Ouchy!

EmsChick85

:confused: Okay so this might be a stupid question but remember Im only a basic!! Okay so on Thanksgiving I ended up falling down (thanks 2 cusions) on my knuckles which are now swollen & bruised!! I can move my fingers but when I put slight pressure onto my pinky knuckle and move the finger you get a rice krispie (sp) feeling!! My uncle thinks that it is a boxer's break but others do not think so!! People are telling me that if it was broken I would not be able to move it!! So my question is do you think that it is broken?? I am going for an x ray later today but I thought that I would ask!! Thanks!! :bonk:

:o I know the info a basic needs 2 know!! I was just asking because I told my mom and others what I should do for it!! But they do not believe me so I wanted someone else 2 put it in writting so I could show them that I know wtf I am talking about!! Thats all so thanks for your info!! :mad:

Easy there... I was trying to suggest not to put yourself down, as "Only a basic" and I gave the only advice I'm qualified to give.

Stop moving it, splint it, possibly ice it, if you like using it maybe seek medical care soon before it heals awkwardly, and get an x-ray. I was thinking that short and to the point, was what you wanted to hear. Maybe it's dislocated? Maybe there are muscles or ligaments torn, I've never.. knock on wood.. fractured a finger. Nor have I treated specifically, a fractured finger. I was giving you what I thought you were looking for, a personalized effort toward answering your question. *I apologize if it wasn't the correct answer.

Edited by 4c6

:confused: Okay so this might be a stupid question but remember Im only a basic!! Okay so on Thanksgiving I ended up falling down (thanks 2 cusions) on my knuckles which are now swollen & bruised!! I can move my fingers but when I put slight pressure onto my pinky knuckle and move the finger you get a rice krispie (sp) feeling!! My uncle thinks that it is a boxer's break but others do not think so!! People are telling me that if it was broken I would not be able to move it!! So my question is do you think that it is broken?? I am going for an x ray later today but I thought that I would ask!! Thanks!! :bonk:

Just because you can move it does NOT mean it's not fractured and/or dislocated. That "rice crispies" feel sounds like crepitus- broken bones rubbing together. Sounds like you very well could have a boxers fracture of your metacarpals. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your luck. Hope it all turns out okay. :beer:

Sorry to hear about your luck. Hope it all turns out okay. :beer:

Get an xray and be done with it, not going to hurt anything to get it x-rayed.

If it's broken and you leave it alone then you run the risk of additional nerve, vessel and other sorts of damage. If it's not broken then you only out the cost of the x-ray and pain med script if they give you one.

But listen to you hand and not your friends and family who have no medical training. You do.

EMSChick85, it has been suggested to knock on wood. Don't, until after getting the X-Ray, the pain might be intense.

Seriously, your friends and family are not inhabiting your body, YOU are.

You have specific complaints following a possible injury. Get seen, and one way or another, everyone will know if your injuries are real or not. And from what I have read here, you have a real injury.

• Like 1

First off, stop listening to those that don't know what they're talking about!

Second, it's your body, and you know whether this 'rice krispies feeling' is 'normal' or not. If it's not, then it only stands to reason that you should get it looked at.

There is a big misconception that 'if it's broken, you wont be able to move it'. That's bull puckey!

Crepitus is the sound of the two broken ends of a bone grating against each other. This is not a 'normal sound'. Alternating between ice, heat, nothing for periods of 15 minutes each should help with the inflamation. Be sure to place a barrier (like a small towel or washcloth) between the source of cold or heat and your skin.

NSAIDs (like motrin, aleeve, ibuprofen) have been shown to inhibit fracture healing (this bit of information came from the orthopedic doc that treated my broken wrist).

If you feel you've broken a bone, by all means rely on your education and training, then have it looked at.

LS

I have had a boxers fracture before and could move my wrist and my pinkie finger. I didn't get it checked out and didn't follow the doctors instructions once I did and now have a big bump over the knuckle and still don't have full range of motion. They had put me in a removable cast to keep it from moving but still allow me to bathe etc, and I hardly wore it and now I'm paying the price for it.

Get it checked out and listen to the doctors.