Would you look at a patient's cell phone for ICE information?

uglyEMT

I have never gone through a patient's phone. My time was better spent treating the patient and getting them to more definative care than I could provide. If PD or the ER staff have time, then let them do it.

I won't go through a patient's billfold either. Again, that's a job for law enforcement. I don't need the headache of the patient saying how they had $10,000.00 in cash before the wreck, and EMS must have taken it....

Knowing the patient as "John Doe" or "Alfred E. Newman" isn't going to change the care rendered, nor is it going to affect the outcome.

Usually, on wreck scenes, you've either got law enforcement on scene or enroute. They've always been more than eager to go skulking through personal belongings for the identification. Private residence calls, Extended Care Facilities (ECF) usually know who the patient is and can give me all the information needed.

With as complex as cell phones have gotten (with all their apps and such), I don't need to be sorting through all their contacts and other personal information to try to find 'someone to call' when I should be dealing with the patient in front of me.

On a scene with multiple patients, you've more than likely got multiple phones, are you sure that you've got the right phone for the right patient?

Wow alot of responses and all the same.

Yup I agree I wouldnt be going through a cell for ICE. Like everyone has said, if the situation is that critical where I cant get the info directly from the patient then let the ED handle it.

Richard, the question I posed was related to the CNN article where a EMS director is telling people to do the ICE in the phone thing. I wasnt posing a hypothetical just trying to find out if others feel that way thats all.

I agree that let the PD check wallets, info, ect ect. Let us just handle the call.

Maybe I should send this director a link to this thread LOL and let her know its not prudent telling folks to ICE their phones. If anything put that on a card in a wallet so PD knows what to do.

Seems we are mostly in agreement: Let someone else go through the patient's pockets for ID and cell phone ICE listings, we EMSers are going to concentrate on patient care and transport.

Actually, if I find a medical alert device that says "see wallet card" with no other specifics, I might ask the LEOs or hospital security to assist or monitor me going into the contents of a patient's pockets, looking for said card.

Seems we are mostly in agreement: Let someone else go through the patient's pockets for ID and cell phone ICE listings, we EMSers are going to concentrate on patient care and transport.

Actually, if I find a medical alert device that says "see wallet card" with no other specifics, I might ask the LEOs or hospital security to assist or monitor me going into the contents of a patient's pockets, looking for said card.

I wholeheartedly concur with your assessment of the situation. If I absolutely HAVE to go rummaging around in someone's wallet, pocketbook or purse, I'm going to make damn sure that I've got witnesses! I am NOT going to get blamed for taking something that a) was never there, or B) that I didn't take.

Unfortunately, only the mere accusation of impropriety is enough to destroy an otherwise outstanding career.

No need to do it where I work we do mostly BLS transfers. If the case came up to ever look though a patients phone we probably would not do it.

With the sole exception being Verizon Wireless phone if it ever came down to it. Since they have the icon in many of there handsets phone book for ICE. But its only if the user selects it for a contact and adds it and even then its a gray area but nice to have in a pinch or what if situation.

Actually had a co-worker do just this the other day. Pt had been involved in an MVA and had bumped their head and couldn't remember own name, however was desperate to make sure their spouse knew what had happened and that we were transporting them to the hospital. Unfortunately, when they handed my co-worker their cell phone, they also said, "I can't remember that name either." My co-worker searched for the ICE listing and (thankfully this pt had programmed that into their phone) was able to notify their spouse.

The only time I have had any dealing with ICE, but in that case, it worked great.

Ok here is the question... would you look in a patient's phone for their ICE information?

Me, personally, no. Seems to be a high percentage of people who password protect their cell phones, so it really is a moot point. I recommend to people to put an emergency ID card in their wallet with their driver's license along with their list of meds/prior hx/allergies. That seems to be the first place we look when faced with an unconscious patient.

Does anybody look for a Medical Alert device necklace, wristband, or ankle bracelet anymore?

Yes, we do. But, I'm also finding many who choose not to wear one of those either. Silly people.

I've looked, found and called the number. ONCE only. NO other times required it.

I also have a friend in the level 3 tech support at Sprint and there was one time when he helped me break the lock on a phone from a critical car accident victim.

It took about 20 minutes but I had that time available as the patient was the only one in our ER and everyone else was working on helping the guy.

We were able to successfully break the lock on the phone and get ahold of the persons family. Soon after he died of his injuries but being he was 1100 miles away from home it was good we got ahold of someone or he would ahve been just another john doe until fingerprints or dental records would have identified him.

Why not put a ICE number in your wallet or purse? Wouldn't that be a better idea than a cell phone anyway. Most of the times when you are driving the phone is on the seat next to you or in a cup holder or somewhere and then when you get hit or hit something then that cell phone is going flying in the car. Can't say the same about wallets. They usually stay in the back pocket of the patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.