add our cric kit is in the main pouch as well.,

Oh yeah, very progressive, which is what I love about Texas: The agency decides what they want, not some bureaucrat. RSI, DAI, surgical and needle crics, foley caths, OG/NG tubes, Code STEMI / Stroke / Trauma activations, heck even the EMTs can do Kings and 1:1 Epi for allergic reactions (no epi pens).

1. PROCEDURE

1.1 To establish general guidelines and procedure for the types of equipment that shall be utilized at the scene of an assignment.

2. SCOPE

2.1 This procedure applies to all members of the EMS Command and to Voluntary Hospital ambulance personnel who provide pre-hospital emergency medical care in the New York City 911 system.

3. RESPONSIBILITIES

3.1 All members shall:

3.1.1 Maintain all personal issued equipment in good working order.

3.1.2 Be responsible for checking vehicle and equipment at the beginning and end of their tour.

A. Members are responsible for inspecting their assigned vehicle for defects.

B. Whenever possible, members shall rectify the defect. When this is not possible, such defects shall be reported to the Supervisor.

C. Members shall inspect personal and vehicle patient care equipment and supplies, and take corrective action (including reporting defects to their supervisor) to replenish, as necessary.

3.2 Supervisors shall:

3.2.1 Assist members in replenishing equipment and supplies in order to expedite units going into service.

3.2.2 Verify and correct vehicle equipment and supply deficiencies, when possible.

<BR style="PAGE-BREAK-BEFORE: always; mso-special-character: line-break" clear=all>

4. PROCEDURE

4.1 All members shall carry the following equipment to the scene of all assignments:

4.1.1 Fully equipped Technicians' Bag (required for EMT members only)

4.1.2 Stethoscope

4.1.3 Sphygmomanometer with cuff

4.1.4 Bag-valve-mask (with adult and pediatric masks)

4.1.5 Watch with second indicator

4.1.6 Penlight

4.1.7 Oxygen regulator with portable oxygen cylinder

4.1.8 Patient carrying device.

4.2 In addition to the items listed in Section 4.1, EMTs shall carry the AED to the scene of all medical assignments.

4.3 In addition to the items listed in Section 4.1, Paramedics shall carry the medical bag and monitor/defibrillator to the scene of all medical assignments or the trauma kit to the scene of all trauma assignments.

4.4 Paramedics shall carry a telemetry unit to the scene of all assignments in which they have reason to believe that ALS intervention will require contacting On-Line Medical Control.

4.5 Members shall carry any other appropriate equipment that dispatch information indicates may be required (e.g., splints for fractures, etc.).

4.6 Members shall carry any other appropriate equipment indicated by the NYC REMAC ALS and BLS patient-care protocols.

5. RELATED PROCEDURES

5.1 NYC REMAC ALS and BLS Protocols

6. APPENDIX

6.1 Appendix A: Minimum Supplies Carried in a Technician Bag

Rev. 09/23/04

BY ORDER OF THE CHIEF OF EMS COMMAND

Above is EMT Technicians bab for BLS, below is Paramedic ALS.

ITEM

STANDARD SUPPLY

MINIMUM QUANTITY

*Minidrip

*Macrodrip

*Extension Tubing

*NaCl 0.9%

1000 ml bag

*NaCl 0.9%

250 ml bag

*NaCl 0.9%

50 ml bag

*IV Prep kit

*Nebulizers

Small Disposable Sharps Container

Bag valve mask (Complete) Adult size – disposable

Bag valve mask (Complete) Pediatric size – disposable

*Nasogastric tubes #6, 16, 18 French

1 ea.

*Water soluble lubricant

Tape - 1"

1 roll

Disposable Isolation masks

Intubation Kit – Complete

*DeLee Suction Device with Vacuum break and filter

Medication Insert – Complete

Alcohol Preps

Saline Locks

Intraosseous Needle (IO) kit

Needle Cricothyroidotomy/ Needle Decompression kit

* Items must be maintained in sterile packaging, until time of use.

BY ORDER OF THE CHIEF OF EMS COMMAND

• 3 weeks later...

In your drug bag should be all the drugs, IV caths, ET, sharps container, IO, syringes, macro/micro sets, fluids (50, 100, 250, 1000ml IV Bags, D5W (50 & 100ml), tegraderms or band-aide & papertape, alcohol & providine preps.

Oxygen bag should have all the diff software, short splint or SAM, irrigation, Adjustable Collar w/ Headbed, handpowered suction, all the O2 delivery devices (Adult & Peds), & D Oxygen Tank.

I don't believe in first or second line drug bags. When you do that; you assume the bare minimum is all you need. When we all know patients are dynamic and never textbook.

Fortune Cookie Proverb: Its better to have & not need; than to need & not have.

In NYC, Mark-1 Kits are in its own bag along with HYDROXOCOBALAMIN & SODIUM THIOSULFATE for Smoke Inhalation/CO Poisoning...

I like to have enough in my box to run a full code without having to run back out to the truck (though the EZ IO stays in the truck, so we would have to run out for that), and enough to get my patient from point A to point B alive. Personally, I prefer doing most of my treatments in the back of the truck than on scene unless they're "must be done now" stuff; i.e. codes, unstable arrhythmias, active seizures, etc.

Its not about preference. I do agree about working up the patient in the back of the Ambulance (while transporting) but you need to have all of the drugs and supplies. In Urban Areas; where there are buildings with elevators. Pt living greater than the 10th Floor; elevator stuck or you're stuck in the elevator car with the pt & the pt is in Status Epilepticus or Asthmaticus, Exacerbated COPD. Respiratory Failure RT APE or Tension Pneumo, FBAO, etc. Reason(s) why first line drug bag is a bad idea; this can lead to Malpractice and/or Lawsuit.

Remember its better to have & not need, than to need & not have... All the best...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.