I need help

Here is my issue. Should I follow through with school? I found out that I have Addisons Disease/ adreanal insufficiency 3 years ago in Novenber. I went to school for EMT B 2 years ago, finished 1st in my class and loved every bit of it. I want to keep going to EMT P. However this is my worry, will the county/state let me work? How would I find out? Most of the places that I know of are Fire/Medics. One issue with my disease is dehydration, it could cause me to have siezures. I have had a job in the past where one of my jobs was search and rescue on a ship. Where I have spent a lot of time in bunker gear with no problems. As you all are well aware of is school is not free. I would hate to spend so much money on a career the I can't be a part of.

Here is my issue. Should I follow through with school? I found out that I have Addisons Disease/ adreanal insufficiency 3 years ago in Novenber. I went to school for EMT B 2 years ago, finished 1st in my class and loved every bit of it. I want to keep going to EMT P. However this is my worry, will the county/state let me work? How would I find out? Most of the places that I know of are Fire/Medics. One issue with my disease is dehydration, it could cause me to have siezures. I have had a job in the past where one of my jobs was search and rescue on a ship. Where I have spent a lot of time in bunker gear with no problems. As you all are well aware of is school is not free. I would hate to spend so much money on a career the I can't be a part of.

My recommendation? Talk to your physician about this.

When was your last seizure? Do you have a drivers license/ are cleared to drive? My guess is that that would be the biggest issue to being able to find a job.

I have never had a siezure, it's something that could happed if I don't take in plenty of electrolites when sweating a lot. Yes, I do have a good, clean drivers license also.

Don't give up on something you enjoy. Continue on with your education and go on from there. Do not hold back because of what might happen 2yrs down the line.

Thanks for your support!

I know of a medic that has such a peanut allergy even being in the space of it on someones breath can knock him out cold, as far as I know he is still working. One of my partners is as bad as you can get with diabetes but she has never been in a coma etc, but with that being said she did have to wait for 1 1/2 years to be able to go on car. There was an issue with her doc and the company doc.

If it something you luv carry on but try to get better information on the Companies that may not accept you.

good luck

I have never had a siezure, it's something that could happed if I don't take in plenty of electrolites when sweating a lot. Yes, I do have a good, clean drivers license also.

Thanks for your support!

Here is a great link to good info on Addison's http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/addison/addison.htm

ok, if your doctor says you can work and says to you that Addison's disease will not keep you from fulfilling the aspects of the job then your prospective employer has no right to know. They can't even ask you about medical history. They can ask you "do you have any conditions that would cause you problems and not allow you to carry out your duties as a EMT or Medic"

If you can keep your disease in check and manage it like many diabetics do then there is no reason why you should stop your attempts at doing this job.

Now if you said Yes to the conditions question the employer might ask then they might not hire you. But since you seem to be able to keep your disease under control then I think you are all right to keep working towards the job you want.

I have two friends with Addisions or some form of it and both are medics. they know when they are getting into trouble and they fix it. I would think you could do the same.

Goodluck.

Edited by Ruffems

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.