Practicum

Hello all,

I am waiting for practicum placement and I have started to review. I am not sure how in-depth I need to go, maximizing the time I spend studying is my goal.I want to make a good impression and not cause additional stress or drama for my preceptor and not make a fool of myself. How much hand holding is there once I enter into my practicum and how much training will I be provided by my preceptor if any? What topics are key and expected to know inside and out. I appreciate any information or advice this forum can provide me.

Hello all,

I am waiting for practicum placement and I have started to review. I am not sure how in-depth I need to go, maximizing the time I spend studying is my goal.I want to make a good impression and not cause additional stress or drama for my preceptor and not make a fool of myself. How much hand holding is there once I enter into my practicum and how much training will I be provided by my preceptor if any? What topics are key and expected to know inside and out. I appreciate any information or advice this forum can provide me.

Without knowing anything about your specific program, this is what I feel I can tell you that will be universal. If you have the opportunity, schedule a meeting with your preceptor prior to your first clinical/ride out and ask him/her these questions. In addition, you will also want to find out his/her expectations. Be prepared with a list of your goals that you want to get out of it. Discuss how you think/work and the best way for feedback to be given so that you can accept it without prejudice.

Ultimately, you two need to decide the play book for the best experience possible.

When I did my practicum I was lucky where my preceptors where willing to let me watch for a couple calls and then they let me attend the calls. One thing to remember is show respect when you are being precepted and ask lots of questions after a call, as well as ask for feedback good or bad. I have been told by a few preceptors that the worst thing a student can do is not show respect to them or to the other crew members working at the station.

For the most part I am sure you know your stuff, all you have to do is apply it now. The preceptors are there to help, which most cases they will let you do your thing, but if they feel that there should be more questions asked then they will ask them or suggest to you that you should be asking specific questions.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.