11/ 11/11 2010

tniuqs

Wow that story was inspirational. Definatly passing it along! I just want to thank all of our veterans for their sacrifices, some the ultimate, for it's because of you I can type this, it's because of you we have this web site, its because of you I have the freedom to be an EMT.

Thank You

To others just a simple reminder

THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

• Like 1

As a veteran, it's stories like that that touch the heart.

All too often, we tend to forget those that have stood up to defend our countries. We forget the sacrifices that the soldiers, airmen, marines and sailors have made to provide the very freedoms that we take for granted every day.

I've noticed (at least in the United States) that there is a big show of support for those that served in WW I, WW II and the Gulf War; but there is NOTHING to really show support for the troops that served in between those eras.

ANY person who enlisted and stood ready to lay their life down for their country should be treated as a hero, not just select groups. While the Veteran will tell you that we were 'just doing our job', we all know that 'just doing our job' could very well cost us our life.

No, not all of us faced the 'Red Menace', the 'Axis Powers' or the 'Axis of Evil'; but we ALL stood ready to defend you and our country from what ever was on the other side of that door.

I don't expect a parade or other celebration for each and every veteran individually, but if you're going to honor some of us, honor ALL of us, we deserve it just as much as the other groups do!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing! I was sent the same story at the start of the school year and made sure to send it along to others. I wish all teachers understood the responsibility that they hold and took it as seriously. That is a potent lesson and one that every child should be taught. Freedom is a concept that is highly taken for granted in our society today and those who serve are rarely given much thought. Our modern warrior culture, brought about by an all-volunteer military of professional warriors, experiences a deep chasm of separation from the rest of society. They don't understand us and we have trouble understanding them. People forget that we're still out there, putting our lives on the line every day, until they hear about some tragedy or mistake on the news. And even then, the thought is gone with the next story on the latest exploits of Lindsey Lohan. I don't mean to sound bitter, as I am not. It's a life we all chose and I for one am extremely proud to have served and will do so again if I am called. But the above story, the actions and thought behind it, is more poignant today than in any other time in our history. Veterans used to be a part of everyone's life in some way or another, everyone was vested one way or another in previous major conflicts. Being a veteran automatically came with a certain degree of respect and shared experience. Today's veterans tend to live in on the outskirts, in the shadows, many returning again and again to the field of battle without a second thought by the average citizen. Those of us who are no longer fighting, we struggle with the gap that exists between us and "civilians", unable to ever truly put our service behind us, nor wanting to. So this week, take time to really consider not only the sacrifices and valor of those who served before us, but also those modern vets and those who serve now. Remind yourselves, and your children, that you "sleep safe in [y]our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Happy Veterans Week.

quote by George Orwell

Edited by maverick56
  • Like 2

As a veteran, it's stories like that that touch the heart.

OMG my Dear Friend LS who has helped me through times of personal trial, I did not know that you served, please forgive me Bret I should have known with your strength and determination of military training I guess I am a fool.

But since we are on the topic ....

Lets not forget the Civilian Contract Medics that serve and die, but brought home in a jar, no pomp, no prestige, no glory and very little recognition Close Protection Support Medics, like Blackwatch, KBR, Triple Canopy so hats off Brother's.

cheers

I would like to share this just newly found picture of my Grandfather and My Grandmother archival but wish to share, damn I have no idea how to up load ... argh.

LS incoming email help asap.

My GrandFather lost an eye, after WW1 Fort Gary Cavalry yes horses that one he used to give ice cream to and was stamping feet If the horse did not get a ice cream too ... Funny how that sticks in your head EH ? My Grand Father was mustard "gased" in WW1 the Somme in the trenches and became a POW in France. ONE German was very kind to him and as a result my Uncle was named after him, after my uncles death guess just guess at who got the handle ? laughing ..... I have yet to live up to that name.

My Grandfather wanted to go back and kill the Nazis in WW2 but sent his Son in a Mosquito Fighter night bomber because he himself My Grand Father was deemed unfit (one eye)now after losing his Son. He sent my Mother his daughter as a nurse to Korean (the forgotten war) as a MASH type RN CAF RCAMC in Japan with the Brits and the Yanks ... if asked I will tell a story that will rip your very heart out than my Mother told me on her death Bed 2 years ago about the YANKS and how awesome they treated Canadians !

William Frederick Kilpatrick: Flying Officer (Pilot) RCAF Ops. Royal Canadian Air Force. 406 Sqdn. K.I.A. 23/03/1945 -Age 23

Cemetery: Weerselo R.C. Cemetery, Netherlands

http://www.jackiefreemanphotography.com/roll_of_honour.htm

William Frederick Kilpatrick: Flying Officer (Pilot) RCAF Ops. Royal Canadian Air Force. 406 Sqdn. K.I.A. 23/03/1945 -Age 23 Cemetery: Weerselo R.C. Cemetery, Netherlands

http://www.jackiefreemanphotography.com/roll_of_honour.htm

post-8540-0-31461400-1289439321_thumb.jp

Please let US all remember those who sacrificed thier very Lives so that we would have the freedom to vote, practice any religion, organise labour +++ and freedom of speech even if we are bloody wrong.

I ask of all of you please share lets make this the longest thread in the history of EMT City.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I would like to share this just newly found picture of my Grandfather and My Grandmother archival but wish to share, damn I have no idea how to up load ... argh.

Simply ask my friend, and you shall recieve!

FtGaryCalvary.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Bro !

Am in your electron debt.

Let folks see, what a HERO really looks like.

cheers

You really gotta tone down the covalent bonding.......the neighbors are begining to talk!