Holiday Winter Storm in NYC.

tniuqs

OMG watching CNN news you guys got freaken dumped on big time !

Hey ever consider moving up to Kanukistan we have way less snow eh!

ok some days I just have no control over me fingers.

Serious Question .. maybe get the Mayor to fund some tire chains for your buses for a repeat event.

cheers

They actually didn't get all that much snow. In the neighborhood of 20 inches. Not catastrophic by any chance of the imagination.

The real problem is that snow removal in the city is completely controlled by the Sanitation department, yep the garbage collectors union.

The union bosses wanted to show Bloomburg who was really in charge of things in the city, so they had what amounts to a blue flu event, except their members didn't call in sick, they just sort of drove around without really plowing a whole lot of snow. Then they managed to find a side street where they could get their garbage trucks stuck while they sat in the cab and slept for hours until someone with a piece of heavy equipment towed them out.

All the while getting paid and many of them well into overtime scale.

I'd like to hear from Richard on local opinions of this event.

The information I got was from a customer in Manhattan on a major arterial route who only saw a plow go by his building twice in 36 hours and the second trip the truck had the plow blade 6" in the air.

They actually didn't get all that much snow. In the neighborhood of 20 inches. Not catastrophic by any chance of the imagination.

The real problem is that snow removal in the city is completely controlled by the Sanitation department, yep the garbage collectors union.

The union bosses wanted to show Bloomburg who was really in charge of things in the city, so they had what amounts to a blue flu event, except their members didn't call in sick, they just sort of drove around without really plowing a whole lot of snow. Then they managed to find a side street where they could get their garbage trucks stuck while they sat in the cab and slept for hours until someone with a piece of heavy equipment towed them out.

All the while getting paid and many of them well into overtime scale.

I'd like to hear from Richard on local opinions of this event.

The information I got was from a customer in Manhattan on a major arterial route who only saw a plow go by his building twice in 36 hours and the second trip the truck had the plow blade 6" in the air.

20 inches of snow isn't catastrophic? By who's standards? Unless you are talking about Colorado or Wyoming, that's most of NYC's average annual snowfall in one day.

http://www.climatestations.com/images/stories/new-york/nysnow.gif

As for the job action- if this is what these guys did, it's despicable.

On other EMS sites they are reporting that the 6th highest ambulance call volume recorded in NYC history ? I dunno.

20 inches with drifting is an real event here in Kanukistan too, although we approach it a bit differently, because its not a shock, its expected makes for good skiing and sleding (power that is)

Personally I hop in my 4x4 a yota with my chains, winch and go out to pull folks out of ditches I am kinda out in the country. I do not do it for cash just fer fun, that said rhum I do accept as a gratuity.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

20 inches of snow isn't catastrophic? By who's standards? Unless you are talking about Colorado or Wyoming, that's most of NYC's average annual snowfall in one day.

http://www.climatestations.com/images/stories/new-york/nysnow.gif

As for the job action- if this is what these guys did, it's despicable.

20 inches of snow is hardly enough to get the snowblower out of the shed for.

20 inches of snow barely covers the garbage in the streets of NY.

20 inches of snow barely slows a NY city rat down

NY had several storms last winter that brought that much new snow on the ground.

Yes, the snow was nice to watch with a cup of hot cocco, sitting by the fireplace.... I am a Manager at a Private Company in the Bronx, NY... I had to go in because I had several units stuck; lucky I have an X3.... Hospitals wanted patient discharged during the storm; demanded it.... I had a crew stcuk the whole night by Montefiore North.... Nothing anyone could do; I had another unit go with the shovel to try to dig them out; no luck.... Nothing was plowed; nothing....

I can't blame one person for this snow; other than mother nature.... The Mayor is to blame because he's the Mayor... If the allegations are true that the NYC Dept of Sanitation Brass ordered workers to start late, skip streets, take long breaks, etc because of labor disputes with the city; then those involved should be terminated; pension voided, and healthcare suspended, and all perks one receives when they leave sanitaion, gone. This was uncalled for; this explains why the street to my garage wasn't touch at all; not until 2 days later. Ridiculous ppl will do this for personal gain.... FDNY EMS kept calling for mutual aide during the storm... A call the day before; maybe I could have helped; not the night of.... This may change NYC/FDNY EMS's tune; to charge non FDNY EMS 911 Units $72,000 a tour come 1/1/2012...

This and other reasons made me leave NYC. I live in Orange County NY; they had the streets done later that morning and afternoon.... Streets were drivable come Monday noon... The Bronx at that time was still buried. I had patient's street, sidwalk, walkways snowed covered. Their appts cancelled as a result. Thousands of dollars was lost due to the snow on that Monday alone. So kudos to NYC Dept of Sanitaion for the stunt they'd pulled to hurt everyone in NYC.... THANK YOU...

20 inches of snow is hardly enough to get the snowblower out of the shed for.

20 inches of snow barely covers the garbage in the streets of NY.

20 inches of snow barely slows a NY city rat down

NY had several storms last winter that brought that much new snow on the ground.

I cannot sense sarcasm, so I hope you are kidding.

Did you actually read the link?

The median snowfall for NYC, from 1869-last year- was 27 inches. Yes, some years were much higher, some were much lower. Point is, I would not dismiss 20 inches of snow as insignificant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.