EMT/Paramedics in NY

ShortC

Hey, I will be starting paramedic school in January(yayyy) lol in upstate NY and I was just wondering if there was anyone who is currently or has worked in New York as a EMT or paramedic? If so could you tell me what the job offers are like and possibly the best places (fire station, police station, etc.) to work. By the end of May, I will be a EMT-basic (hopefull) and was just wondering what I have to look forward to.

Thanks so much,

Courtney

How far "upstate", as where I live, if it isn't Nassau/Suffolk County, or New York City, it's upstate, even Yonkers.

LOL

Then, there's my friends in the Black River VFD and EMS. They claim to be so far upstate, if they sneeze, someone in Canada says "Bless You!"

How far "upstate", as where I live, if it isn't Nassau/Suffolk County, or New York City, it's upstate, even Yonkers.

LOL

Then, there's my friends in the Black River VFD and EMS. They claim to be so far upstate, if they sneeze, someone in Canada says "Bless You!"

LOL well to be exact, I go to school in Morrisville which is about 30miles from syracuse so im not too far off from canada lol. I am orginally from Newburgh which is much closer to NYC. :)

Hey, I will be starting paramedic school in January(yayyy) lol in upstate NY and I was just wondering if there was anyone who is currently or has worked in New York as a EMT or paramedic? If so could you tell me what the job offers are like and possibly the best places (fire station, police station, etc.) to work. By the end of May, I will be a EMT-basic (hopefull) and was just wondering what I have to look forward to.

Thanks so much,

Courtney

Quick question. Are you going to be a Basic or a Medic? You state paramedic school in January then say Basic by May. Just wondering thats all, its a big difference when it comes to jobs.

Quick question. Are you going to be a Basic or a Medic? You state paramedic school in January then say Basic by May. Just wondering thats all, its a big difference when it comes to jobs.

Yes in January, I will start my Basic training and if/when I finish in May, thats when I will take my test and then be a basic EMT.

Ok got it now.

As a basic I would try and get on a squad be it local or FD. Up in that area I am not sure if your ambulance is fire based or stand alone.

Get on a rig and start running calls :thumbsup: Its the best training you will ever get.

Courtney, I worked in several jurisdictions in NYS,, mostly in the lower counties, NYC, Nassau, Rockland, Westchester.... The bottom line is whether EMT or Paramedic, the further you get from NYC, USUALLY the lower the salaries are.

As far as paid BLS, which i think is what you are looking for EMT's are a dime a dozen so pay is relatively LOW....

For Southern NY I would look for a job @ RPS, Empress, FDNY-EMSC..... There are some private Hospitals the will usually not hire a new EMT/Medic.

You could also look for a private amb company, but RPS does hire BLS for their transport units...

Good luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.