good day eh!

PCP

Good evening everybody! Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to emtcity. I live in Nanaimo British Columbia Canada and I have just recently received my Primary Care Paramedic license. Basically I can start IVs, give certain medications for a pt. experiencing SOB, drug overdose, Anaphylaxis response, chest pain, hypovolemia, and medications to a pt. experiencing a hypoglycemic emergency as well as we run a Not yet Diagnosed protocol which is a combination of checking for low blood sugar or if they have overdosed. I am not sure as to what level of care that would be considered down in the United States? I work for the British Columbia Ambulance service who currently employ about 3400 EMR, Primary Care Paramedics, Advance life support paramedics, ITT medics, and Critical Care Paramedics.

I have been with the service now for just over 2 and half years and loving it! As stated above I just received my PCP license and now I am able to transfer out of my remote station that had about 200 calls per year to a station that I am starting in December that gets about 5000 calls a year! We run three ambulances out of the station one is a full time car, one back up car, and the other one is mainly for transfers from one hospital to another which round trip depending on which hospital we are transfering to is any where from 1 and half to one way to 3 hours one way.

Any ways, I am looking forward to chatting with you all, and hopfully getting to learn some new things, as well as sharing some great stories!

Take care and be safe out there everybody!

Brian Strachan.

• Like 2

Welcome to the City, Brian! :wave:

Lucky you to be living in Nanaimo, BC. Do you have to go to the mainland for the busier station? Good luck with the new job and position. Don't ever stop learning and keep your compassion no matter what. And of course...safety first above all else!!

Hope you enjoy the City and learn and share your experiences. Some good folk on here.

Have a great Thanksgiving (or is it already over in Canada? I can't remember.) and Holiday Season and keep safe (and warm!!!)

Cheers :beer:

Aussie.

• Like 1

Welcome to the City! Don't forget to click on chat, when there's some folks on board. We have quite a number of cool, well educated, folks from CehNehDeh! Always wanted to visit BC, myself. Enjoy the site, it can be a helpful tool for quick advice from different backgrounds and minds; or if you're just having a bad day.

• Like 1

I am not sure as to what level of care that would be considered down in the United States?

The PCP scope of practice in BC would be roughly equivalent to EMT-I85 (Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate 85 standard). The scope of education would be roughly equivalent to EMT-I99. The easiest way to remember it is for EMT-B think EMR, EMT-I think PCP, EMT-P think ACP. Strictly in terms of scope of practice. In terms of education things can vary wildly from place to place.

I work for the British Columbia Ambulance service who currently employ about 3400 EMR, Primary Care Paramedics, Advance life support paramedics, ITT medics, and Critical Care Paramedics.

I'm a mainlander from the southern interior myself. Currently I'm on an educational LOA doing my ACP training at SAIT in Calgary. My three year anniversary with BCAS will be the first of January. I started out working as an EMR in Lillooet (est. 700 calls a year) and lateralled to Merritt (est. 2700 calls a year) after 14 months and my PCP training.

You will find plenty of good knowledgeable people around here to bounce ideas off of. Quite a few Canadians included. For some reason many of the Canadian members are from Alberta, a few from BC, a few from Saskatchewan, and a few from Ontario. The other provinces are not that well represented. I don't think I've ever come across someone from Quebec.

• Like 1

The PCP scope of practice in BC would be roughly equivalent to EMT-I85 (Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate 85 standard). The scope of education would be roughly equivalent to EMT-I99. The easiest way to remember it is for EMT-B think EMR, EMT-I think PCP, EMT-P think ACP. Strictly in terms of scope of practice. In terms of education things can vary wildly from place to place.

I'm a mainlander from the southern interior myself. Currently I'm on an educational LOA doing my ACP training at SAIT in Calgary. My three year anniversary with BCAS will be the first of January. I started out working as an EMR in Lillooet (est. 700 calls a year) and lateralled to Merritt (est. 2700 calls a year) after 14 months and my PCP training.

You will find plenty of good knowledgeable people around here to bounce ideas off of. Quite a few Canadians included. For some reason many of the Canadian members are from Alberta, a few from BC, a few from Saskatchewan, and a few from Ontario. The other provinces are not that well represented. I don't think I've ever come across someone from Quebec.

I know a guy from the "Sooke" station who is doing his ACP training at SAIT right now as well. You may know him, his name is Marcus Mcpherson. I use to work with at the mine site that I work at as a first aid attendant. Actually my cross shift is there right now for the next two days with your class I am assuming as a observer. He is wanting to take the course starting next September.

Thanks for the post and the information. Good luck in you ACP training.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.