Scared stiff

EMT-B 55

On a call to a two car wreck, I got scared stiff.

One of the drivers had his left foot stuck. I entered the passenger side and was on the floor trying to free the driver's foot when the right side air bag deployed over my head.

I failed to take serious the MOI and got scared stiff with no injuries. So be carefull when working a wreck

On a call to a two car wreck, I got scared stiff.

One of the drivers had his left foot stuck. I entered the passenger side and was on the floor trying to free the driver's foot when the right side air bag deployed over my head.

I failed to take serious the MOI and got scared stiff with no injuries. So be carefull when working a wreck

I'll bet you never ever ever ever do that again. So lesson learned.

EMT-B55, were you under the airbag's path of travel, and just frightened by the shotgun sound, or actually hit by the bag as it deployed?

I keep hearing anecdotal stories of EMTs, Paramedics, LEOs, and Fire Fighters, even after the vehicle battery is disconnected, being hurt by late deployment of the bags during patient extrications and disentanglements, and recall seeing restraining devices that cover the steering wheel airbag. I do not, however, recall seeing any ads for a cover for the passenger side, or the "curtain" style side air bags. Has anyone seen any ads for them?

Just on a precautionary note, I will add shock absorber style energy absorbing bumpers. In front or rear end collisions, they absorb the impact by moving into the vehicle, but sometimes get stuck in a compressed status. From after they became the standard, I have read of rescuers walking in front of them (obtusely, in back of them in a rear collision), and getting creamed when the bent plastic or metal suddenly releases, allowing the bumper to fly 30 feet or more, along with parts of the rescuers unlucky enough to be in the way.

I keep hearing anecdotal stories of EMTs, Paramedics, LEOs, and Fire Fighters, even after the vehicle battery is disconnected, being hurt by late deployment of the bags during patient extrications and disentanglements, and recall seeing restraining devices that cover the steering wheel airbag.

The airbags run off of capacitors. In laymans terms, a capacitor works as a battery, holding a charge until it is needed. Once the battery cable is severed, these will drain, but depending on size/design it can take anywhere from 5-30min. Thats why there is still a risk.

I do not, however, recall seeing any ads for a cover for the passenger side, or the "curtain" style side air bags. Has anyone seen any ads for them?

I think, but am not certian, that these depoly with a lower (albeit still dangerous) velocity than the drivers, due to having a bigger space between the passenger and the glovebox. If you look the steering wheel can be a foot or two closer than the dashboard, so the drivers airbag needs to cover that space more rapidly.

They have a device to prevent injury from a late deploying driver side airbag, but the passenger side, not that I've seen. Best you can do is keep away from it, and cut the battery cables. Updated Vehicle Rescue courses also help, esp. w/ side curtain airbags, side-impact airbags and hybrid cables; these education programs mainly aid in cutting locations.

Edited by 4c6

Am thankful I've never been on the receiving end of that, either from a victim or rescuer standpoint. One more reason why I am glad to be the guy who has to wait till they're out of the car....

Jim

Re the video: That rescuer is going to have a story to tell, on how he got whiplash in a car travelling 0 MPH. Actually, file that under a possible miss under scene safety. That airbag sure rocked his world.

One thing you should do when airbag deployment should have occured and hasn't.

Cut both battery cables, yes both, some manufactures run negative systems. (rescue should be doing this anyways)

Secondly, hit the airbag with a long object. In my area FD rescue uses their Halogen or a Maglight. Sometimes the shock of the hit forces the bag to deploy if the capacitor still has charge left. Of course if there is a patient between the airbag and the seat DONT DO THIS STEP. If their is a patient I have seen FD cut the wires to the bag itself, some just pull the fuse but I am not sure how effective just pulling the fuse is.

As others have stated take a UVR course. Even if you dont do the actual rescue except for the packaging it will give you insight into what to look for and know what to ask for if you feel it is unsafe to do your job.

Airbags are a PITA nowadays, I wish vehicle maufacturers would come up with a way to disable them if your EMS have a button or switch or something that way we know we are safe.